726 rr, Lionel problems

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by cdawgs65, Feb 3, 2007.

1. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

Hello, I'm new here, I just recieved two 726rr Berks " Lionel". The problem that I'm going to throw out in the ring is that reverse is great but forward, both of them start to go then jerk or freeze up then jerk then go! The track is clean and theres plenty of power getting to them. Oh yeah did I mention the sparks from underneath the engine, I guess it's coming from the contacks where they hit the center rail. This has nothing to do with the Berks, I'm building a 3 rail layout, Boston and Maine, with some other New England railroads thrown into the mix. It will be along the wall, an alongated dogbone, thanks
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Are these new locos or 60 year old ones?
    Do they eventually run forward?
    How do they work if you hold them upside down and put power to them, do they do the same? (Old locos may have reverse unit problems with this).
    How do the pickup rollers look? The front ones aren't flopping loose are they?
  3. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

Hello, Yes they do run forward, but like I said will stop and then jerk forward. And they are around 60. The pickup rollers are not floppy loose but I would say dry looking and worn. And I have not tried to power it upside down, but will try. I don't understand the sparking tho, I'm running them on Lionel fast track, I do have Atlas 3rail that I'm using on my layout I don't know If that would make a differance?
  4. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

Sparking!

Here's another concern of mine it's about the sparking it happens on another vintage Alco and another steamer that I have run today, any ideas?
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The sparking can be two things. It's usually bad contact -- the rollers or someplace in the power chain may be making bad contact; usually dirt or rust.
    The worse problem is something shorting. Do you get sparks in both directions?
    Type of track should not make a difference. Except that the original track was round topped and the new track is flat. When I dug out my old Lionel, I found that the dirt on the wheels matched the round rails. There could be roundish grooves worn in the pickup surffaces.
  6. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

That sounds about right the rollers are rounded alittle. But I don't think I was getting sparks in reverse, I could be wrong. I guess then the rollers or contacks should be changed. One other thing, I picked up some old Hornby trains, some are clockwork some are not, one of them has some of it's wheels broken, know of any replacemant parts/dealers? These will be just for display and collecting. Thanks
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

cdawg: Hornby O gauge? last made in the early 1950s. My first electric train was Hornby, and must have been one of their last electrics.
    Lots of problems with Hornby wheels. They were made of zamoc or mazac and this stuff was very sensitive to slight impurities in the mixture and to even slightly wrong proportions. The wheels are frequently found disintegrated.
    I don't have a source, but look up the British Railway Modellers of North America web site. One of their lists will connect you to a Hornby collectors association (just make sure it's not the current Hornby.)
    The other problem with Hornby is rust starting under the finish. Known to collctors as "Binns Road Rust".
  8. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Try this post in "O" gauge and you may get more advice.