300 piece kit..

After 8 hrs on a walthers blast furnace, I feel like I hardly made a dent. Ignore the color from the CA fumes. This will be primed and painted and weathered. A little trick when working with huge kits is to use a yellow highlighter on the instructions as soon as you complete that step. This way you don't keep reading the same line over and over. Also, when I remove a good part of pieces from a sprue, I cut and discard all excess sprues. This way I'm not looking for pieces on a sprue thats empty. Anway, here is some progress shots...more to come.

Attachments

• 8hrs.jpg
    8hrs.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 635
take a break

we put the artificial christmas tree away, but I guess ROXY missed it and wanted to say "goodbye". She's a good distraction. More pics coming soon of the furnace.

Attachments

• roxyresize.jpg
    roxyresize.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 621

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Looks like it is coming along pretty good. :thumb: Just going to take sometime to get it all done. 300 pieces is alot. But you will get it done. :wave:

TrainClown

If you ask me, your rushing it. The joy is in the building. Once the kit is compleat, then that's it. How proud will you be if your kit is just thrown together in haste? For me, the more parts a model has, the more super detailing I can do. I have models and other projects that I have been working on for years. My time is precious and I don't get a much time for my hobbies as I would like, so it's worked out this way.

My advice to you is, if your not enjoying the build right now, then put it away until you feel like doing something on it. Do something else you enjoy in the meantime.

Relax and enjoy. God is in the details.

TrainClown ;)

CSX,
Ambroid Pro-Weld, and Tenax 7-R work a bit better on styrene kits, stick your fingers to the model less, and grabs quickly.
Looks nice! Now I know why I don't have one of those.... Too many parts! Should be huge, though!

Built ups

Heck, if this was a already assembled kit, I'd pay the extra buck. I enjoy painting, weathering, and scenery the most. Building is just a neccessary evil.

siderod

Hemmi,

I love ambroid pro-weld...wonderful stuff, and great for filling small holes in plastic too...as it does melt the styrene a bit.

Lookin great, CSX...gonna be a big building! :D

2slim

CSX
That's a great trick with the instructions especially on Walthers kits. I must have read the instructions a couple hundred times while putting together a HO Jordan Spreader kit and since I have 2 more to build I'm going to make good use of that one. Your trick on the sprues is good too but if you are working with lots of smaller parts, (like on that Spreader) it may get you into a pickle if there are parts which are right or left hand specific. I remember having to use the part numbers to identify specific pieces. I do use the kit box halfs to keep the 'loaded' & empty sprues corraled and seperated. Those steel mill kits are awesome, a guy in our local module club built the entire HO mill on 2 - 8' x 30" modules. He added lights and sounds to it, it's a layout all by itself!!

2slim

Getting there...

Primered. Making some track changes, building the ore pit from styrene. Still got some more building left to do on furnace.

Attachments

• blas1.jpg
    blas1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 535
  • blas2.jpg
    blas2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 548
  • blas3.jpg
    blas3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 543
  • blas4.jpg
    blas4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 538

igoldberg

My blast furnace took me 2 months to build. I primed and painted the parts as I needed them. You have a good looking Furnace. What is the white box next to furnace for?

Working on ore pit

Trying to scratchbuild a ore pit. styrene frame, will add to make it thicker looking and paint in aged concrete. Styrofoam hills are painted and will be covered with ore, coke, and lime. I havent decided how I'm gonna build an overhead crane to move the raw materials around yet. So far kit took about 30 hours. I still have to weather it and add people and lights, etc. Also, like most ships, this will be named after my wife ...KELLY LYNN FURNACE

Attachments

• kellylynn.jpg
    kellylynn.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 480

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Just remember to put everything into perspective. It's the old adage, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. :D :D

Bob Morris

That's looking good! Reminds me of my days in Bethlehem, Pa. when they were still making steel (early/mid eighties).

Bob

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
CSX, that is turning into one great looking scene! It makes me regret not featuring the blast furnace on my steel mill since you've placed yours in a track loop much like where I placed my rolling mill. That kit is a wonder. I've seen it fully constructed at my LHS and am amazed by the look of it. You did a fine job. I also like your scenary.
Keep those pics coming!
Ralph