88's Scratchbuild Challenge

Discussion in 'Competitions & Challenges' started by eightyeightfan1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Next...I covered the foam base with Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth. This will give the Sculpta-Mold something to hold on to(Try spreading Sculpta-Mold on bare insulation). After covering the whole base, I set it aside to dry.
    Next: Foundation for the depot, and the messy job of appling Sculpta-Mold.

Attached Files:

2. caliban

caliban Member

Hi 88fan1,

great piece of work!!! I saw your post in cnw's challenge thread, so I took a picture for you yesterday, while enroute to Stuttgart. Hope you like it!

Tobias

Attached Files:

3. eightyeightfan1

Wow...They still have a sign up?
    We always said that if the Soviets ever invaded, They could find our base by following the road signs...or stop and ask for directions.
  4. caliban

caliban Member

Yep, not only this one. I guess Big Red One still has it's home base in the W├╝rzburg area. I'd been in Kosovo (KFOR) with 1/26In, 1.ID, in 2002 for one month as an exchange officer.

Tobias
  5. eightyeightfan1

Today, I did the foundation, trim and roof supports and primed the depot.
    First, I measure a piece of .060" styrene, keeping the edge as close to the loading docks as possible. After cutting the plastic, I checked everything.

Attached Files:

6. eightyeightfan1

Next, I took measurements from the siding track for placement on the base. I checked clearences with both a steam loco as well as a diesel. I only did this, because eventually, it will be used on my layout(Yep...decided).

Attached Files:

7. eightyeightfan1

Happy with the clearences, using Elmer's Carpenter's Glue, I glued the foundation to the base. Weighing it down helps keep it down flat. Here I used two magnets I had.

Attached Files:

8. eightyeightfan1

While I set that aside to dry, I went back to the depot itself. Using Evergreen .015" x .040" styrene strips, I applied the trim boards. I cut them longer than the walls, so I could trim them to size later. I also worked on the roof supports, using .060" x .060" Evergreen strip.
    Here also is a pic of the trimmed, trim boards and the completed roof suports. I'm not worried about that boo-boo cut on the wall. It will be covered with trim board when I make the roof.

Attached Files:

9. eightyeightfan1

After the glue had set, I shot the entire building with two coats of primer, letting the first coat dry before appling the second. I always prime my models I'm doing, especially when doing white, because this will cover pencil marks, and any other flaw that happened during construction.
    Next: Coats of white paint and maybe this time Sculpta-Mold....Maybe.

Attached Files:

10. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Hey, this isn't fair, do you have a permit to build that? Is it up to code?:rolleyes:

Oppps, sorry, it's looking so good I thought it was full-scale :oops::oops:

Great progress shots...:thumb::thumb:
  11. eightyeightfan1

I didn't do anything on Ore Hill this weekend.
    Thought I'd give the rest of you a chance to catch up.
  12. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Looks Great Ed.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  13. eightyeightfan1

Ok....Got down and messy today......
    Layed down Sculpta-Mold down on the base. I mixed mine a little thinner than the instructions 2 to 1 ratio(2 "Helpings" of S-M to 1 water). Using a piece of scrap .040 think plastic, I spread the S-M.
    Next, using my hand, by dipping it in water, I smoothed out the clumps, and shaped the track bed and drainage ditch.
    Heres a pic of the finished Scupta-Mold base...with a check for the rails. Letting S-M air dry, usually takes a couple of days. Using a hair dryer speeds this process up.

Attached Files:

14. eightyeightfan1

While the hair dryer did its job,hardening Sculpta-Mold, not drying hair, I went back to work on the station.
    I worked on the SA roof first. Cutting two roof pieces from Rix Products tile roof plastic, by taking dimensions from the model, plus one scale foot for an overhang.
    Checking the fit, I sanded a bevel on one edge of both roof panels.checking the fit of both panels together.

Attached Files:

15. eightyeightfan1

Saaaaaweeeet!

Attached Files:

16. eightyeightfan1

Next, I sprayed both panels flat black.
    While the SA roof was drying, I went to work on the freight house part. Using the same method as the SA's office, and a .040 piece of Evergreen sheet plastic, I fabricated the roof for the depot. As with the prototype, this will be a rolled tar paper roof, which I plan on using the spray painted, masking tape method.
    After the SA's roof paint dried, I attactched it to the model.

Attached Files:

17. eightyeightfan1

Next, using the same method as the wall trim, I applied the roof trim using Evergreen's HO scale 2x10 strip styrene.
    Here's a pic with the completed roof trim. and a shot of the "blindside of the depot"

Attached Files:

18. eightyeightfan1

I'm so pumped about this project, I had to see what the depot looked like with a boxcar spotted next to it.
    Next...Starting scenery on the base, painting the trim on the depot.

Attached Files:

19. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

That my friend is looking great.:thumb: 'tis gunna be a real challenge to keep up with you. :wave: :wave:
  20. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Looking great 88!