2006 Impreza WRC

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Crazy Potashman, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Crazy Potashman

Crazy Potashman Member

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, and just wanted to post some pics of my current (2nd) build. I'm humbled when I see my company here. Well, here it is, at about 90% complete. There are some things I'd do different if I did this one again, but overall I'm happy with the progress. Just need three more wheel/tire combos, license plate, wipers, some touch up, and... decals!

To that end, I guess I'm assuming that one should use decals for the window graphics. Can anyone make any suggestions on the best way to do this? Maybe the best outlet to purchase printable decal sheets?

-CPM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

look for clear address labels at your local office supply store

I know that Avery makes a couple of different sizes ranging from return labels to big 4x6 stickers

Rick
  3. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Hey CPM. I think that is a beautiful build!! I'd like to see more when you get the wheels on. :)
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey Crazy! Beautiful work, just beautiful!
    Very hard to believe this is only your second build. It looks fantastic!
    What did you print the parts on to get such a glossy finish or did you spray it with something?
    One more question; What did you use for the windows? They seem to be bowed outward slightly and that gives it a much more realistic look.

Looking forward to more updates, keep up the awesome work!

Russell
  5. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very impressive! Looking forward to the final pics!

Chris
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That is a good looking automobile.
    One good thing about building WRC autos is that if you mess up it just makes it look more realistic considering the way those guys drive those cars.:grin:
  7. azraf_othman

azraf_othman New Member

8. sonyericsson

sonyericsson New Member

Anyone Know where I can get either to buy or free, a Skoda Fabia or Octavia WRC in similar scale to this scooby.
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

only ones i know of are 1:32 scale cars from PK Graphica, Joseph used to carry them

I know of a couple of rally cars in 1:100 scale

Rick
  10. imavingalaughaswell

imavingalaughaswell Member

11. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

The manner in which you present this model is very humble.

I feel it deserves CELEBRATION!!!:grin::):wink:8):roll:

It is as good as anything I have seen here...WELCOME!
  12. Crazy Potashman

Crazy Potashman Member

Amazyah, (et al.) THANKS for the comments! A little bit more background:
    I used about 80 lb (I think) glossy stock which I had laser parinted at the local Staples. I'm happy with the finish for the generally crisp colors and edges, but on the other hand some large solid regions show evidence of each print pass. I think I'd get better solid color results with a good ink jet, but my experience with my first build (Yamaha V-Max on 110 lb card stock) gave me a bad taste for printing with ink. It was fairly easy to rub off the ink with even just a little handling.
    I think in the future, for these types of models I will stick with a decent weight gloss for exterior panels and use matte photo paper for tires, interiors, etc (as is suggested for the DBR-9 - possible next project).
    I guess this brings me to some questions:
    Does anyone have a tried and true printer/ink/paper combo that gives good color results that is resistant to smudging?
    How about advantages/disadvantages of using glossy stock rather than clearcoating regular cardstock?
    One disadvantage I have heard is that glossy stock tends to be harder to glue, but I found that (at least with this particular project, which is very well designed) I had few glue issues. I use Scotch brand Scrapbooker's Glue for paper-to-paper, and Zip Dry Paper Glue for paper-to-transparency. The Scotch works great; the Zip Dry ok, but it's the only thing I have found that adhered to transparencies and didn't dry in .35 sec.
    Almost forgot about the question of the windows bowing... that must be an illusion (my camera is not the best), but I did find that the transparencies (regular printable overhead projector type) allowed a nice gentle realistic curve.
    I have so many more questions... I think the responsible thing to do is search the forum and see if they've already been answered. I have a good feeling about it...
    Farewell!
    -CPM
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Super build so far!

I use an epson inkjet printer with bright white cardstock. I have NEVER had trouble with smudging. You can use a sealer from walmart or whatnot to seal the paper after you print. That should take care of any smudge issues :) You can also use glossy for glossy parts and matte for stuff yo udont want shiny :) though cars look much better shiny for sure!
    Chris
  14. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Welcome aboard Crazy man! I'm sure you'll love it here.

I think you'll find everyone has their own favourite combo's, but I've found that using a sealer is the best thing to prevent smudging. I use Krylon's Workable Fixative. So far all of my models have been done on regular cardstock. I've never clear-coated a model, and the only time I tried glossy paper I hated the results (in fact I threw it out part way through the build). I'm starting to seriously consider trying one with clearcoat now though.

Look forward to hearing about your experiences.

SJ
  15. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Beautiful model.

I use an Epson R2400 which has the Epson K3 ink. It's supposed to be the best for archival quality. I prefer uncoated paper because paper coatings tend to be fragil. I then spray with spray acrylic (Krylon Crystalclear). I prefer a matt finish though, so I get different results than you are after.

I like how clean your windows came out. I'll have to try Zip-dry.
  16. Crazy Potashman

Crazy Potashman Member

For all intents and purposes, it's done. I have not applied window decals yet, but at this point... that's ok with me. I've uploaded pics to my gallery:
    http://www.cardmodels.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=97

The light and my camera are not very good, so the quality could be better. Maybe that will be my next project, to learn proper photographic technique... or maybe I'll just build the Yamaha MT-01 instead.

By the way, I made the base out of cardstock, sandpaper, and a stock image of wood grain printed on glossy photo paper. I'm almost more proud of that than the car... Maybe not.

Either way, I hope you enjoy!

-CPM
  17. Crazy Potashman

Crazy Potashman Member

For all intents and purposes, it's done. I have not applied window decals yet, but at this point... that's ok with me. I've uploaded pics to my gallery:
    http://www.cardmodels.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=97

The light and my camera are not very good, so the quality could be better. Maybe that will be my next project, to learn proper photographic technique... or maybe I'll just build the Yamaha MT-01 instead.

By the way, I made the base out of cardstock, sandpaper, and a stock image of wood grain printed on glossy photo paper. I'm almost more proud of that than the car... Maybe not.

Either way, I hope you enjoy!

-CPM
  18. Clashster

Clashster Member

They both look great, CPM! gotta say that car is pretty awesome, and although I like the display method... Great job!

Chris
  19. Clashster

Clashster Member

They both look great, CPM! gotta say that car is pretty awesome, and although I like the display method... Great job!

Chris