2004 Subaru Impreza WRC

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by cmags, Apr 19, 2009.

1. cmags

cmags Guest

Next up in my long to-build list is one of my all time favorite cars, the 2004 Subaru Impreza in WRC colors. I drive an '05 Impreza (same body style, but I drive the wagon), so this is close to home.

I printed this out a while ago but was intimidated in my cardmodel n00bness. I instead opted for the far less accurate version shown here (which incidentally was my "first" model since I picked up this hobby again):

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm far more confident now so I began the more accurate/detailed version tonight. When I printed it, I only had 110lb stock available and at the scale I used (approx 1:32), I think it's a bit too thick. But we'll see how far I get before running into issues. Some of the pieces are likely to be tricky, but nothing a bit of tab removal and edge gluing shouldn't be able to fix.

So without further ado, here's the beginning process:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. David H

David H Member

A good start!

D
  3. cmags

cmags Guest

Thanks!

So now I know that this is the wrong paper to use for this model - some of the pieces are having the tendency to de-laminate (guess this card is two laminated pieces - not good). But I've come this far I'm going to finish! I'll use better card when I tackle the '05 model which is as much more detailed than this as this one is compared to my '03 in the first post. But if I keep on pushing my limits, I'll end up with a spectacular Impreza model, eventually. ;)

So here's the next shots in the build:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At this point I realized that I missed a part - the FMIC (front mount inter-cooler) in the lower grill should be inset. So a little careful cosmetic surgery, and there - that's better:

[​IMG]

And one gratuitous shot of the inside showing all the ugly construction. Check the scale cube - this is pretty difficult at this scale with delaminating 110lb stock! sign1

[​IMG]

More to come soon!
  4. cmags

cmags Guest

It starting to really look like a rally car now... :) Got the single-piece trunklid and window frames done, then the rear fenders, tail lights, front/rear windshield, and roof:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much left - rear bumper, chassis (which isn't detailed), and wheels (very simple). Should be done tomorrow (unless I decide to re-do the chassis and add graphics. We'll see.
  5. bf109

bf109 Member

looks great cmags, but nearly all your models do
  6. cmags

cmags Guest

Ok, not as much progress as I thought I'd make on this. It was gorgeous out yesterday, and I had the day off from work so I spent my time working on my 1:1 Impreza. ;) She got a bath inside and out, and new shiny wheels and tires. :thumb: It seems that as the weather is getting nicer, I'm realizing how much of a winter-time hobby cardmodeling is.

Anyway, here's the Impreza with the rear bumper added. I had to cut the lip off from the license plate at this scale, then create my own tabs as I did with the front bumper. Worked pretty well IMHO. So this nearly completes the body - just details left like the wing, the camera cowling up top, mirrors and exhaust. I have to double check the WRC version of the car, but I think the exhaust is on the wrong side. (It's definitely opposite the US version of the car.)

Less blab, more pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. zealousy

zealousy Member

Good Stuff Cmags..Any progress? or is the weather spoiling you? LOL :D I love that site! I put off building the 2006 Impreza about a year ago cos I thought I needed a bit more skill to take it on. And only now I managed to pull it off...Hope you don't mind me showing it off here ;)

Attached Files:

8. David H

David H Member

Nice wheels! I'm gonna have o get me one of those!

D
  9. zealousy

zealousy Member

:)

Attached Files:

10. cmags

cmags Guest

Hey great work on that '06 Impreza! I plan to do the advanced '05 model with the interior like yours sometime soon. I'm just slowly working my way towards that level. I'm still finding myself torn between doing card modeling as a light distraction vs. a serious hobby making realistic scale replicas.

So yes, I have been quite distracted by the beautiful weather the past few days, but I did finally finish the model. Here's the final pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some detail shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. David H

David H Member

12. zealousy

zealousy Member

Great work Cmags...especially on that scale :O...Mine was 1:18 only..and it sits well with my other cars :) I really hope you will pick this as a main hobby. Would love to see your work. I've only been building paper models for a little over a year now. SO I'm pretty new at this, but I always picked up the more detailed models out there (Most of them were Yamaha kits, including the MT-1) And I'm really really happy with my little collection..Definitely worth the effort. As a matter of fact, this hobby is the best thing I''ve picked up since reading!!! So yeah I would absolutely recommend it :) Good luck and of course, congratulations on a neat build!