3dplus 3d software for free...

Discussion in 'Software' started by wunwinglow, Jul 20, 2005.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

2. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

I was looking at this a few weeks ago. I still can't decide if it is worth it or not because it appears that they are basically setting you up for telemarketing. This should be easy to avoid with a service such as Mailinator, but one claim was that they ask you to register by phone which gives them your phone number.

It's hard to decide on these things because a lot of really good free software exists (Gimp, Blender, etc..), but mixed in with that are a number of people that just want to rip you off.

Here is a link to discussions on Free Serif Products sorted by date starting with a post just today. I might get brave and try it.

Link

James
  3. Darwin

Darwin Member

I have been a Serif customer since version 1 of PagePlus. They make very good desktop publishing software....perhaps the best value for the money in the industry. The drawing and image processing programs are good, but not great....no real threat to Corel Draw or Photoshop, but then again, the Serif stuff was intended as an extension of the main product (DTP) rather than stand-alone software. The 3D portion was developed specifically to enhance print documents with 3D fonts. I haven't played with the latest versions, but expect that the 3D program is not a heavy-duty stand-alone component. Yes, once you register, you will get some telemarketing.....TANSTAAFL. If you want to do a little DTP, that is very small price to pay. I've got to say that the number of calls you receive is minimal, and the telemarketers are not obnoxiously pushy, and take no for an answer with minimal argument. I used to kind of look forward to them, as it meant they were launching a new revison of one of their main products and were going to offer it to me (often with an optional and very attractive package of products I didn't own yet) at a dirt cheap price (usually about $10 American for just the program that had been upgraded). Since they were bought out by the Brits, that (sob) is no longer true....upgrade prices have steeply risen, and I have been barely able to understand the accents of the telemarketers (in their defense, some of the New Englander's who called were pretty marginal for understanding to a westerner). The last may have changed, as the most recent call I received was again in an American accent. The upgrade price has considerably escalated, however. A big point in their favor is that they seem to keep your information to themselves....I did not notice any appreciable increase in general computer-related telemarketing after registering with them, even before the national do-not-call registry went into effect. A few extra telephone calls a year is a small price to pay for their "free" downloads, particularly when the caller is polite and doesn't push past the first "no thanks, I'm not interested." All things considered, though, if the primary interest is designing paper models, there are better suited freebies available on the net.
  4. rullow

rullow New Member

thank you very much :D
    I will try those programs and if i will have some good results i will share it with you.... i wanna start with a simple things like ground boms, mortars, hand grenades, panzerfausts and other features for ground models....
    And another question-which program are you using for colouring the models?
  5. rullow

rullow New Member

thank you very much :D
    I will try those programs and if i will have some good results i will share it with you.... i wanna start with a simple things like ground boms, mortars, hand grenades, panzerfausts and other features for ground models....
    And another question-which program are you using for colouring the models?
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

From the Serif range, Photo Plus will work with bitmap images (bmp, png, jpg, tiff, gif etc) While draw Plus will work with vecroe imagery. Not knowing the software I don't know their own file formats, but I would expect them to read and export in several vector formats. ai, dxf, maybe cdr.

Hey, they are free downloads! Give them a try! As with all software, you have to spend some time getting to know them, but you can always ask questions here.

There are many other programs to choose from if you don't like the Serif ones.

Best wishes,

Tim P
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

From the Serif range, Photo Plus will work with bitmap images (bmp, png, jpg, tiff, gif etc) While draw Plus will work with vecroe imagery. Not knowing the software I don't know their own file formats, but I would expect them to read and export in several vector formats. ai, dxf, maybe cdr.

Hey, they are free downloads! Give them a try! As with all software, you have to spend some time getting to know them, but you can always ask questions here.

There are many other programs to choose from if you don't like the Serif ones.

Best wishes,

Tim P