Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Competitions & Challenges' started by eightyeightfan1, Jul 1, 2006.
one fine looking building 88 have you ever used silkspan for tarpaper roof ?
Never heard of the stuff Jim. Where do you get it?
Ok...Here's what I did today.
Started scenicing the base. First thing I did was paint the base with Woodland Sceneics Undercoat. This is a paint like stuff that you can use to paint plaster. You can also mix it with the plaster, turning the plaster from white to green. In case you drop something and chip the plaster, you won't get a white spot on your scenery.
Next, Using WS fine brown Gorund foam, I made dirt walks, and sceneiced under the docks. I use the "splat and pat" method of appling ground foam.
Using a cheap foam paint brush, I "splat" Elmers glue down, spread the ground foam, then "pat" the ground foam into the glue. I blow the excess off when finished. After finishing the walks and underneath the docks, I applied Woodland Sceneics fine and course green ground foam I mixed myself.
Heres the "blindside" of the depot with the basic scenery done.
Next: Ballasting the track and fine tuning the scenery.
88 its the paper that flying model airplane guys to cover there frame with it's a thin paper that shrinks with the paint as it drys I'd post a pic of one i did if i could get it figured out :curse: how to get files small enough to post on the gauge with this new puter camara combo.:cry:
This scratch building challenge was a very good idea. Without it, we never might have seen your depot. What a loss!!
First of all...what a great job you've done! It looks awesome! Being a newbie, I never really knew what went into scratch building a structure. After seeing your process, I've learned a great deal and look forward to "trying" one myself...Thank You!
Glad I could help Steve. Basically, thats why I did a step by step. To help the new guys out. Like I said in the beganning though, I'm sure there are folks here with other methods of scratchbuilding with plastic, probably better than mine.
Anyway, this is what I did after work today. Unfortunatly, in my hurriedness..I forgot the camera, so these are the finished pics.
This first one shows the ballasting of the track. The near one is the mainline, so I ballasted it as if it was maintained ok. The one closest to the depot is the siding, this one I made to look less maintained, by lightly ballasting and appling WS ground foam to the top. Ballasting was accompished by the tried and true method of 50/50 mix of Elmers and water with a couple drops of dish detergent added.Before appling the glue I sprayed the ballast til it was soaked, with 70% alcohol.
Here's two more pics with some of the scenery done.
Next: Keep going on scenery, paint and add details to the depot.
88 that looks (for the lack of a better word )Fabulous My enter in this challange(if :curse: Walthers every gets my supplys here) will be my first all plactic scratchbuild hope it turns out half as good as yours.:thumb:
Looking Good Ed.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Ok...This weekend I did more on Ore Hill.
First, Looking at the pics from 1928, there looked like a stone "porch" out front. I first cut some N scale "stonework" shaped plastic. Then I sprayed it primer gray, and lightly sprayed flat black over that. Glued it in place, and sceniced up to it.
While that was drying, I did the tarpaper roof. First I spray painted masking tape flat black. When that dried, I applied the tape to the roof, in as close to three foot scale width as possible. I then painted the seams with engine black. Little scraps of tape made good patches.
And The Finishing Touches!!!
I spray painted a piece of plastic flat black and "Diced and spliced" the depots name. Glued Evergreen strips around the border, cut around the border. Then glued the sign under the eave.
After that I added glass to the windows, glued the depot to the base, and declared this project DONE
Next....I can start my kitbashing challenge...just need something to kitbash........
That’s a very very nice structure. Would be a pity if you couldn’t find a free spot for it on your layout. It really deserves it.
One method that I haven't had the courage to try is cutting the side into sections, say, vertical strips lined up on the edges of the window openings, then horizontal cuts on the tops and bottoms of the widow openings (scribe, then snap) then glue the side back together.
I don't have the confidence that I could glue it together again without seams.
David, I had the same lack of confidence. I cut all the parts you descibe and glue them together as a sub wall, then laminate the siding to that. Then you can flip it over and scribe the siding from behind. This way I got perfectly placed window openings, and did not have to concern myself with the seams.