3D Hound titan

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
So I searched a long time for a good 3D warhound model to work with, and couldn't find it. So I decided to start a new lunchtime activity and back drive a 3d model from JSV's DIY template. My goal is to eventually use this to make a pepakura file out of.

I originally started JSV's template, and ran into alot of issues first with scaling, and then the lack of tabs. So I went into powerpoint and made my own tabs through trial and error. After one leg I gave up because of the workload. So this will be my attempt to rebuild what he's already done and have a clean, pure paper build, start.

The other added benefit is I can texture wrap the model as I see fit, and wouldn't have to deal with powerpoint to do any textures.

Cheers,

Leibolmai

Attachments

• hound start.jpg
    hound start.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 71
Z

Zathros

I wanted to show you something that took 3 minutes in Rhino, as an example per our discussion. The unfolded model can be exploded and it's piece put where ever you wish. :)

First pic, draw shape/ Polyline command
2nd pic Extrude Surface (Select YES for CAP, NO for EXPLODE)
3rd pic Apply Texture in Properties Window
4th UnRoll Developable Surface, (No=Explode, No=Label)

The textures do not unroll with the part, so I reapplied them to the part. You can make them do that, but i need to work on my barn now! :)

Attachments

• li1.jpg
    li1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 51
  • li2.jpg
    li2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 66
  • li3.jpg
    li3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 41

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
I'll have to try, Catia is my natural fallback obviously. My plan right now is to take these pieces and save off as stl and go right into pepakura. I'm wondering if maybe I can get them into Rhino after making them in Catia? I know I tried that with a complex model with curves, but this is all facets being back driven from the folded model.

I completely redid the head from what JSV had on his template. Just wouldnt go together as nice as I wanted, and didn't match the forgeworld model that well. To show progress better I created a stiched model of all the pieces relatively in place but slightly exploded.

To do list is the weapons, and tweak the toes so they go together better. Won't have any new updates until next week, will be too busy this weekend to work on it.

Cheers,

Leibolmai

Attachments

• hound stitch 1.jpg
    hound stitch 1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 41
Z

Zathros

Rhino will read Catia files. I am working on a commercial project (can't divulge the customer's name) but I can read the Catia files. :)

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
Lunch cut short today. Only time for two weapons and assembling one of them. I changed how cannon goes together for cleaner fit.
Cheers Leib

Attachments

• day 4 weapon.jpg
    day 4 weapon.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 35
  • hound stitch 2 first weapon.jpg
    hound stitch 2 first weapon.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 61

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
Quick update. All parts are made and can be brought into pepakura. I put together the head in pepakura, and slowly been experimenting with the texture mapping. I've used the pepakura texture map export feature and put that into powerpoint and been editing in there. I didn't get fancy with the teeth area because the jaws will cover it anyway giving the mouth effect.

Cheers,

Leibolmai

Attachments

• hound texture start.jpg
    hound texture start.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 75

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
Quick update. Noticed today that somewhere along the line ended up with a scaling issue. Not sure how. Everyhing brought into Pepakura was scaled down by 1.88. Finding the scale down meant going back to CATIA and comparing to the printed out length. Anybody with pepakura knowledge know what might have gone wrong?

Cheers,
Leibolmai

Edit, found this post here. Doesn't answer all my questions but helps a bit.
http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160199

Anybody know what it means by Assembled size? --Leibolmai

Z

Zathros

I think if you P.M. ARMORMAN, tell him I sent you, he will help you out, his knowledge is vast! :)

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
I rebuilt the templates in 3D in CATIA V5, then I'm unfolding them in Pepakura. Right now I'm still experimenting with different texture techinques and to get the scale correct. I figured out the scaling issue in pepakura it was not intuitive at all, and since its only in mm's doesn't convert cleaning (what should be 215.9mm is either 215 or 216). My goal is simply to "Pepakura"ize this set of templates allowing easier texture, and flap additions. Once I get that done, I'll go back into CATIA and start making accessories and add-on packages.

Cheers,

Leibolmai

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
Just minor update, been very busy with real life lately. Switched to Canvas for texture creation, can never seem to get the texture map bmp that pepakura outputs to line up after export, modify with cool stuff, and re-import. So takes alot of tweaking. Canvas seems to have slightly better quality, but not much more then powerpoint. Didn't solve the alignment problems I was blaming on powerpoint.

Cheers,

Leibolmai

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 43

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
Long time betwen updates. Tried out my new machine today on the head piece just normal printer paper. Still learning alignment but works well. Glad i tried trial version of pepakura viewer for the cutter because it doesnt play well with windows 8. I had to export blank tiff with just edges and used cutter software to find edges for cut lines, then put a fully textured printed paper on cutter.

Will use this print paper cut for first test build. I may get distracted and run elli's blaneblade through the cutter first very very tempting.

Cheers and Happy New year if I dont get on again till 2013.

Leibolmai

Attachments

• 20121231_114211.jpg
    20121231_114211.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 41
Z

Zathros

Long time betwen updates. Tried out my new machine today on the head piece just normal printer paper. Still learning alignment but works well. Glad i tried trial version of pepakura viewer for the cutter because it doesnt play well with windows 8. I had to export blank tiff with just edges and used cutter software to find edges for cut lines, then put a fully textured printed paper on cutter.

Will use this print paper cut for first test build. I may get distracted and run elli's blaneblade through the cutter first very very tempting.

Cheers and Happy New year if I dont get on again till 2013.

Leibolmai

What do you have for a cutting machine. I purchased a Silhouette Cameo and it took bout 6 hours, lots of paper and cutting and 3 hrs. with tech support before they realized the machine was defective. That was a year ago. They sent me a new one, I took it out of the box and haven't touched it since, being so disgusted with it. I will probably give it a go again, it is a drag that you have to do all those control points to create a cutting path. It's almost like making the model all over again! When it works, it really does cut right where you want it to though, and the way it aligns itself makes putting the paper not so touchy. :)

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
I have the cameo. Still experimenting with it. Right now my biggest complaint is no clear indication of how to align the matt on loading. The software it came with does well finding edges, but i have had big issues with pepakuras viewer for the cameo. Have yet to get it to align yet that way at all.

Cheers,
Leibolmai

Kjev

Dec 15, 2006
South Eastern Idaho
I know diddily about a cameo, but what about this?

Can you convert your Pep file to a PDF then print that with the cameo? I know with a standard printer you can print PDFs with alignment points. Would that help any?

Leibolmai

Aug 28, 2012
Connecticut
Funny enough I was just pming somebody about that. That would be great for putting pdfs through the cameo. Right now its alot of work to trace edges from anything but the pdo.

Latest update below. I am not happy with parts of the test build so going to go back and change some of my fancy edges. Also not thrilled with the paint job i did for the skin. Going to go back to drawing board on that. Please not this was regular printer paper to test both cameo and build before using my card stock.

Cheers,
Leibolmai

Attachments

• 20130112_181102.jpg
    20130112_181102.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 47
Z

Zathros

If you could do it straight from a pdf, that would be great. I might even plug mine in! :)