4655 a loner

interurban

No info as yet Robin, I have observed it roaming around for a while.

Must be a perment lease to be C P ,ed that way..
Anyone????;)

spitfire

Cool shot Chris!!!!! You are the Kamera King!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I also really like those fueling towers in the background.

Val

Diesel John

CP4655

Hey! Chris,

You've been in my back yard again

"Now I can add a little"..

CP4655 built Jan 1980 by EMD GP40-2
Previous #HATX0511
Weight 268,000 lbs
Lenth 59.2 Feet
40 inch wheels
4 axle
Horse Power 3000
Fuel Tank 2400 gal.

The towers in the back are for sanding, there gravity fed, the sand is brought in by rail then dried in the white building.... then blown up to the towers, the units are then parked under the tower and filled front and back..

Why do we do this? "I know " but let's kick it around, who has the answer.

P.S. Any sand beside your model rails?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
John, if any of us are serious about our model railroads we will have sanding towers. As far as I know, an engineer can allow sand to drop onto the rails so driving wheels can get a grip. Not sure where they need to do this other than on grades or else in icy conditions.

interurban

Thanks for the info john:D :wave:
?? Do C P use synthetic sand??
The sand has to be very dry before you fill up the units if not it will clog up the drop pipes.

Sand is used for grip on power up, also to assist in braking
I think also for up hill grip and down hill braking assist.
Helps prevent slip /slide which causes flat wheel. Expensive to fix a flat wheel, we saw a machine wheel grinder on our last visit with John.:wave:

Diesel John

Your right guy's..
sand is used for traction between the
wheel and rail, mostly in bad weather, Ther Hogger can apply the sand with a flick of a button, most locomotives have an auto system. If the wheel slips the load drops to the traction motors an alarm sounds and they have to correct.

In all major railway yards that fuel, must also have sand. You would'nt want to be on a high grade of track in the middle of winter and run out of sand. For a lack of better words, "your dead on the rails"