50" Star Destroyer build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

You have no idea . . . I've tripped over this thing twice and my dog thinks it's a huge pillow. sign1

I have decided to wait on the rest of the reinforcement boxes until I finish the hangar bay, because I'm tired of big parts and want to work on some minutia(plus . . . I ran out of thick cardboard and I don't want to laminate the pieces that many times. :oops: ) So to begin with I'm starting to construct the paired cylinders on the hangar roof that support the rail system on which the crane moves.

The starting point would be this Q-tip:

[​IMG]

Well, 30 or so Q-tips to be precise. I took an Exacto and cut the cotton off the ends of five of the Q-tips and discarded that (though in hindsight, with the amount of cotton I recovered I think I could knit a new sweater). Then I cut a slit down the lengths of the shafts until I got past the glue that holds them together. After I got to a suitable depth I peeled the excess off and glued up the loose ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I got those done I marked how long the parts are in the photo and cut them all to that length.

[​IMG]

When that was done I glued pairs of them together. Not all the lengths were even because I think I may have added a millimeter or two along the way.

[​IMG]

I'm now in the process of gluing strips of paper on the ends of the pieces:

[​IMG]

I can't wait to get past this and start in on the rail system, because after that I can glue it into the hangar and get to work on the fun part: greebling the hanger bay!
  2. Millenniumfalsehood

I've gotten quite a bit of work done, and it's beginning to look like an actual Star Destroyer hangar. I finished wrapping the ends of the double cylinders, or whatever they are, that are on the roof of the hangar and support the rail system. It took forever, but I'm really pleased with the result. There are a few that are shorter than the rest, but those are going to be hidden by some of the equipment hanging from the rails.

[​IMG]

I also glued the hangar roof to a piece of that thick cardboard and cut a rectangular hole in it where the rail elevator sits.

After I put all those in I glued four of them to the piece I cut out of the roof and glued two rails to it for the elevator.While those were drying I created the hydraulic system that moves the elevator up and down, and when that was finished I glued it to the elevator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After those were done I moved on to the main recovery and cargo decks. I made a box the size I observed in Sculpting a Galaxy and cut two holes in it. Then I made two boxes, one longer than the other, and glued them to the back. After that I put two rails in each, matching them to the elevators on the outside, and set it aside to dry.

[​IMG]

Then I glued the elevator and the cargo bays to the inside of the hangar and glued it into the hull. Since I'm making this the same proportions as the filming miniature's hangar, It's about 3/4 inches too short, so I patched the section that was open with spare cardstock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, I just got through building the railway system on the roof of the hanger. Compare it to the photo of the real thing.

[​IMG]
  3. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Fracking Brilliant, man!
  4. sneaker

sneaker Member

WHOA!!! :thumb:
  5. Romanator

Romanator Member

Wow that is sure starting to look pretty friggin' cool.

I have to say that I did build that 3d Puzz star destroyer. It was fun, but it sagged too badly, and the internal structure was almost useless.
    I then got the Lego one which is 3 ft long (1 foot longer than Puzz's ) and over 3000 pieces, and doesn't sag!

Your build is very good, I look forward to seeing completed and in all its star wars glory.
  6. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Brilliant looking detail! Any plans to add some mini TIE Fighters to the conveyor? I was thinking you could probably use some beads for the cockpit, run the struts through the hole in the bead, then attach wings. Might work at that scale. A small Taintive IV would be an interesting addition too.
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Actually I had a brilliant idea, which is to construct a display table with oak skirting that has a cradle on top to set this down on and on the upper surface of the table will be the fighter, transport, and ground attack vehicle complement of a standard Star Destroyer, all in scale:

48 TIE Fighters
    12 TIE Interceptors
    12 TIE Bombers
    6 TIE Boarding Craft
    12 Landing Craft
    20 AT-AT walkers
    30 AT-ST walkers
    8 Lambda class shuttles
    15 Delta-2a Stormtrooper Transports
    5 Assault Gunboats

I'm pretty sure they carry a few portable garrison bases as well, but I have no idea what they look like so I wouldn't have them on the table.

The table would be topped with a piece of smoke-colored high-gloss Plexiglas and the fighters would be arranged by type, with brass plaques for each group with the type of fighter and group name, if applicable. Below all that would be a brass plaque that has the name, registry, statistics, and crew roster of this particular Star Destroyer(I'll make up all 33,000 or so names, plus throw in some in-jokes for Star Wars fans).

I found some TIE Fighter gaming miniatures that I'll use which are nearly in scale with this model. They're made from Pewter and cost about $3.30 per six-pack. Good thing all the numbers up there are divisible by six. :mrgreen: The fighters I can't buy I'll build(I'll probably scratchbuild them out of paper), as well as the walkers and transports.

All of this will be capable of disassembly for transport to conventions and model shows.

I'm about to finish the hangar bay and move on to the rest of the hull sections. Once those are done the fun task of detailing the side trenches can commence. :twisted:
  8. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

God, you're insane! I love it! The pictures will be a joy to see.
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

You think *this* is insane, you should ask about my 5 foot, 2 inch remote-controlled Battlemech project. :twisted: I think if I do buy those pewter TIEs I'll make some decals to use for the wings so I don't lose my mind painting them.
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

wooooow.... Most Excellent work MF..:thumb::thumb: I can imagine the reaction to someone walking down the street with this model over their head. lol.. I'd follow you.. ~ Darth Piper *Remember to lift with your legs and not your back!!!

Sorry for drifting.. can someone riddle me this.. There's quite a few 3d models of the SD floating about, they seem to fall into two types ( loosely) .. The hulls differ in ratio, so is there a definitive set of plans i.e. hull shape for the SD ?. ( for the one in the first movie) :confused:

Attached Files:

11. Millenniumfalsehood

Short answer, the wider one would be the "ANH" Star Destroyer Devestator and the long and thin would be the "TESB" Star Destroyer Avenger. I'm not sure which category my build falls into, but I'm building it as the Avenger sub-type.
  12. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks MF.. :thumb:
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

That's a relief! MF has based his on my ISD base...and that is meant to be an ESB Avenger type.

As far as models on the net go, there are many...and most are interpretations of various sources. I have tried to work as much as possible from teh studio references and avoid the models out there. I have found so many fundamental errors and confusions in them they were more hindrance than help!
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Just to let everyone know, I haven't abandoned the project, I'm just working on finishing the hull boxes and the hangar bay. There's really not much to look at so far, so I'm holding off taking pictures until after the hull is completed. :thumb:
  15. F131

F131 Member

Looks fantastic!
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks, F131.

I stopped working on this to finish some plastic models, plus I'm back in college so I'm working on schoolwork as well, so this isn't getting the attention it deserves. Maybe I'll get something done during Thanksgiving break. I did skin the top of the hull, and now I need to work on the lower hull.
  17. F131

F131 Member

I know what you mean. I was/am building the plastic fiber optic ISD, and went through too many drill bits that I have given it up for the last year. Like your model, I was creating my owd detail parts. You have done a fantastic job on the landing bay. I wish I would have seen your detailed pictures before I re-tooled mine. Good luck with school.
  18. sokoroto

sokoroto New Member

Finish IT!!

It seems you pretty much work on everything i dreamed as a kid...First the sea duck now...the STAR DESTROYER!!!REally its a amazing model and try eventually to finish it...as well the sea duck...
  19. sokoroto

sokoroto New Member

Are you still there man ? Sorry if i keep asking yet your projects are among the most fantastic ones among all the thousands of various models.(I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the sea duck model...I actually try to buils a large version of it now!!) and i would love to see how the star destroyer would eventiallyturn out...(and some better sea duck textures...i wish...)
    Anyway i hope you are still interested on those projects and at some time when you are free you finish them...
    Keep up the good work!!!
  20. DHL

DHL Member