33' Hoppers - Anyone got a source?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by 2-8-2, Dec 12, 2006.

1. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

I'm looking for 33' open hopper cars, undecorated...or more preferrable...data only. However, I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone have a source for these?
  2. railroader9731

railroader9731 Member

I know the feeling as im in search of them cars to repaint them into the NYO&W hoppers they once owned. so i guess ill have to strip as much as i can and decal them.
  3. inkaneer

inkaneer Member

1. Where have you tried?

2. Are these the MT hoppers?

3. Does it matter if ribbed or offset side?
  4. pooka2hot4u

pooka2hot4u Member

5. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

You might do better to order up some of the Canadian Pacific 33 foot hopper "runner packs" from MTL that are coming mid-next year (if you can wait that long). Removing the lettering should be fairly easy. The street price on these cars should be in the $10 to $11 range since the four pack lists for $50.

In addition, once in a while you can catch a deal on the Atlas fishbelly side hoppers. There's a lot of seven Western Maryland cars out there right now, for example. You'd have to repaint since they're oxide red and the O&W cars were black.

There is a comparatively large amount of lettering on the GN car which will take some work. I wouldn't sand, by the way. There is a product called "Easy Lift Off" which has worked pretty well for me with MTL cars (and great with the newer Atlas cars as well). It's made by Polly S (actually RPM). An 8 fluid ounce container of the stuff cost me $6.25 and it's lasted me two years so far.
  6. pooka2hot4u

pooka2hot4u Member

well you guys know what i mean. i say sand because i used to mod airsoft guns before, and with those you use sandpaper alot, but whatever works best for you.