90 Years Of Railfanning Ore Hil

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Now...That my challenge is complete, I can start using it for pic background.
I'm quite pleased the way it came out and should compliment the layout....When I find a spot for it
Until.......then.......Here's some pics I did 90 years of Railfanning Ore Hill Depot"

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd

Barnum Richards Mining Co., standard gauge three truck Shay is parked at the station, waiting for the morning Central New England train to bring back empty ore cars from the Beckly Furnace in Cannan Ct. By the looks of the milk cans on the dock, iron ore isn't the only thing shipped from here.

Attachments

• Orehill80yrs1 Small Web view.jpg
    Orehill80yrs1 Small Web view.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 82

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd

The depot roof can be seen over the top of CNE's milk train. In a couple of years, the New Haven will take over the Central New England Railway.

Attachments

• Orehill80yrs2.jpg
    Orehill80yrs2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 82

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd

New Haven GP-9 has just dropped of a load of lumber for the Barnum Richards mine. The crewman on the rear porch looks back, maybe cause he knows that in ten years, the New Haven will not exsist, being merged into the Penn Central.

Attachments

• Orehill80yrs3.jpg
    Orehill80yrs3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 82

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd

The "New" Central New England railroad, only four years in exsistence, local run, headed by GP-35 #77, has only to pass Ore Hill. Its been thirteen years since the mine closed down, which also abandoned the depot.

Attachments

• Orehill80yrs4.jpg
    Orehill80yrs4.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 81

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd

Leading...or trailing?
CDOT's cab car #1693 heads the Litchfield Hills commuter train in push/pull service to Hartford, speeds past the renovated Ore Hill station. P32AC #31 brings up the markers.

Attachments

• Orehill80yrs5.jpg
    Orehill80yrs5.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Orehill80yrs6.jpg
    Orehill80yrs6.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 81

UP SD40-2

ED, i think you have done an AWESOME job on your station:thumb:. i REALLY liked ALL your pics too;), going from old to new and adding some history was a REALLY NICE TOUCH!!!:thumb: :D THANK YOU!, -Deano

cnw1961

Hey 88, how old were you when you took the first pic or did your grandpa pass the photo on to you? :) Very nice idea.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Thanks guys.
Deano: Most of the history of Ore Hill is true. But the mine was actually closed in 1923, as was Beckly Furnace. The real Central New England rails were ripped up in 1938, so the 1959 and beyond time frame is fictitious(Except the merger). But in my world...the rails are still there.
Kurt: I wasn't even a gleam in my granfathers eyes.......