2001 ASO USSC Discovery One

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I am well pleased at the end result............. Worth the effort....

Now only 2 sets to go .....(Around 44 individual modules left...... :eek:)

Watcha think ???

IMG-20120612-00535.jpg
IMG-20120612-00536.jpg
IMG-20120612-00537.jpg

It is starting to look familiar at last .....

IMG-20120612-00541.jpg
IMG-20120612-00544.jpg

I think we can safely call that linear ...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Will keep you posted as I progress further. Might give myself a break from the modules for a liitle while and build an engine or something else, to relieve the boredom of building the modules a bit ........

See ya :wave:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is coming together quite nicely.
I like your technique of aligning all of the modules on the spine.
It looks really good.

dnalor

Looks great...
This i would never do.
all those little boxes...over en over again..
i would go mad..
And my problem ( i think) the first box would be terrible starting probs...the middle box would be great...and the last box because i've got tired of it very bad. :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Looks great...
This i would never do.
all those little boxes...over en over again..
i would go mad..
And my problem ( i think) the first box would be terrible starting probs...the middle box would be great...and the last box because i've got tired of it very bad. :)

I understand your point exactly!!!!
The problem of deterioating build quality is something I tried to avoid by making the little jig to keep the modules consistant.
But, even so, it is a loooooooooooong drawn out process.
It is just a case of perservering........

I really want to get the spine and all its modules completed, before I start on other parts, because I dont want to have the rest of the model finished and have to go back and finish the spine... That will not do!!!!!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
You're insane, you know that?

Certifiable. I know, because I started this build once... it's not for the faint of heart.

You, sir... are dedicated. And this is in serious contention for model of the month once it's finished.

You dont have to be insane to do this model, but it sure helps if you are!!!:p

And, I thank you for the compliment of Model of the Month, but judging by the amount of time it is taking to build this thing, that will be sometime near the end of 2013 ...... sign1

Z

Zathros

I am going to have to rent this movie and watch it on the "big screen" (I have an LCD Projector and a 100" pull down screen). The scale of these ships is hard to realize on a small screen, but your photographic skills convey it well. Your build thread makes me want to watch the movie again. Great! :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I am going to have to rent this movie and watch it on the "big screen" (I have an LCD Projector and a 100" pull down screen). The scale of these ships is hard to realize on a small screen, but your photographic skills convey it well. Your build thread makes me want to watch the movie again. Great! :)

When this thing is eventually finished, I want to try and video the model in such a way that it replicates the opening sequence when you first see the Discovery in the movie..

I think I am gonna mount my video camera on a model railway bogey and tracks so that I can run it slowly along the length of the model...... A bit like this clip....

http://youtu.be/ldLPFF6tuVM

But, that is still a long way off yet!

:wave:

[YOUTUBE]ldLPFF6tuVM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Daleen

Hey Son.You are doing really well (even if the good lady got fed up) Good support from other members, good video

kevo

I started building this great model but had some trouble. but really like the way you are building yours. So I will be following this link with great interest to see how you over come the problems I had, then steal your ideas, because I love the great ideas you have had up till now. thank you. ps your model is looking fantastic.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Collection

I saw this on the net.
I have all the paper models of the models in that display, except for the space suit figure.
Does anybody know of one around ?? A space suited David Bowman or the like ???

Would love to find one........

ocssdisplay.jpg

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Spine Modules Stage 2

The second set of spine modules has been completed.

The modules have been 'jigged' up, in the same way as the first set, for mounting.

I was really glad I made the earlier decision not to finally glue the earlier completed antenna module assembly to the spine, otherwise I would of run into a big problem when it came to mounting the second set of modules. Because the main module set up is trihedral, and the antenna array module is quadric, the edges of the antenna modules would not allow the spine to be layed flat against the second set of modules because it would foul the jig.
So, to overcome the problem, it was just a case of gently twisting the antenna module assembly around the spine, so that the lower module lines up with the plane of the new module set.......

Does that make sense :confused: ..

A picture speaks a million words.... Note that the modules on the left side are actually the bottom modules. The new set is the port side. So you can see the antenna array module assembly twisted around to meet the port side plane.....

IMG-20120617-00546.jpg

The nuts were given a blob of silicone each, and as before, the spine was carefully lowered into position.

It is now curing/drying, and hope to be able to upload some photos later this evening.

Hope the second set turns out true and linear as before.......
We'll find out later........ :eek:ops:

IMG-20120617-00547.jpg

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Result!!

Success! I needn't of worried.
I'm pleased! :mrgreen:

IMG-20120617-00564.jpg

IMG-20120617-00563.jpg

IMG-20120617-00553.jpg

A slight touch up required. The twin set of lower modules in the middle of the picture is not quite right. The front module missed the blob of silicon on the center nut. Will wait till all is dry and will then twist (silicon is very flexible!) and glue it into its correct position.

IMG-20120617-00548.jpg

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Bugs....

I've been looking and looking.....
Something is bugging me ...
Something isn't right........

I'm not quite sure yet what it is, something isn't sitting right to the eye.....:confused:

The modules do not seem compact enough to the spine.......
It might be my imagination....

Gonna do some tests.....
If it turns out to be those damn nuts ........:curse:

Will come back on this soon.......:eek:ops:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Is it just me, or is this percieved gap, between the red lines in the picture, seem a bit much in comparison to the movie clip in the earlier post........???

IMG-20120617-00553.jpg

I'm sure it's because of the nuts...... wall1