80-Ton Switcher takes out Highway Bridge

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
dang CNWman ya beat me to it,i was going to write this same post this morning.but isnt that amazing though! i wonder if the switcher was headed for scrap of to a museum of some sort,although its pretty much a lost cause now....--josh

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's what an undamaged 80 Tonner looks like. STELCO owned several of these and I believe that at least some of them went to a used loco dealer in the U.S. The colour looks pretty similar.
img124.jpg

Wayne

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
dang CNWman ya beat me to it,i was going to write this same post this morning.but isnt that amazing though! i wonder if the switcher was headed for scrap of to a museum of some sort,although its pretty much a lost cause now....--josh

sign1Quick, aren't I?:mrgreen: I don't think the switcher is a lost cause, the cab top seems to be the only loss in the accident, and should be easy to replace considering only half of it was actualy damaged. As for that Stelco loco, it could very well be a sister of the one in this incident. Just wish that the news people would actualy give a little more info on it.

PRRman

Dum-Dum Pop Addict
Kind of ironic that the engine actually wound up supporting the bridge after its trailer knocked out the support beams, huh? Seems like almost a good thing that that little bugger was on the trailer instead of, say, a couple of bulldozers. Once again, the day is saved...BY THE RAILROADING INDUSTRY (da da-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!)steamtrain

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Huh. While I saw it was an 80 tonner in the text...I thought it was a 44 toner from the picture...but it sure looks like Dr. Wayne's picture.

Initially, I was in a hurry to see if the locomotive was Thomas the Tank Engine on his way to Lebanon...since he's visiting at some point this year.