30"x48" N setup

Chad

Dec 19, 2006
Cumming, GA, USA
Thanks for the compliments folks!

The overpass is only high enough to allow for my tallest car under it allowing for the track and roadbed, it's eyballed to about 1/8th of an inch from the top of the tallest rail car. I created a "bridge" from some metal flashing so that it can be thin and strong. It's going to be hidden inside the mountain. I'll try to get a picture of that up today.

The grades are all 2% EXCEPT for the overpass as there is not enough distance to do 2% and get high enough so it is 4%. The section going under the overpass is 2%. Probably 3% up and down would have been best, but oh well.

Chad

Dec 19, 2006
Cumming, GA, USA
ok... here's the "bridge" that will support the train and the tunnel entrances.

03312007341.jpg

03312007342.jpg

03312007343.jpg

Chad

Dec 19, 2006
Cumming, GA, USA
Got some more work done today since it was raining out. Most of the track is down :D
normal_PICT0095.JPG

This shows the clearance inside the mountain.
normal_PICT0097.JPG

I broke out a 23 year old Bachman 0-8-0 engine just to take a couple of pictures. I dont have any wiring done yet so nobody drives.
normal_PICT0114.JPG

normal_PICT0116.JPG

Chad

Dec 19, 2006
Cumming, GA, USA
Got my wiring done with no issues :D
My machines that are 20+ years old don't run so well but the old F deisel runs okay. The Athearn 2-8-0 runs AWSOME. I could not beleive how smooth and quiet it runs! Do all "modern" models run this smooth now?
Model power has a 4-4-0 American that I like.
mp-440-prr.jpg

So all the talk about connectors, I just decided that I would just mount the switches on the 1x6 side of the framework. Easy!
PICT0069.JPG

normal_PICT0068_8x6.JPG

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Curious about the use of cat5 i've seen it on a couple of layout photo's on the gauge. How does it stand up to the amperage needed to run switch machines?

Currently i use 18awg solid copper for track feeder and 14awg for bus. I use 18awg solid copper for switch machines. Been experimenting w/ 16awg stranded, but i see you using these network wires w/ sucess makes me wonder :) am i just overkilling the wiring? I'd live to use thinner wires :) easier to work w/ and i have 2 spools of about 1000feet each solid copper cat5e already.

Chad

Dec 19, 2006
Cumming, GA, USA
Ever hear of power over ethernet? 48VDC and 15 watts... I dont expect any problems using cat5. I have used cat5 as speaker cable too.

24 gauge is ok for 0.577 amps
If you use two 24 gauge wires it's the same as an 18 gauge wire, 2.3 amps

Switch machines use such short bursts of power I don't think it's likely to cause an issue,

The circuits I have are 3 feet or less so voltage drop is not very much, like 0.6% at 12 volts.

I did use much larger wire to supply power from the dual cab controller.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
I forgot that ethernet wire is low loss cable because it's twisted pair. Anyhow I use 22 gage wire for my feeders and i plan to use 18gauge lamp cord wire around my room but then again its only a 9.5x11 room so it wont be much voltage drop. Besides thats the standard for Ntrak and they had over 400 modules w/o a problem but I guess they had a couple power districts and boosters.
Jake

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Chad said:
Brother... I just started thinking, I have NO bridge. So now I am thinking of building one where the control panel is.
That sounds like an interesting thought :thumb:
In fact that could be the solution to one of my problems :)
What type of building do you have in mind?

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Chad said:
OK..... I must be doing something really wrong because I can't get near that many loops in a 3x4 area using RTS. What size curves and straights are you using? I was using 11" curves and 5" straights. Are you going down to 9" curves?

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Chad said:
Yes - The inside is 9" and the outside is 11". The line going to the yard uses 9" also. I can send you the RTS file if you like?
Wow.... Do 9" curves cause any major restrictions? Longer passenger cars won't take them will they? Either way, I'd like to see the file on it. Maybe I can figure out how to work in such a restrictive space. I'll PM my e-mail addy to you.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
Cannonball, my N scale layout is all 9 3/4 track and I have run double-stacks, automax's and SD70MACS on it and I have never had a derailment. It even has 4 S-Curves on it and it has never had a problem.

Chad, are you scratch building the bridge? Are you talking about the curve near your control panel? Can't wait to see it!

Chad

Dec 19, 2006
Cumming, GA, USA
Yes - I was thinking of scratchbuilding it, and yes you have the correct location. I just have not designed it yet. I have ordered AutoCad for dummies :)