75 years 1934 sees the Citroën Traction Avant since it made its mark on motor history

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by doctormax, Feb 7, 2009.

1. doctormax

doctormax Member

PHP:
    HTML:

It is time that we designed a very good model of this car in paper. I have no idea if Citroën had a paper model done in the promotions or anything or if any paper modelers have done one over the last 75 years I have looked and none seem to be out there at all certainly not able to find any on google or yahoo or any search engine this car at least deserves to be done by the best of designers out there. I may not be that person It is what i will try to do and hope to have finished really fast. i got the specs. got some views not to scale. i even looked at a site that had 1:30 plans of cars by different makers to help with this and you know what it is not there. after downloading over 160 yes they had 160 Citroën car models and not one of the beloved traction avant 11. really this is my one target I have to do something, I did help a guy restore one years ago for a rally. the helicopter i was designing was a mess. be honest it went so bad i just didn't bother putting up what was going on in the progess more gaps than an Irish government transport plan. sign1

started with the chassis and have concentrated on the gearbox support. have lots of photos of the gearbox support and of the gearbox and engine. along with detailed chassis diagram. hardest part was finding a plan of the car. lots of side views and front and back

Attached Files:

2. doctormax

doctormax Member

day three of the design and i have done the chassis. next i will do the wheels and the engine and gearbox. going very well and the research has thrown up some good detailed items. I even managed to get photos of a restoration that i was doing years ago and i am using them on this project. when i have finished the chassis and wheels i will start on the coachwork and other details the good thing with starting with the chassis engine and gearbox and wheels i may just do two version have a good few pictures of a convertible as well as the saloon.

Attached Files:

3. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

...and here I sit with too many projects on my plate. I'm drooling to tackle this one myself...

I saw one of these about 8-10 years ago in a town not far from my own. These cars saw a lot of taxi duty in France, didn't they?
  4. doctormax

doctormax Member

Yes and in fact in a few movies. even a bond movie. best fun i have had was driving one up and around some country lanes years ago after doing the restoration. checking how she handled. I will say this she handled the country lanes better than my renault 21 that i had at the time.
  5. doctormax

doctormax Member

rather happy with how things or going with this, have a lot done so far in a few days. no time limit on this and i am having a bit of trouble with the engine and gearbox work but will figure out that soon enough and then start to print out and put together the chassis and engine.

Attached Files:

6. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

What scale will it be? It looks like it will have opening doors.
  7. doctormax

doctormax Member

1:24 do i am thinking of asking Nobi or Nothing if i increase the size of the image size to a different size what size would make it 1:18. I think any bigger would make it impossible to fit the parts on a A4 paper.
  8. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

oh cool. Do you think this will reduce to 1:00 scale? I want to blow one up for my Call of Duty diorama. :)
  9. doctormax

doctormax Member

I didn't think of that when i seen you on about your call of duty diorama. but good idea. You can do that if you want to. i do know that it be only 43mm long the car
  10. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Any headway on this? Looking forward to seeing more.
  11. doctormax

doctormax Member

been working on it little by little. may in fact do a print out of what i have figured out and do a little test build. see if it is looking alright. take a few pics with the camera and will post them. one thing is i have no real clue how to do the folding flabs for joining to make them look neat on the computer so was thinking print it out then hand draw the flaps and cut out then see does it work. if it does before i cut them scan them into the computer. it may work out better that way.
  12. doctormax

doctormax Member

PROGRESS IS SO SLOW WHEN YOUR THINKING OF THINGS OTHER THAN MODEL MAKING. BUT ONE MAJOR QUESTION HAS ANYONE DONE A BUILD REPORT ON THE MODELIK FA1-M NOTICED IT HAS A SIMILAR MUDGUARD AND FIGURE IF I HAD SOME IDEA HOW THEY GOT THE MUDGUARD ON THAT IT WOULD PROVE TO BE INTERESTING FOR THE DESIGN WORK HERE. JUST ENLARGED FIREFOX AND I GET THE IDEA THAT TO GET THE CURVES THEY HAVE CUTS INTO THE MUDGUARD. BUT BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF THAT IS THE WAY IT IS DONE. LESSON HERE IS TO ENLARGE PICTURES TO GET THE IDEA REALLY SAVES ASKING AND LOOKING SILLY :mrgreen:[​IMG]
  13. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Looks like you're right about the cuts in the mudguard to get the compound curve. They look like simple slit cuts, each one glued overlapping the previous one. Best thing to do is take some scrap paper and try it. Most of what I've learned is from experimenting. Good luck.
  14. doctormaxart

doctormaxart New Member

Ok different user name due to not been able to get into my old email. wonder is that Russian scam artist still sending me pictures and wanting to marry me. ;) But off trying to be funny and can say I found what I wanted for ages. So back on the designing of the car ok a year late but lots of problems and it had to wait and I am really going to go for it now. I found a better blueprint or it could be if I buy the A3 picture but I am wary of paying for something that does not look so good at the small size in the thumbinal and is it worth the four pounds? I don't think so to be honest and can find out the measurements easily enough from other places so the picture i downloaded should do

Attached Files: