A bit late for Halloween but....

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Heckler, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Heckler

Heckler New Member

Attached Files:

2. McGee

McGee Newbie

Okay now those are both realllly cool. Great job on both. I really dig them both.
    They both have those photo realistic textures and weathering, and if you married either one into a photograph of a local city block, in a part of town where you would see buildings of these styles, with a photoshop, they would look legitimately eye fooling i think.
  3. McGee

McGee Newbie

There are a LOT of areas and neighborhoods here in Spokane, that reflect an attitude of " i dont give a crap" and the houses are really aged and beat up and not kept up and just older looking than they are...the bottom mansion looks eerily like some...err..MANY of the houses here.
    That's not an insult to your model building. They look reallly cool. We just have alot of very aged "haunty" looking houses here.
  4. McGee

McGee Newbie

It makes for one really dirty ugly a(&* city, but GREAT for a really visually impacting photo journal
  5. Heckler

Heckler New Member

Thanks McGee, it's only been since building these two and reading a little more around the Amityville murders and subsequent events that I've noticed how many houses in the States are made with wooden sidings. I believe these two are in the Dutch colonial style (though I am happy to be corrected)

It's extremely rare on this side of the pond to see houses not made of either brick or stone, in fact when you take out insurance on a house anything not brick or stone is described as 'non-standard' and comes with a hefty uplift in prices.
  6. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

I've gotta tell you: architecture models are not my thing, but you did a great job on those. as McGee said, the textures really add a huge ammount of realism to the model.
    Magnificent job!
  7. McGee

McGee Newbie

It's extremely rare on this side of the pond to see houses not made of either brick or stone, in fact when you take out insurance on a house anything not brick or stone is described as 'non-standard' and comes with a hefty uplift in prices.[/QUOTE]

wow.. that is super fascinating. when Im back on my feet, and can get out, I will go on a drive through the city to neighborhoods where Im positive I will be able to find houses that very much match the look of these houses in style and their condition. It wont be hard, because there are a LOT of neighborhoods here that reflect that.
    Maybe one of the photos I take and post will inspire someone for a design, and in that event I will be happy to get better detail shots for the design and build reference.
  8. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Heckler, both of those look great! Ir those are your "first timer" builds, you're off to a awesome start.
  9. micahrogers

micahrogers ...And the Wife...

just great, and you captured the creepy look just fine.
  10. Heckler

Heckler New Member

Thanks folks, really appreciate the feedback. When you're building you see things you're not happy with and would've prefered to have done better, but each one, I suppose, is a learning point for the next model.
  11. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Nice houses!! I think a lot of model railroaders would like these. I think most of the houses here (in the states) are wooden because they are easier to build, and, as I witnessed in the U.K., when I was there, foundation problems can be catastrophic. I replaced a 13' foot section of foundation by myself, jacked the house up 8 inches, as it had settled a bit over the last 60 years. The newer part of the house is fine, actually, all of it is now. The 2x4's are so hard that you have to predrill the holes to nail them! Wooden houses, built right, easily can and do last 100's of years. :)
  12. angelode

angelode Member

Excellent work, the Bates house looks really awesome. Thanks so much for sharing.
  13. mauther

mauther Active Member

Just Great! :)
  14. zyzygy

zyzygy New Member

nice work. talent shines