"A Battlestar's Quest" aka "Raiders of the Lost Crest"

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A quick and dirty test build of the mockup. I have two dimensions available. The efx helmet is 34 cm wide, the auction catalogue says the original prop was 30 cm wide. I printed a 2D image according to these data to check out which one looks better. The 34 cm version looked a tad too big, the 30 cm version a tad too small. So I rescaled the mockup to 32 cm.

DSCF9061.jpg DSCF9064.jpg DSCF9065.jpg

No, this is no toilet seat..! :D

DSCF9066.jpg DSCF9067.jpg DSCF9069.jpg DSCF9070.jpg DSCF9071.jpg DSCF9072.jpg

The light bars are still to come but at the moment I am really content with the result. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you - the dirt is added in the next step. :D

I have added the light bars. Unfortunately I noticed that the back edges of them hit my temples, so I guess I'll have to rework these areas. Other than that it looks fine. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
So I take it that you do not want it to look like this one?;)
bsg-helmet-psych.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have tweaked the mockup further and reduced the polycount to make the foldings easier and the flaps larger. So far I have built two versions in different sizes to check out which one looks better. The main problem I have is that different sources state different sizes of the real prop. Amazon says, the efx helmet is 34 x 30 x 30 cm (which can't be fully true because the width and length are not equal), the Hollywood auction catalogues say the original prop was 30 cm high. So I took a value inbetween (32 cm) and find it a good fit for an "average" head (whatever that means ;) ). I do have a certain advantage as I have a similar statue like Dirk Benedict. We are about the same height (+ / - 1 cm), thus I assume that our heads are of similar size, too. So I'll have to compare some shots of him and me wearing the helmet to be sure.

In the meantime I give you a sneak peak at the kit. I have attached the 32 cm version of the mockup for you to check out. Feel free to toy around with it - but please keep in mind that this is a simplified version which cannot be used to produce a good-looking prop replica. The final (good) one will come with the final kit, including a proper texture and the detailing. The mockup is designed for fast and easy assembly to check out if you have to scale up or down the final plans to make your prop fit on your head.

Strangely Pepakura has produced some zig-zag lines in the unfold (I have no idea why it did that and I was unable to get rid of that). Ignore that and imagine these lines as being straight. To save ink I recommend to print the pattern in white.

:)

Attachments

• ViperHelmet-mockup-complete-32cm.zip
    89.4 KB · Views: 48

Joseph Vogt

i like the mock up just wish i could open the file my computer is not opening PDO files. also i found on colonialfleets website a Doug Morency did a 17 page paper form of a viper helmet.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You need a pdo viewer:

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/download/viewer.html

Unfortunately it only works on Windows machines. If you have a Mac you may try installing a virtual machine emulating a Windows environment (please don't ask me how to do that, I have no idea, but there should be plenty of tutorials in the web ;) ).

I know the kit Doug posted on colonialfleets. It is not his kit but a "jpgged" version of a kit by our long-time member ekuth. The kit is very simple. The original thread is here:

http://www.zealot.com/threads/colonial-warrior-viper-helm-design-thread.154600/

Build thread:

http://www.zealot.com/threads/colonial-warrior-viper-helmet-build.154722/

As far as I know this was the first attempt at making a Colonial Warrior's helmet from paper.

To everyone: PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO BOTH THREADS because they are DEAD. PERIOD. :explode:;)

There is another helmet available at therpf:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=205636

It is a really funny coincidence because that model was designed independently from ekuth's and mine and I am sure the designer did not know either of our creations. ;)

That helmet is more sophisticated than ekuth's. However there are some areas which do not look quite right and the pattern has to be down-scaled a bit (the ideal factor was about 90% if I remember correctly). The built helmet looks fairly good though (see bottom of the page). :cool:

The creator of that helmet has also made a Cylon helmet which looks absolutely awesome. Hats off! :cool::cool::cool:

My helmet is mainly based on the straight-on views from the efx replica helmet so it should be pretty accurate. The crests are based on close-ups from the original helmets and the various replicas you can find, some are my creations only. However, the only thing I am still a bit confused about is the size. 32 cm is a guess which fits well on my head, but as I said, the final result can be re-scaled to fit the builder's head. In addition it can be built with or without lights and the crests can be switched. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Are you introducing a helmet, just trying to figure out what's going on. I cannot see any reason why you would not feel it is fine to go ahead if you wished. Hat's off to you. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh no. I had nothing to do with the other helmets, I did not design them and I did not build them. I just wanted to say that ekuth was the designer of one of the other helmet (not Doug) and that there is another helmet designed by someone else available at therpf which has some flaws. chevy

And since we do not necropost, we should not add a comment to the old threads I linked to. I added the links only for illustration. :)

Work on my helmet continues as soon as I have done some research at my local hobby shop. I'll keep you posted here! ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have put the three main crests onto the helmet to determine the size and location of the anchor.

ViperHelmet10.jpg

ViperHelmet11.jpg

A view from the inside shows the anchor. It seems that the heron crest requires a few more magnets in the front to hold it in place. It will show when the first prototype has been assembled. :)

ViperHelmet12.jpg