6 axle athearn sd-40-2 keeps on derailing

Triplex

SD7/9/18/24/35s are all the same length. They're no larger than 4-axle U-boats, and should have no problem on 18".

alexander

Triplex said:
SD7/9/18/24/35s are all the same length. They're no larger than 4-axle U-boats, and should have no problem on 18".

Not always.

They may be short compared to say a SD40-2, etc, but there still longer than 4 axle units, and its those extra 2 axles that make the difference

alexander

green_elite_cab said:
Have you checked your trackwork? maybe thats the problem. I have U34CH (more ore leass a U36C) that will run on the 18"curves fine.

no, it just disagreed with the cars behind it, and the trackwork wasnt* good

*i say wasnt because i'm currently in the process of building a new layout

matt fisher

same problems

hi everyone

i to just bought a athern gp40-2 blue box and the front truck makes a noise that's sounds like running one truck is off the track ,but it was on track and when i run it back wards it runs quite , but when i run forward it makes that nosie again i just what throw it at the wall but i have'nt done that yet. i took a look at the gears and lubed them and it still makes that noise , what should i do ? athern is now using plastic worm gears instead of brass , has anyone noticed that ? also athern quite makeing metal handrails i hate plastic handrails dont you. if you athern they will send you the replacement parts just give them a call
matt fisher

alexander

hmmmm, cant help you there, all i can sugguest is checking your trackwork. If worst comes to worst, you could start modelling Southern lol

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
matt fisher said:
hi everyone

i to just bought a athern gp40-2 blue box and the front truck makes a noise that's sounds like running one truck is off the track ,but it was on track and when i run it back wards it runs quite , but when i run forward it makes that nosie again i just what throw it at the wall but i have'nt done that yet. i took a look at the gears and lubed them and it still makes that noise , what should i do ?

Dissassemble the entire truck, if you haven't already (you need to open up the truck tower). check everything, and move them with your fingers and see if you feel any binding. Clean everything off, then re-lube.when you reassemble everything, make sure its all fit together properly. It sounds to me like something isn't sitting right.

athern is now using plastic worm gears instead of brass , has anyone noticed that ?

the plastic absorbs the sound better.

also athern quite makeing metal handrails i hate plastic handrails dont you. if you athern they will send you the replacement parts just give them a call
matt fisher

Why would you wan't to get rrid of the plastic handrails? the athearn Plastic handrails are much better than the metal once in terms of accuracy, and they are more flexible. The metal hand rails rust, get kinked, and can be hard to install. They don't look realistic either. their only advantage is that they are more durable, but with normal handling, plastic handrails should be able to last.

alexander

For one thing, i think that the noise that Athearn locos make is what makes it an Athearn

Another thing, the Metal handrails are OK, not great, but OK, considering how much time i spent on my Atlas SD24 with the handrails

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
alexander said:
For one thing, i think that the noise that Athearn locos make is what makes it an Athearn

Another thing, the Metal handrails are OK, not great, but OK, considering how much time i spent on my Atlas SD24 with the handrails

did you make your own metal handrails? couldn't you just get plastic onces?