700 x 80 WWI - 1:33 - Spoked Wheel Project

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Jan 19, 2007.

1. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Bout the stars.I did that on accident, I had never rated a thread before. I meant to put 5 but accidentally put one. I'm very sorry for this whole thing, perhaps Rick could change it?

BTW I had already put this thread in my favorites, I didn't mean 1 star the slightest bit.
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

On Continuing...,

Hi All,

Thank you all for your support.

When it comes to whether I contribute or not is not a democratic decision, it is mine alone. The internet is a custom made paradise for misanthropes and, unfortunately, they frequent this site too.

With some misgivings I've decided to continue the development thread through to its conclusion for those who've invested their time in understanding what's being presented. I'll repeat that this is a development thread, that the outcome is at best "iffy" and that if successful will end in a build tutorial.

-Gil
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Gil,
    True, it is your thread and is always your choice whether to continue or not.
    I, for one, am glad you have decided to continue.

This is one of the most interesting threads I have seen in a while and I really enjoy watching you work through the problems and witnessing your inspiring solutions. I like your logical approach to problem solving and your rigs are ingenious and user friendly. Each rig is a work of art in itself.

Thank you for sharing and letting us watch your creation process first hand.

Russell
  4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Sorry about this whole thing, glad you chose to continue. :)
  5. Nalla

Nalla New Member

Gil, please dont stop, this is an excellent thread and as you can see from the reaction, there are many fellow modelers who would love to see this completed.
    Keep at it M8. Please.
  6. silverw

silverw Member

Morning Gil...

I think I know what you are feeling... and, I think it was YOU that encouraged ME to continure, a couple years ago! ( the caterpillar thing) (How time flies. :))

This is a fantastic thread that you are doing here... I love your jigs and methods ( Are you an engineer, BTW?)

I just wish I had more time to spend on this hobby. Don't you DARE quit!! I know where you live! (Northern Bear Flag Republic) LOL

I'll hunt you down and seek you out and ask unending questions!

Seriously Gill, I didn't even see the stars until somebody mentioned them, but, I was sitting here all bug-eyed every night! Course I immediately went and plugged in a 5, like I'm sure all the "in favour people" did!

Anyway Gil, I Really, Greatly appreciate all the hard work that you put in to this hobby. Not only the current wheel project, but the "propeller" and the "seamless, burnished engine couling" not to mention the "engine" itself! etc. (I just copped out with that "etc.", because I can't possibly remember all the stuff you have contributed here!)

I don't very often comment, but you can be sure that I am there , appreciating you fine work!

Thankyou, Gil.

... Bill
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Update

Hello All,

I've been messing with the rims over the last day or so. I tried a frustrum design and found that it has its own special set of issues (see below). A single layer of cardstock set against the spokes will pucker around them leading to an unsightly wave in the surface. It looks alright at a distance but doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. I've returned to examining another method that involves simplification of the vellum winding method. This brings up an interesting insight into the strength of different papers when wet. I have tried a wide variety of paper types wet and the only one that remains decently strong (in tension) is vellum. One other small item before I end, those clamps in the picture are doll house clothes pins that have been reversed to serve the need. They fufill two important categories; cheap and available...,

Till Next...,

-Gil

[​IMG]
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Vellum

Hi Carl,

Yes.

Vellum, as in tracing paper. Canson is one of the well known specialty paper companies in the business. I am using Helix brand, 25% cotton rag.

Regarding "frustrum", I played it safe and looked it up in French & Vierck.

-Gil

P.S. You'll need some for the next project also...,

[​IMG]
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Update on Rim Progress

Hello All,

Decided to return to cutting out rings of 1 mm cardboard to see how they would look as rims. To ease the task I cut them oversize, then removed a small segment to insure a snug fit inside the tire (see below). The previous wheel was reused by removing both rims to save building a new one. Surprisingly enough they look better than I first thought they would and are within most modelers capabilities to generate.

The next iteration, will most likely, be near the last in the development process. It will center on making identical rims hardened with CA and sanded to a smooth finish.

Till Next...,

-Gil

[​IMG]
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wow,Gil! If I didn't see your fingers there, I might think it is a picture of a full sized wheel! I have been following this with fascination. At first, I didn't think this would be for me, but having followed along all this time, I am thinking it may be a process that I will try out! Thanks for the thread and the inspiration!
    Chris
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Development Phase Completed

Hi All,

The development phase is now complete. The rims, whose development was described previously, were made and applied to the test wheel. The results are satisfactory. Clamping forces were a little overdone and an indentation was made on the rim (oh well). The wheel still shows the ravages of being the test subject.

All MDF use has been designed out in favor of plain cardboard simplifying and lowering the cost of the materials list.

The tutorial will now begin as a separate thread.

-Gil

[​IMG]
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Beautiful work, Gil! Stunningly realistic!

Russell
  13. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Wow, that really kicks plastic. Good work. :D
  14. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

15. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Last Item

Hello All,

Thanks Leif for the liaison work. It's great to see the European sector pickup on this thread.

One last change was made to the design. Instead of making the tire in two halves I decided to make the inner tire in two halves which are then bonded to the spokes. This is then sanded and made more precise before the the rest of the tire is wound onto it. It's dry wrapped to allow for centering it up before it is set with CA. There is one more change in the design that has to do with the shape of the pieces that are used to wrap the inner tire and won't be noticeable when assembled.

I'm currently working on getting the tutorial together. Requires refreshing all the fixture/part designs and putting them all in order.

Till then...,

-Gil

[​IMG]
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tutorial Progress

Hello All,

Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten the tutorial. The illustration below gives a good idea of the lacing fixture assembly seqence. Still have a few more illustrations to go before the tutorial build begins.

-Gil

[​IMG]
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Totally amazing work! I cant even imagine how much time you put into that drawing to illustrate the technique. Thanks so much for your time and efforts!
    Chris
  19. Maharg

Maharg Member

Many thanks Gil, I can't wait to see the tut. :)
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Lacing Schematic

Still plodding along on getting the tutorial completed. The following is a schematic for lacing the spokes. Without further explanation I'd like to hear feedback on whether this is completely clear or needs further annotation.

-Gil

[​IMG]