2ND Gauge Layout party

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hello partiers,

I'm a little dissappointed in my progress this week. Although one of my prioroties is to not have many goals and just do what I feel like, so my hobby time is more enjoyable, I really didn't want to reduce my hobby time. Well, this week it got significantly reduced due to unexpected changes in working schedules. I generally don't model when my wife and I are both off work, but I did manage to squeeze in a little LPB painting. and a lot of photo's, some of which wil show up in
the Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards thread, as soon as I get them resized. Enough whining, here's the LPBs:

Attachments

• lpb.jpg
    lpb.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 105
F

Fred_M

Those poor siameese twins.:cry: You really need to get them help jon. FRED

PS. A washer and dryer would help too.:D FRED

Skunk Valley

Nov 5, 2002
Middle Georgia, USA
Visit site
Progress Report on the FoamRail Project:

Weathered the track by hand brushing some rust over quite a bit of it. Followed that with an air-brushing of railroad tie brown. Probably need to go back and lightly rust a little more. Oh well....

Also planted a lot of grass on a few areas.

Backdrops are now kinda sky blue, and need some additional work to blend into the scenery.

I'll try for a few pix this evening.

F

Fred_M

That looks real nice Jack, but ... something smells ... a skunk? :eek: :eek: :eek: LOL I esp like the way you did your backboard. FRED:D :D :D

Skunk Valley

Nov 5, 2002
Middle Georgia, USA
Visit site
Ummmm.... There's no ballast there, yet. That's coming in the next week or so.

Opinions sought: While some of the main objectives are light weight and ruggedness, the pictures strike me as showing a quite flat scene. One side is intended for an industrial setting. The rest is to be "out in the country." I'm hoping some hills painted on the backboards and some small forests will break up the flatness. Comments?

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by Skunk Valley
Ummmm.... There's no ballast there, yet. That's coming in the next week or so.

Opinions sought: While some of the main objectives are light weight and ruggedness, the pictures strike me as showing a quite flat scene. One side is intended for an industrial setting. The rest is to be "out in the country." I'm hoping some hills painted on the backboards and some small forests will break up the flatness. Comments?
Ok, but how does it look in person? Pictures often tend to change the prespective because they convert a 3D scene to 2D and distort or highlight the scene. Sure, some painted on mountains can give you a illusion of depth, but only if done right. If you do it wrong it can sometimes look cartoonish. Also, painting can be a problem due to height. If you paint it where it looks perfect to you and you raise or lower the layout, a shorter or taller person walks in, or you have an accident with a chainsaw then it will look wrong. You did the color blend to the horizon correctly, far away mountains appear dark blue/gray and soft/fuzzy. Also, have you looked at backdrop warehouse http://www.backdropwarehouse.com/PRODUCTS.htm FRED

F

Fred_M

Today I put some of my LED lights on a diarama I'm working on that will be put on a corner module of the layout. I found that if I sanded the dome/lens off a led it diffused it better. So I did that and painter the two leads and bent them together and applied more paint and got what appears to be a single mounting pipe.

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 97
F

Fred_M

Here's a view from a different angle. BTW the building is cerial board and cardboard; all but the doors and windows. I been watching Robin and learned how to do it I think. The tires I cast from hot melt glue and the junk is various toy cars and woodlawn scenic castings, one of them junk packs. FRED

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 90