238e just finnished.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by cucamonga loco, Dec 9, 2006.

1. cucamonga loco

cucamonga loco New Member

Hi there! New here. I've been lurking around here for some time but finallay decided to jump in.
    This 238e & 2265w belonged to my dad when he was a kid and I used to play with it when I was a kid, well OK, actually I guess you could say I'm still playing with it. As far as he can remember, he says must have gotten it for xmas in 1939. Anyway, I decided to undo two generations of enthusiastic damage done by young boys and restore her former glory. Here she is all painted and detailed. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Oh, man..... That is a beauty!!
    You should be very proud of that one! :thumb:
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

nice job on the restore,,, do you have a pic of the before? this sounds like somthing you would never part with, but if you ever wanted to restore somthing that did not mean as much to you, remember... as a collector most will not give as much $$$ for a repainted engine/car. the factory paint, (even with played with scuffs) are selling for more then a perfect restore.
  4. Cannonball

This is the thing that has always baffled me about hardcore "collectors" of stuff. I play bass guitar as well and an old 1960's Fender bass will fetch upwards of $5,000 to $15,000. The more beat up the better. However, if you strip the paint off of it, refinish it and fix the hardware, then it ain't worth squat. Never understood it.
  5. cucamonga loco

Thanks Cannonball. I figure I have around 200 hours invested in her. The motor came out, the wheels came off, the armature was send back to The Motor Doc in Indiana for a new commutator and rewind. New brushes, rebuilt the e-unit. Every nut, bolt, screw and rivet was removed and the loc and tender body were run through the sandblaster as were all of the trucks, wheels and undercarriage parts. The loc, tender body and wheels were primed and sprayed with automotive acrylic enamel that I had mixed up special for me by an automotive paint supplier. The undercarriage parts were refinnished with gun blue. The trim pieces and most of the bolts were buffed right through the nickel plating to the bright brass underneath and then dipped in a diluted soloution of polyurethane to keep them bright ...and for the coup de grass I converted the lights to LEDs. The headlight was easy, but I had to drill tiny holes sideways into the running lights to install 3mm LEDs. Then came the hard part. Putting it all back together without scratching anything! :thumb:
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

wow, it should run for another 100 years then !
  7. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Beautiful job.
  8. cucamonga loco

I didn't think to take any "before" pics, dangit. Collectors are funny people. They'll pay more for an empty box than they will for the train, go figure. But to hell with the collectors, I have three more 238's (basket cases) and a 249e sitting on my workbench that are going to get the same treatment. They'll be glorious when they're done. If I just get my money back out of it I'll be happy. I do it because I enjoy it.
  9. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Man, that is one gorgeous looking locomotive. I'm very impressed with it.

I don't get the taboo with restorations either. I'd much, much rather have a restoration than a reproduction. I've never understood why anyone would pay more for a repro than they would for a restoration. I'd much rather have an old train with new paint than a new train with new paint that just looks old.
  10. cucamonga loco

Thanks all. I'm very relieved that my fellow train aficionados approve because throughout the entire project a little voice in the back of my head was screaming...you're destroying a classic you fool! But come Christmas comes the ultimate test. That's when I take it up north and show it to my dad. ;)
  11. cucamonga loco

No carp? You too? It's funny how many musicians are also train buffs. I'm also a bassist and have been for nigh on 30 years.
  12. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Dang, cucamonga, that's one fine result for a lot of hard work!! :thumb: I think Mr. Cowan would approve completely, regardless of what the TCA says!! :D :D
  13. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

im a collector, but i use my collection, not just look at them, so i dont try to buy the "best" of anything, i look for the stuff thats in good shape, but not mint, as i know at any time one can derail, or like what happened the other day, a car went off a 36 inch cliff.

i will buy repaints if its something that just "looks cool". but i wont give as much for it.

my rule is, if its a basket case go ahead and restore it, but if it just has some scratches, from age/play. leave it as is.
  14. cucamonga loco

I can't argue with that. I've passed up a lot of trains on ebay just because they were in too good of shape. I've started collecting some really sad cases and letting the ones that don't need me go on by. I have enough parts to get started on another 238e and after the holidays I'll get going.
  15. Cannonball

I've been at it about 20 years now myself. My last band just broke up about 2 months ago after playing only one show. :rolleyes: I'm seriously considering downgrading my gear and getting out of it altogether. I really don't have time for a band now that I'm back on second shift anyway. At least with model trains I don't have to depend on anybody else being there to run them. :D

I have no doubt he will be very impressed with the work you did. :thumb:
  16. 1688torpedo

1688torpedo Member

Hello Cucomonga! That is a Sharp Looking 238E you restored. I have some 1688s myself & all but one are restored. Nice Job. I,too think that the old trains should be preserved like this instead of left in a beat-up condition & I also never understood the rational about restoring an old train is no good for it's value. If it is scratched & dented then a restoration can only help its looks as long as it is done right & properly as its collector value is long gone if it is all scratched up anyway. Super Job & take care........Keith
  17. Cannonball

I'm really curious to find out how his dad reacted to the restored engine. I can't help but admire the work he did and really want to go nuts on some vintage steel myself.
  18. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Look out, Cannonball. Tinplate is very addictive. I went down that road, and now 75% of what I own is the old pressed-metal stuff. Fortunately for me, the Marx tin litho stuff gives me my fix cheaply.
  19. Cannonball

I know.... I know.
    I keep eyeballing those old engines on eBay and thinking how cool they would look all restored. I'm torn between wanting to run the old stuff and wanting all the fancy new gadgets. The old stuff seems to run so much better though.....

As far as scenery goes, I've got a huge box of Lionelville stuff stashed away at my Mom's waiting for a big layout ot go on.