2ND Gauge Layout party

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Mar 17, 2004.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

I'm sure Glad I had my camera!! As I was leaving, I took one more shot.... Funny thing was... my GPS didn't work - the entire time I was "inside" the compound..... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Attached Files:

2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

As always,...... I'll keep an eye on it & report any progress they make. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Great looking lamps Fred.
    Mikey, your imagination is working overtime
  4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Hello partiers,

I'm a little dissappointed in my progress this week. Although one of my prioroties is to not have many goals and just do what I feel like, so my hobby time is more enjoyable, I really didn't want to reduce my hobby time. Well, this week it got significantly reduced due to unexpected changes in working schedules. I generally don't model when my wife and I are both off work, but I did manage to squeeze in a little LPB painting. and a lot of photo's, some of which wil show up in
    the Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards thread, as soon as I get them resized. Enough whining, here's the LPBs:

Attached Files:

• lpb.jpg
      lpb.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

...and some partially complete LPB

Attached Files:

• lpb2.jpg
      lpb2.jpg
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Those poor siameese twins.:cry: You really need to get them help jon. FRED

PS. A washer and dryer would help too.:D FRED
  7. Skunk Valley

Skunk Valley Member

Progress Report on the FoamRail Project:

Weathered the track by hand brushing some rust over quite a bit of it. Followed that with an air-brushing of railroad tie brown. Probably need to go back and lightly rust a little more. Oh well....

Also planted a lot of grass on a few areas.

Backdrops are now kinda sky blue, and need some additional work to blend into the scenery.

I'll try for a few pix this evening.
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I spent some of my modelling time writing a how-to for the post lights and sent a copy to Catt for the NARA site and posted it also on my site http://www.trainweb.org/zmtshortline/led1.html . Give me some feedback on it please. Man, that was too much like work. ;) FRED
  9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Nice job Fred, it read easy and it's well explained. Great idea too!
  10. Skunk Valley

Skunk Valley Member

And here's the latest...

Attached Files:

11. Skunk Valley

Skunk Valley Member

...and another....

Attached Files:

12. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

That looks real nice Jack, but ... something smells ... a skunk? :eek: :eek: :eek: LOL I esp like the way you did your backboard. FRED:D :D :D
  13. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Looking good Jack!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  14. Matthyro

Nice track painting and ballasting Jack. I like the backdrop too.
  15. Skunk Valley

Skunk Valley Member

Ummmm.... There's no ballast there, yet. That's coming in the next week or so.

Opinions sought: While some of the main objectives are light weight and ruggedness, the pictures strike me as showing a quite flat scene. One side is intended for an industrial setting. The rest is to be "out in the country." I'm hoping some hills painted on the backboards and some small forests will break up the flatness. Comments?
  16. Skunk Valley

Skunk Valley Member

Something smells all right!!!!

Attached Files:

17. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Ok, but how does it look in person? Pictures often tend to change the prespective because they convert a 3D scene to 2D and distort or highlight the scene. Sure, some painted on mountains can give you a illusion of depth, but only if done right. If you do it wrong it can sometimes look cartoonish. Also, painting can be a problem due to height. If you paint it where it looks perfect to you and you raise or lower the layout, a shorter or taller person walks in, or you have an accident with a chainsaw then it will look wrong. You did the color blend to the horizon correctly, far away mountains appear dark blue/gray and soft/fuzzy. Also, have you looked at backdrop warehouse http://www.backdropwarehouse.com/PRODUCTS.htm FRED
  18. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Today I put some of my LED lights on a diarama I'm working on that will be put on a corner module of the layout. I found that if I sanded the dome/lens off a led it diffused it better. So I did that and painter the two leads and bent them together and applied more paint and got what appears to be a single mounting pipe.

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
  19. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Here's a view from a different angle. BTW the building is cerial board and cardboard; all but the doors and windows. I been watching Robin and learned how to do it I think. The tires I cast from hot melt glue and the junk is various toy cars and woodlawn scenic castings, one of them junk packs. FRED

Attached Files:

• 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
  20. Matthyro

Those are neat lights Fred. I like how it lights up the scene