2ND Gauge Layout party

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
OK here are some photos of what I am starting out with. I have a half built station, a piece of pink foam, and a box of WS roadbed. I have enough stuff to be dangerous now.

My goals are to:
1. Get the station build.
2. Get the general terrain layout on the diorama
3. Get the track laid.
4. Start the scenery.

I was searching through my workbench tonight for some unrelated to the project and came a cross a bag of WS tree apertures and a box of fine foliage. Well now I have enough trees to get me started. I need to make a trip to the LHS and get some track so I can begin the track laying operation.

Here are some beginning photos:

amj.jpg

amk.jpg

Mikey are we going to use this topic for updates or are you going to start a new one?

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Well what do you know... I'm 1.5 hours late.. :( Anyway.. here's my "Starting point!! :)

I'm gonna finish this bridge or go nuts trying. LOL (short walk for me). :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

Well - It's April First!!!!! Let teh "Party" begin!! :) Thanks everyone for coming & remember - if you need anything, just ask & someone will try to help you!!

Attachments

• g001.jpg
    g001.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 100
F

Fred_M

Originally posted by N Gauger

Well - It's April First!!!!! Let teh "Party" begin!! :) Thanks everyone for coming & remember - if you need anything, just ask & someone will try to help you!!
Ok, anybody seen my %^$#* keys? I'm gonna go a bit slow for me at first. Monday I got attacked by the neighbor's 4 beagles and I got 7 stiches in my left trigger finger. My left hand is also all swollen up and lots of little teeth mark in my arms and hands. The cops did nothing but check the dogs for tags even though they were in my yard, so if I go to jail for using my shotgun (12 gauge with 3" 00, my old Y2K supply) on them you'll know where I went. Actually I shouldn't get in trouble out here in the sticks unless PITA is around, but they are why I'm using 00 and not 8's. I mean bussiness. Just hope I don't drop my gun :D . FRED

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Hey Fred don't you have a pit bull or something like that to keep those pesky tresspassing Beagles away ? What does your neighbour say or have you already sued him.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by dash10
Ok, anybody seen my %^$#* keys? I'm gonna go a bit slow for me at first. Monday I got attacked by the neighbor's 4 beagles and I got 7 stiches in my left trigger finger. My left hand is also all swollen up and lots of little teeth mark in my arms and hands. The cops did nothing but check the dogs for tags even though they were in my yard, so if I go to jail for using my shotgun (12 gauge with 3" 00, my old Y2K supply) on them you'll know where I went. Actually I shouldn't get in trouble out here in the sticks unless PITA is around, but they are why I'm using 00 and not 8's. I mean bussiness. Just hope I don't drop my gun :D . FRED

Happy April Fools day FRED, I think you meant PETA, which being a carnivour, I fully support.

F

Fred_M

We have a great pyrenees, but he's a puppy and we (unlike our worthless neighbors) keep him in a fenced yard. He's right at 125 lbs and 14 months old. I would never let him get mean or allow him to fight. The neighbors dogs were trying to get to him and I, like a DASH, tried to get them away. They are renters so what's the point of sueing. All's I would get would be an uncollectable judgement after paying my attorney fees. No, my best friend Mossburg will do any future talking to them dogs for me. Got the trigger lock off and one shucked in already. 5 more in the tube.:D So far they ain't been back.
I'm waiting on some transistors, but I found the LTP port will operate a 5v relay directly without the transistor amp, but all the info I find suggest it's not good on the I/O chips. Hope you can find a machine for yourself Robin. I would give you one free, but shipping would kill you. Tata fer now...FRED

F

Fred_M

Hi jon, I'm serious, and it's not April 1st for 2 1/2 hours yet.:) Also forgive my typing as I'm down to one hand typing. I would scan my hand but it's gross and all. So instaed here's a picturemof my dog. FRED

Attachments

• cheif.jpg
    cheif.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 87
F

Fred_M

At least your dogs awake! Here's my house dogs and where they can be found 23hour and 43 min a day. Now we are turning this into a dog show.:D :D :D FRED

Attachments

• skippy.jpg
    skippy.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 176

CarlFidy

Jun 17, 2002
Owasso, OK
Visit site
Sorry I'm late....

:sleeping: (not completely my fault, once I had the post ready the site was down:rolleyes: )

My goal is to finish a minor remodel on a corner module for the local N-trak club. This is a 4ft. corner with standard red and yellow lines, but the blue line had sharper turns with a straight section between. At our last show, we found the turns on the blue line were either too sharp or the easements(or possibly lack of) were causing close-coupled passenger equipment to derail.

Scenery on this module consists of an oil tank farm along the backdrop with an earth dike surrounding it. Between the dike and mainlines was a warehouse-mixing building. The blue line had a spur leading to a track down each side of the warehouse.

Some work is already done. All the scenery between the tank farm dike and the yellow line was removed. The blue line has been repositioned and ballasted "paralell" to the other mains. The spur has been laid, now going to three tracks. One will again be along a dock between the building and the mains. The other 2, between the building and the dike, will have an oil loading rack between them.

Projects to complete:

1) ballast(with dirt) the 3 spurs

2) build oil loading rack(most likely a scratchbuild-unless someone knows of a N-scale oil rack kit or something similar that could be bashed)

3) rework existing building

4) rework and install plumbing from tank farm to loading rack and building

5) replace ground cover

Pictures coming this weekend.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
OK! The party has begun! Well, I've been searching for some sort of reference pics for the barge to rails bulk commodaties business I want to replace my current structure with. After some looking I found this site about the Duquesne Wharf. The second pic on this site's page is pretty much what I'd like to model but greatly compressed to fit in less than two feet of space.http://www.tstarinc.com/union/urr/page3.htm
Ralph

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Well I did some work over the weekend so it looks like I am due for an update and here it is. I found some light fixtures at a recent trip to the LHS. I painted them and attached six of them to the station.

Here is one of them at the waiting room door.
ane.jpg

I also painted the roof. I looked at the roof and the sample picture on the box and determined that the shingles seem to resemble wood shingles. I then looked around the neighborhood for examples. I realized that wood shingles vary in color and that there is no consistency or pattern of colors on older roofs. Therefore, I decided to use a technique similar to what I used on the rock castings on the water tower diorama. I dabbed various colors of paint on the roof and then hit it with a wash of the dominate color. I tried using washes for all the applications like the rock castings but because the roof is plastic they did not work. Paint straight from the bottle seemed to work the best. I used in order Folk Art Clay Bisque, Cinnamon, Burnt Sienna, Maple Syrup, Raw Sienna, and Asphaltum. For the final wash I used 2 applications of a Cinnamon and blue windshield washer fluid mixture. I sealed it with Dullcoat. For some reason there is a little bit of shine to the roof right now. I need to do some weathering and another coat of Dullcoat so I am not worried about it.

Next I need to add the chimney. There are two dormers, a vent structure, and a cupola that I can add. I am debating if I want to add them.

Next is to paint the chimney. It is a brick structure so I need to color the bricks and mortar. I also plan on starting the diorama base.

OK time for some update photos:

Front view
amz.jpg

Front and side view
ana.jpg

Loading dock side view
anb.jpg

Rear View
anc.jpg

Rear and side View
and.jpg

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Looks good from here tom!! :thumb: :thumb:

I have decidede instead of jumping right into the scenery, I'll finish the Trestle, then build a Coaling Station (Garden Railway Magazine, April Issue)

Here's a picture of the "almost finished bridge (There's a quarter sitting on the top of the trestle) :D :D :D

quarter.jpg

How about everyone else?? Is everyone getting some work done???? :) :) :)

C

Catt

I am building two TTRAK modules.One is an inside corner and the other is a quad length straight .

The inside was used last saturday night and I discovered a not very ovious problem.It seems that the member who built the origonal modules for us did not use TTRAK specs for track spacing :(

Oh well mine are and I will be posting pics as soon as they are even slighty photogenic.:D

F

Fred_M

I picked up some junk at the computer junkyard and started assembling the relay box. The ordered parts should be in tomorrow so I can start building transistor switched relays. My hands healing up and I can now use all but my left index which still hurts and is sore as .... Where my hand was swollen the worse the skin is now drying out and turnig white and ichy. Swelling is down to where my hands only twice as thick as my right one. Get stiches out Wednesday. :D DASH

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Well, I'm off to a slow start, but I have at least started. :rolleyes:

I have painted the base, carved out where the lake (pond?) edge is to be, glued down about half the needed ties, and started on the turnout.

Here's a progress shot.

Attachments

• shack on dirt2.jpg
    shack on dirt2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 125