$50 box lot...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I've heard yeahs and nays regarding Ebay and buying model trains on it. I enjoy it myself, thinking of it as an electronic opportunity to riffle thru someone's attic. It helps---a lot---to know what you want and what you're looking at. Here's some pix of the contents of a box lot I just picked up for just shy of $50---including shipping. I don't want to inspire envy, I just know some of my fellow Gaugers out there can appreciate a good deal when it comes, maybe help newcomers learn what to look for when they go ebaying.

The first loco I beleive is a Life-Like saddletank 0-4-0. A bit of cleaning and oiling and it runs like a watch.

Attachments

• 0-4-0.jpg
    0-4-0.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 43

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The second is a Rivarossi 0-6-0, an unusual one in the it is wired completely within the engine, the tender is just along for the ride. I only had to add the front coupler lift bar that was missing and do some cleaning and lubing and it runs just fine.

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 44

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The next one is a Bachmann 2-6-2 Prairie, with smoke no less. It was missing the handrail on this side. I fashioned a new one, cleaned and lubed it and it too, runs nicely. Haven't tested the smoke yet as I have no fluid but there is no reason to believe that that won't work.

Attachments

• 2-6-2.jpg
    2-6-2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 60

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
This beastie set my heart a fluttering, there wasn't a thing wrong with it. It too, is a Bachmann, a 2-8-2 Mikado and it has a smoke unit as well.

Attachments

• 2-8-2.jpg
    2-8-2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 44

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
...and this shorter standard tender. It no doubt goes with a similar locomotive to the 2-6-2. It is identical in every way but lettered for the Santa Fe.

I enjoyed sharing my newest members of the fleet with you and hope that newcomers can study the pics to see what to look for when they venture onto Ebay.

Attachments

• deal5.jpg
    deal5.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 41

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Good deal.
I have a loco with a similar drive as the first on. For a spur gear drive it does run well.
Mine is marked Lima but could have been marketed under a different name.
I have a Rivarossi 0-6-0 like that and was suprised to find no tender pickups too.
If I'm not mistakin the Rivarossi Vanderbuilt tender is from a 2-10-2 S1.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Ray, if anyone knew where they came from, I figured it'd be you. :thumb: The vandy may stand in on my Big Boy right now as the centipede that came with it is one of the newer models with the blackened hand rails and scale flanges. It jes' don't look rat. The 0-4-0 is indeed marked Lima which I've found is almost always mid 80s Life-Like. I was disappointed to find such poor pickup on the Rivarossi. While the wheel base is long enough to bridge most unpowered switch frogs and so should run well on the club layout, it showed me that even the best of them can have a Monday morning engineering session, too. :rolleyes: :)

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
What a great deal!
That Mikado with Vaderbuilt tender was worth the 50$, the rest are just gravy! The Mike looks like it could be made into a Canadian national engine with the exception of the open cab.
Just a word of caution, running the locos with the smoke units without smoke fluid could cause them to heat up and melt the smoke stack. it happened to me with my Model Power pacific. It now has a slightly deformed stack.
The tenders remind me that I should be looking for them as well. i've got several projects that could use one, like my rotary snowplow, steam crane.....

petey

May 17, 2004
$50 Dollar Box

The "Mikado" is a nice inexpensive model. It has very good detailing. If the smoke generator is good, you will have a convincing volume of smoke.
The engine is actually an accurate model of, I believe, a Reading H-9(?) Consolidation. The shell was done so well, that Bowser put out a motorized chassis for it. Earlier poster was correct concerning the firebox. This box was a big as some Northerns.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks for the information. I knew it was a Wooten firebox but couldn't remember what road it was common to. I think the Reading was the only one to widely use it.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
envy

Bob, in your initial entry you said you did not want to inspire envy. The mere fact alone, that you flaunted, yes, flaunted, all those goodies in our faces is nothing short of sadistic. Maliscious sadism is truly what it is.

Now if you realy want to make up to us I could give you $75 plus shipping, and then sincerely believe I could forgive you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Lynn

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
yellowlynn said:
Bob, in your initial entry you said you did not want to inspire envy. The mere fact alone, that you flaunted, yes, flaunted, all those goodies in our faces is nothing short of sadistic. Maliscious sadism is truly what it is.

Lynn

I didn't...honest...well....maybe a little. Muhahahahahahahaha ;)