9 killed in LA commuter train crash

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]Want to wager on that?

"The SUV driver changed his mind about suicide and left the vehicle before it was hit, Police Chief Randy Adams said. The man will be charged with homicide, he said."

from a www.myway.com ap story at 1:36 this afternoon in reference to that "crash"
[/font]

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
LIRR said:
That SUV had to be a tank to take out the train too.
I think piece of solid metal getting between wheels of train and track can result in a train going over on its side or likewise the SUV getting jammed between the moving train and another non moving large object or the trains brakes being applied and etc .... etc ....

More information will be forthcoming and then maybe we'll know.

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
theBear said:
I think piece of solid metal getting between wheels of train and track can result in a train going over on its side or likewise the SUV getting jammed between the moving train and another non moving large object or the trains brakes being applied and etc .... etc ....

More information will be forthcoming and then maybe we'll know.
Turned out the metrolink was running cab car forward. F59's could handle a jeep but it sent those cars flying.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The Jeep was demolished, but the train was derailed by the engine block. That is a pretty substantial piece of metal, and it doesn't crush worth beans. The latest numbers are 11 dead, I think 180 injured. I was reading about it in the L.A. Times today. Witnesses said one Metrolink car was flipping end over end!