A Big Build Thread 1:50 Shuttle, 1:48 Saturn V, flying SR-71

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Regie, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Regie

Regie Member

Well, I've managed to ruin the flying 1:48 Saturn V I was attempting, so i'm reverting to a non-flying version. (Based on Ton Noteboom's designs). While I'm at it, I'm going to have a go at a 1:50 shuttle. Not sure where I downloaded this from, but I think it's the same model as the one referred to in other 1:50 shuttle threads.

I'm also guiding a group of kids from my school in a build of a set of flying SR-71 Blackbirds, based on Mike Baur's designs, except we're going to adapt them for solid rocket motors.

To stop me slacking off from any of this I'm going to post my progress on all three projects here. Any coments, criticisms or observations would be welcomed - I'm a real novice at this and I have a whole fleet of models to build before the summer.
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow, this ought to be fun! But you think you've got enough stuff planned? Maybe you ought to add a couple more! <ducking>

Rick
  3. Regie

Regie Member

heh. You should see my "to do" list! There's a whole load of stuff waiting in line...
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I wonder if there's anyone here who doesn't have a to-do list at least a year long?

5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Well, Rick,

My 'list' will probably keep me busy for the next ten years or so . . .

Best,
    Bengt :roll:
  6. dhanners

dhanners Member

I thumbed through my stack of unbuilt models the other night, and it was kind of depressing. So much stuff I want to build, so little time. And instead of starting on a new project this past weekend, I just "tweaked" an old one.

I had come across a couple of reports discussing the possibility of using the Atlas V as a launcher for CEV Orion. They had a diagram showing the Atlas V Heavy -- the one with three Common Booster Cores -- with the center CBC topped with a second stage carrying the CEV and a launch escape system. Some months ago, I built an Atlas V Heavy (photos here: http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery9/dh_atlasv.htm so I lopped off the upper three-quarters of the payload shroud, added a CEV and LES and called it a day. Less work than starting a whole new project, yet I felt I accomplished something. And I doubt many other folks have a model of one....

I'll post photos when I get around to replacing my broken digital camera.
  7. Regie

Regie Member

Well, I've got the cockpit of the Shuttle started - can I ask a stupid question? How do I post pictures here?
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You can create yourself a gallery on this site and upload your photos when you click on the picture in your gallery you can copy the link the browser. Then come and post in here (use post reply not quick reply) and there is an insert image icon at the top of the typing window.
    Chris
  9. Regie

Regie Member

Thanks!
  10. Regie

Regie Member

11. Regie

Regie Member

Oops. There was supposed to be a picture there. I'll get th hang of this eventually...
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think it failed because thats a link to a webpage not a link to just the picture...
    Chris
  13. Regie

Regie Member

OK, trying again to show you a picture...[​IMG]

This is the crew cabin of my 1:50 shuttle, as of last night. Build progressing slowly due to lack of time...

[​IMG]

More progress expected soon - otherwise this thread is going to be rather dull!:wink:
  14. Regie

Regie Member

Oh, and thanks cgutzmer, for pointing out what I'd done wrong with the pic - images are a bit of a blind spot with me and I'd have sat staring at the screen for hours before I worked it out!
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shimada Shuttle Model cockpit

Hey Regie,

Your shuttle cockpit look sreally good! I still haven´t had time to start to assemble my model (too many other projects going at the moment).

I´m looking forward to seeing more of your build.

Good luck,
    Bengt :grin:
  16. Regie

Regie Member

Slowe progress

The shuttle build continues slowly. The ither builds have stalled for a moment...

[​IMG]

The nose piece going onto the assembled cabin unit...

All fixed on - shown on keyboard for scale:

[​IMG]

I have to say that the only thing slowing me down is time. When I first printed the model out I was slightly worried by the apparentl volume of small fiddly parts - and there are a lot of them. But in fact they're going together really well. This is a dream model to put together and I have to say I think it's going to look brilliant when it's done. What a great kit!
  17. Regie

Regie Member

Thanks rickstef for fixing my images - I meant to go back and sort them out but just plain forgot.

It's appreciated.
  18. Regie

Regie Member

OK, so, it's been a while. The builds continue slowly - still nothing worth showing you with regard to the Saturn or the Blackbirds, but the Shuttle is looking very different now.

The cocpit section, as seen in the previous post gets a simple covering on the front, and then this box section

[​IMG]

is created for the cockpit section to sit on top of, like this:

[​IMG]

I can't begin to tell you how simple this is. The designer is nothing short of a genius.

Next comes the beginning of the delta wing section, growing from the back of the cockpit section, and the completion of the nose. Work has started to go a little slack in the run up to Christmas (and half my students are now absent on exam leave, which helps...) so hopefully things will speed up on all three builds now.
  19. Regie

Regie Member

I've just noticed - I'm an "Extreme Veteran" now. When did that happen? More to the point, how?!
  20. rickstef

rickstef Guest

you posted 60+ messages

that how we do that

Rick