764 helpful hits for model railroaders book

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I was just going through some of my dad's old magazines and found this book. It is 764 helpful hints for model railroaders. I have been reading up on it and it gives some good hints on what to with a problem. I have found it to be a helpful guide to model railroading. Some of the helpful hints are, rolling stock, freight cars, passenger cars, motive power, trolley, layouts-general, track, scenery, and some other things. Here is an example that i found very interesting: Wax Water, for a creek or waterfall effect complete with realistic bubbles around rocks or stumps, pour melted paraffin wax over the creek bed. If the creek bed is first painted to look like water, enough of the color will show through the wax to give it a realistic tint. The thickness of the wax will determine the color of the water. I find that pretty interesting. I would have never of thought to do anything like that. I just thought i would let everyone know about this. This book was bought back in the late 70's that that kind of gives you how old it is.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Matt how many ways are there to hit someone :) Is it at least in color? Who was the publisher?

LOL :D belg that would be nice if they had that in there on how many ways there is to hit someone but they don't. No it is in black and white, be nice if it was in color, the publisher was Kalmbach Publishing Co.

The old stuff is great IMHO. Magazine back issues and old books have all you need to know.

That's true jon. I have found a good amount of books about layouts, scenery and track laying that are very helpful and they were from back in the mid to late 80's.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Matt, I have that book. Funny that you mentioned the 'wax-water' hint in your post.

Back in the '70s I tried this method on a small diorama, but it turned out to be a flop. Perhaps I made something wrong or had a wrong sort of wax. The 'water' had a milky appearance, and the color below hardly shone through, although the wax sheet was as thin as 1/16" (1.6 mm). I put it to the side, and after only a few weeks the somewhat sticky surface had gathered a fine cover of dust which looked disgusting. :(

Of course, thirty years ago there simply weren't all those fine materials available which are around today. So modeling water was really tough then. I remember making experiments, dribbling clear varnish down over cellophane strips for modeling a waterfall. This wasn't even that bad, but after a year the whole thing had turned yellowish and looked simply terrible - like a sort of a honey-waterfall. :D :D :D

On the other hand, in this book you might find a few tricks which still can be used today.

Ron

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Ron, i am still in the middle of reading the book and i just can't believe some of the things in there. I just got done with one section of it and it said in there about how to clean the driving wheels of a steam locomotive with out taking it apart. I might have to try that one and see if it works.

Back in the '70s I tried this method on a small diorama, but it turned out to be a flop. Perhaps I made something wrong or had a wrong sort of wax. The 'water' had a milky appearance, and the color below hardly shone through, although the wax sheet was as thin as 1/16" (1.6 mm). I put it to the side, and after only a few weeks the somewhat sticky surface had gathered a fine cover of dust which looked disgusting.

I thought it was pretty neat but i am going to try another way to make water when i start my layout. So i kind of take it that the wax idea is not good if it is going to gather dust and make it look disgusting.