3 Foot BSG Build Progress

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by H1rg0n, Feb 13, 2009.

1. H1rg0n

H1rg0n New Member

For those of us that are undertaing this monumental task of building this monster of a model. Feel free to post your progress pics here.

Cheers
    H1rg0n
    (AKA - James)
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

eagerly waiting to see this.
  3. H1rg0n

H1rg0n New Member

I just started printing out the pages tonight. As the model is bigger i am going to try and use heavier paper. Bought some 110lb paper and the ship is printing out as i type this. Hopefully i will post some progress pics by Sunday.
  4. H1rg0n

H1rg0n New Member

Here we go. I apologize if the pics are too big.

First i printed all the pages using 110lb white paper i bought at staples. New printer cartridge in my HP C3180 printer and about 45 minutes of waiting and everything was good to go.

Here is a photo of everything that i am using to build this monster. Regular scotch tape, 1/2 inch masking tape, a 6 inch metal ruler, a clay shaping tool (to create straight fold lines but does not mark the paper and is sharper than an empty pen) and regular old scissors (that are as sharp as hell). The piece that looks like a white out machine is actually roller tape. This stuff is wicked sticky and it is a godsend when lining up parts.

[​IMG]

Next i started with the upper for the front. Cut out all the pieces, made creases where they were needed and started putting it together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is what it looks like fully assembled. I used the 6 inch ruler to provide scale for those who do understand the sheer size of this sucker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next part was the middle section of the bridge, by far the easiest part of this build. Same drill, cut first, crease edges as needed then assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow as i get it done :mrgreen:
  5. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

H1rg0n-Your work looks very good so far!:thumb: I'm not a fan of the new BSG, (this one is from the new BSG right?) but looking at the size of this model ans the good textures, I might have to add this to my build que!

Are you using glue for joining parts, or just the different types of tape?

Keep up the pics and good work!:mrgreen:
  6. H1rg0n

H1rg0n New Member

Just using different types of tape for the big parts. The small parts might require glue.... will cross that bridge when i get to it.
  7. fr33lancer

fr33lancer New Member

Looking good man. Looking forward to following this build.
  8. H1rg0n

H1rg0n New Member

OK. Got the final part of the front done today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple of shots with all three pieces stacked on top of each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stop....mid section...GASP!
  9. cmags

cmags Guest

Nice, looking good. I'm excited to follow this build - it'll help me out later when I attack the 1.5' model (I have to build small - don't have enough room for the massive ships :) )
  10. Commander Adama

Commander Adama Member

Wow!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: Cant wait to see the finished product.:mrgreen:
  11. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

off to super start!!
  12. H1rg0n

H1rg0n New Member

Still going strong on this one. The last couple of nights have been all about cutting out the mid section. Hopefully i will have some more updates by the weekend.
  13. jcholmstedt

jcholmstedt New Member

fellow BSG builder

Great work so far. I to am also building the mighty 3 foot version, I did not like the result of the 1.5 ft. version so graduated to the big one. I am working through the midsection right now. This part is very tedious and time consuming, can't wait for the pics of yours. If you don't mind, I am a little puzzled and fortunately you are going through this at the same time as me. When you get to the midsection, any ideas what the white square on the bottom is for? (its right where the lower part of the bridge attaches) I can't figure out if I should have cut it or not. Any ideas?
  14. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Just started putting mine together...Amazing how well the parts match up!
  15. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Anyone have any ideas as to how far apart the bulkheads for the lower bridge section should be spaced? There seems to be only one hash-mark. I've glued "fb2" and "fb8" to the ends, but I'm afraid to glue the other formers to "fb1" without knowing what the spacing should be...
  16. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

Hey James, long time no see, or should I call you Darth Hirgon ;)
    Your off to a great start,I will keep an eye out for progress on this one.
  17. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Update available

I posted an updated fb1 in the downloads section. The lines indicating the spacing got removed by mistake.

It's absolutely fabulous to know that people are actually building this thing. I put a lot of time and effort into developing this kit (with some help from my friends nothing and skupilkinson), and it's extremely rewarding to see photos from someone who is actually building it. Thanks H1rg0n for sharing the pics.

I had a report from someone a while back about mis-aligned textures on the mid section. I haven't taken the time to follow up on that yet, but seeing this build thread is making me feel guilty so I will do so very soon, and post updated pages.

Thanks again,

Steve (SJ)
    (maybe someday I'll even get around to building one myself :)
  18. jcholmstedt

jcholmstedt New Member

Nice to see you on the forum sjsquirrel.
    I am presently stuck on the mid-section, specifically LBL-2 and LBR-2 do not line up on the landing bay arms for each side. It is the viper launch tubes and another detail that seem to be a few inches off. Would you be able to fix these parts so we can continue/finish the midsection of your wonderful model?
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

download approved :)
    Chris
  20. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

jcholmstedt,

Is it possible you've inadvertently switched these two pieces? It's important that LBL-2 be attached to LBL-1 and LBL-3, or the textures won't line up just as you describe. I've looked over the pattern and 3D model and it all looks fine. On LBL-2 and LBR-2 the E shaped panels should be on top of the landing bay. All pieces are laid out on the pages with the front edges at the top of the page and the rear edges at the bottom.

I have just uploaded an additional patch that corrects a texture problem on the landing bay arms. It should be available in the downloads section once it's approved. There was a problem in the initial release where the textures didn't match between the LB arms and the main body.

Regards,

SJ