Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hello again! :)

It seems that I am a SketchUp addict these days (clearing throat)! :p

Oh well, this is another project that was started a few months ago. I was not quite sure if I would succeed in replicating the correct shape(s) in SketchUp but today I somehow got to make the main piece. It still has to be adapted on-the-fly during the first test-build but the result is so promising that I have decided to start this thread now. OK, I also wanted to finally use that cool and fancy title here on the forum ;) .

This thread will deal with twelve (or more, who knows? ;) ) separate (rather small) models which will all rest on one and the same display stand. UNFORTUNATELY that stand will be much bigger than the models themselves, and it is only able to display one model at a time (it is planned to add a notch to which the models will be mounted; I hope it works). However, since you need the stand only once the space the final model(s) will occupy later will be reasonable - unless you decide to build the stand for each model, of course ;) .

I don't want to tell you too much in this introductory post but I think you are gonna like what I have been cooking so far :D .

Modeling of the first model is almost complete, work on the second one has started. Pictures will follow as soon as that second model is "presentable". Model #1 will be classified till someone (except Rhaven Blaack ;) !) has guessed what this thread is all about. :cool:

And now: Happy guessing! :)

Last edited:

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
BSG + Revell-Fan + twelve: Something to do with the twelve colonies of cobol?

On the other hand it looks like something out of the Star Gate Universe.

Whatever it is - I am looking for next pics - looks interesting.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
NAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fight: :explode: :Computer: :Nonoooo: :hide: :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Alright - you got it! ;)

eagle.jpg

And this is MODEL #1: The eagle. 16 x 13 cm / 6 x 5.5 "...

... on its "display stand":

ViperHelmet1.jpg

:)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Please don't get me wrong, the mockup will be part of the final kit. It is a simplified version (without the light bars and fewer parts) which has to be made first to check out the size. It won't come with any reinforcement pieces and could be cobbled together with tape if you wish ;) . IF it fits you may proceed with the "real" detailed one, if it doesn't you may find out the scaling factor. That way you may determine the proper size without having to build a complete detailed helmet.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Not yet - unless you are enlarging the helmets of RB's Tirick's figure repaints. This big one was the master for the small ones.

DSCF5566.JPG

Yes, I have this CG model for almost a year now. The reason why I didn't show it before was the eagle crest. It bends in two directions simultaneously which made it extremely difficult to make. The whole project depended on its accuracy because it is the part which is immediately recognizable. The whole look stands and falls with that crest because it is so prominent.

The mockup helmet will be part of the finished kit because I have to test and maybe resize everything to make it fit on an "average" head. If I would release that file on its own it is possible that you would confuse it with the final one unless you painstakingly note the origin and purpose of that file. Believe me, it happened to me with all those different versions of the big Saturn V kits. I had thrown them all together into one and the same folder without making a note telling which parts belonged together. What made it even more difficult was the fact that some of the files which belonged to the same kit were in the wrong scale and I forgot the place where I downloaded the files from (for the record: it was jleslie's site, as I had found out again much later). That's why I am so glad that legal01 has recombined the single parts, corrected and enhanced them and produced a great kit that fits.

I have some pics with rulers beside a helmet but they are hard to use because one of them shows a fan-made prop the proportions of which are wrong and the other one is perspectively distorted which makes the ruler info useless in certain areas. I'm using the dimensions of the efx helmet which was based on a laser scan of one of the hero helmets used in the series. However, I have no idea how accurate the stated dimensions are. The helmet might be correctly sized but who knows if the one taking the dimensions had made a mistake (we are all human). That's why I will follow the original concept of different sizes which was abandoned due to budgetal and time restraints.

Last edited: