50" Star Destroyer build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I decided to start a build thread of one of my crazier ideas: take Flarebaffled's 25" Star Destroyer model and build it at 2:1, producing a 50" model! This ship will be built with as much detail as I can cram into her, especially on the side trenches, and will be on display at the local theater in time for the new Clone Wars movie coming out. That means I only have six weeks to build it, but I am a fast builder and I love the Star Destroyer, so I have full confidence in my ability to pull this off. Wish me luck!

Here's what I've got so far. That's a ShunPop ISD in the center to give an indication of scale:

[​IMG]
  2. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

I wish you the best of luck :thumb:

Will this be offered as a download when complete? :mrgreen:
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Considering the original is a PDO file which I just upscaled, I wouldn't feel right putting it up. It didn't take long to maneuver the pieces around the rescale it.

Speaking of scale, it's going to be pretty close to 1:1400 scale, which is a common Star Trek scale.
  4. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

woah!!! wish you luck man...that puppy looks like it could strike fear in the galactic theater:p how about an imperial shuttle(to scale) or a milenium falcon (to scale) or...or...well a stardestroyer that size is more than enough:D wish you luck again:thumb:
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Just wait till I try a studio-scale version. :twisted:

I ignored the instructions for part 1 and instead glue the template to a couple of pieces of 1/4" foam-core, then I glued the other side to some more 1/4" foam-core to strengthen the joints, then I glued a final layer of 1/4" foam-core to the assembly. I'll let it dry tonight, then tomorrow I'll glue some strips to the side and construct the side trenches. Instead of sticking with the texture I'm going to print it out vanilla and spray-paint it all black, then white to give it the look of the classic Star Wars miniatures(that's exactly how the Star Destroyers were painted). The surface will then be scribed with thousands of lines, both with an exacto and with a pencil, just like the original mini.

I would have taken pics, but my brother-in-law borrowed my camera.
  6. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Good luck with this!
    Hopefully, my construction methods under the skin will give you enough scope to make this thing solid....and it sounds like you have got a solid base to work from already. Of course...the other way to make it double size would be to take the A4 sheets and enlarge on a photocopier to A3.

Will be interesting to see how this builds up in only six weeks.... oh...hang on...I haven't finished the rest of it yet ..... bother.
    That means I had better get a shift on toosign1
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Yeah, you better not force me to get out the whip, Flare! sign1 Actually, if you don't get it finished I'll just scratchbuild my own parts. It's easy in paper to scratchbuild stuff.

I got one of the side trenches done last night(I'm not sure which one, because when I rescaled the model in Pep the pieces went everywhere. I'll just check it against the regular 25" version). I'm now working on the other side.
  8. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

looking forward to this.
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

OKay, got the other side trench done, and what's more, I borrowed a camera so I can now show you what I've got done. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

Now if my stupid printer would work I could get part 2 finished, but for some reason it decided to start a machine rebellion on me and wont print a thing. :curse:
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Looking just like I remember it ..only bigger! Now is the time to greeble that trench! I did mine with the bits of spare for the purpose...but you could do all sorts of things with rolled tubes, boxes, and so on. Much more scope to make sticky-out bits at this scale!
  11. Gearz

Gearz Member

wooow.. that's a BIG model. Are you going to make the BR and flight of Tie fighters for the main bay?.lol
    You'll have to breakout the guillotine for all the nobly bitz. schomp...schomp.. schomp..
    schomp
    schomp
    schomp
    schomp
    schomp
    schomp

I recon the SD is one subject that has to be built BIG. I don't think you'll need it MF but good luck!
  12. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

the best of wishes to you, Millenniumfalsehood.

Now, of course you are taking pictures of the model displayed on the theater, right? I bet that will go to the POTW.
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Actually, I'll be modeling the actual miniature, so I'll be making boxes, pyramids, and cylinders, plus battleship turrets, barbettes(sp?), barrels, and warship bridges, as well as aircraft carrier hangar openings and tank bits. :twisted:

Actually I'm going to make Part 2 now that I can print, so that when I lay the model on it's side there will be protection for the boxes and greeblies. BTW, I can't thank you enough for releasing the first module! :thumb:
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Just to let everyone know this project ain't dead yet, I'm just taking pics along the way and I want to get parts 2 and 3 finished before I post pics. :thumb:
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

Well, I'm back on this project, after rotating other projects around and getting some more work done on them. I work in shifts on models, so I don't get too bored with one and drop it completely. Obviously I *didn't* finish this model before Clone Wars hit theaters, so I'm thinking of building up another couple of 4-foot hulls while I'm waiting for the other sections to be finished, sort of a tandem build.

On part 2 I would cut out the small nose piece, glue it together, and glue it to the prow of the model. Then I'd cut out each edge piece in succession, bend it along the score line, and attach the pieces to a long piece of posterboard. When all of them were attached(after I used a large straightedge to align them), I attached the piece to the edge of the hull and let it dry. I repeated that four times. I modified the width because I had originally attached the nose too far inboard, and rather than rip up all the panels and risk deformations, I opted to decrease the depth of the trench. I hope it doesn't affect the ability of the hull parts to fit correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I did those pieces I cut out one of the pieces that rest on top and measured the inside width of one of the pieces.

[​IMG]

When I got that number I used my calipers to cut a strip of chipboard that was just a few thousandths of an inch narrower than the original measurement.

[​IMG]

When that was cut I glued the top pieces onto that strip and trimmed the ends. I'll panel over it after I finish the outer hull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When all that was completed I started on the hull reinforcement boxes. For each section I first glued the front and back ends to a piece of chipboard.

[​IMG]

Then I cut out and pieced together the top sections.

I plan on scoring millions of tiny panel lines into the surfaces of the ship, so I decided to reinforce the inside with currogated cardboard. I first glued the front and back ends of the box to the roof. I then took a measurement in centimeters of the inside width between the two ends and the depth on both ends and cut a piece of chipboard with those dimensions and glued it to the inside of the box.

[​IMG]

While that was drying I took the aforementioned measurement of the inside width and used it to cut out a plane of currogated cardboard and trimmed it to the length of one of the faces.

[​IMG]

I then glued it to the inside of the box.

[​IMG]

I then repeated that a whopping seven times, excepting the flare over the engine bay. The result is a great-looking proto-Star Destroyer.

[​IMG]

I now just need to do the underside skeleton of this monster and then I can get to the easy part: skinning the surfaces. I'm going to scratchbuild some runners in between sections of the hull to add reinforcement to the whole shebang, as well as adding more cardboard. This thing will weigh a ton but it's guaranteed to shock and amaze at Wonderfest, especially with two sister ships alongside it.
  16. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

you know what this project makes me think of? [​IMG]

Did anyone ever build the Puzz-3D SD when they were younger?

Great build so far, keep up the good work.

SEBRET
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

You don't know how much I wanted one of those when I was a kid. I wanted to get one, build it up, and hang it up on my ceiling. I guy I talked to who worked on that project said the artwork was made from photos taken of the eight-foot miniature, retouched in Photoshop, and modified to fit the pieces.

I got to the main hangar and an odd feeling crept into the back of my mind: I knew I'd seen a straight-on photo of the hangar bay exactly that size in one of my books. So I got to looking and I found the photo, from the book Sculpting a Galaxy:

[​IMG]

Check it out, it fits almost exactly inside the hangar cutout!

[​IMG]

This means I can use the book as a guide to scratchbuilding the hangar like the studio model! I really hope the tower closeup they have in that book is the same size as the tower on the model I'm building.
  18. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

very cool, and lucky, lol
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

I'm starting to wonder how good this would look with a semi-primitive lighting system. Probably not fiber optics, but rather I would thread tiny LEDs to recesses in the trenches and in the bumps in the trench, then paint the whole thing black, fill in the cracks, and punch tiny holes in the bumps with a pin. I'd just have to mask off the LEDs before I painted the thing.
  20. Jones Brandon

Jones Brandon Member

Good lord man that big!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!