2001 ASO USSC Discovery One

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I would try and find Kevlar thread. Stuff as thin as stitching thread would be strong enough, and would be almost invisible. This stuff is as thin as regular stitching thread. You can paint it, but it also can be found in many colors.

Link: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee...e=&network=g&gclid=CKKLoarmu8cCFYMWHwodRI8Egw

ee80_kevlar_survival_cord.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would have suggested a zealot thread which would be strong enough to hold 24.000 fans - oh, you have one already..! ;)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
My apologies for the long delay in getting this project completed. :(

It has been a case of waiting for all my plans to come together. Or, not.

It now seems that the wait for the offered help for the display case lighting system was in vain, and is no longer forthcoming. :meh:
So, that means a visit to the local electronic shop, (where the owner is very helpful and knows his stuff,) and discuss LED sorts, angles of light spread, colour, control systems for dimming, heat dissipation, etc.....
Then I have to adapt my ideas and find a way to make the lighting sources invisible to the viewer of the model. I'm thinking of rebating the boards of the case, at various angles, close the 'glass', and fitting the LED modules in these. I may have to make a few shrouds here and there.
I have a pile of black, stiff card for this job. (I think it is exactly the same type of stuff that @Revell-Fan used in his beautiful Buck Rogers Poster Gun build.

In the meantime, I have upset the neighbours :sticktongue: and drilled out the three holes I need for the supports for the display case. Those walls are pre-cast concrete and are f****** hard! Drilling out with a 18mm drill took some effort, even when drilling out from 8mm in steps up to 18mm.
But, anyway, the worst is done. I now need to make final adjustments and that is then ready. I used a capped-off chromed tube that slides snuggly over the threaded rod, and that finishes them off nicely. And they are nice and strong too.:)

General_475.JPG General_476.JPG General_477.JPG

And a very BIG shout-out goes to @Revell-Fan here! :bowdown:Claphands:Drinks:
Earlier I mentioned, I was not happy with the position of the moon in the backdrop. So, I tried to edit it myself, and failed miserably.
So, I asked R-F if I could borrow his GIMP skills........ And R-F being R-F, he happily took on the task. I got an email from him yesterday, with this little present inside..... :)

General_478.JPG

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH, R-F! YOU HAVE HELPED ME OUT BIG TIME!!!! :bowdown::bowdown::Bravo:
(Beers are on me, when you come to visit..... :biggrin::Drinks:)

So, the next step is to now remove the old backdrop and replace it with the one above.:)

Problem is, I have to get it printed first, and that is going to cost money. My finances are at a minimum at the moment, for one reason or another. So, the printing and purchasing of the electronics, will unfortunately have to wait a while.:grumpy::sadno:

But, we WILL get there. Promise! :yesyes:

:wave:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You are welcome! :)

Just take your time. When I began work on the Colonial Helmet I had absolutely nothing to work with - except for the CG data and my trusted 160gsm paper. During the course of the project all the tiny bits and pieces came together from various sources; first the foam from the DIY shop that claimed to have none at their disposal (yep, it was THE SAME one that made a "hose" from a "tube"!), then the cardboard and last the LED strips. If I had rushed anything I surely would have regretted it because I got all the materials I needed without a hassle in a couple of months. :)

Alright for the beer, let's hope you have some of THESE ..!

51b570333bf8ffd576698a822a698df7.jpg

source: http://d.justpo.st/media/images/2013/03/51b570333bf8ffd576698a822a698df7.jpg

:D ;)

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I don't drink, well, essentially, I'm on so many Narcotics I shouldn't, so when Ido, I drink only light stuff, like some good ole Tennessee Sipping Whiskey, or Royal Crown. That way, you can drink only 5 shots, and not worry that you have drunk too much. Where as drinking beer, people drink whole cans of that stuff. :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I think you have done a great job on this and a tribute to the great movie! any other 2001 stuff on the bench? like a diorama of the pod or something?

DanBKing

Dan the Man
@spaceagent-9 Thanks Jim!
It was all the 2001 models from UHU02 that got me into paper modelling in the first place, and inevitably what bought me here to ZEALOT!:)

It is my intention to build ALL of the paper models from 2001, before my 'Metabolic processes become history! Before I've kicked the bucket, and shuffled off my mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible!!' ( ~ Monty Python):)

But, of course, getting waylaid by dragons and shiny chromed drones and others things, may slow the process down a little .... ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Which could prove to be an advantage...You could tell yourself, hey, there's still this one model that has to be built, before you can be "relieved from duty" / called by a higher power. That way you could stall for some extra time on this planet..! ;)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
And speaking of stalling .........

I have just returned from the electronics shop..........

They are on vacation and the shop is closed until 14 September ............ :headbange:

Oh well, everybody has got to have a holiday at some point, I guess!

But, it just sets my plans back another week or so ........ But, yeah, $4|t happens ......

Ken Spriggs

You are welcome! :)

Just take your time. When I began work on the Colonial Helmet I had absolutely nothing to work with - except for the CG data and my trusted 160gsm paper. During the course of the project all the tiny bits and pieces came together from various sources; first the foam from the DIY shop that claimed to have none at their disposal (yep, it was THE SAME one that made a "hose" from a "tube"!), then the cardboard and last the LED strips. If I had rushed anything I surely would have regretted it because I got all the materials I needed without a hassle in a couple of months. :)

Alright for the beer, let's hope you have some of THESE ..!

51b570333bf8ffd576698a822a698df7.jpg

source: http://d.justpo.st/media/images/2013/03/51b570333bf8ffd576698a822a698df7.jpg

:D ;)
That's awesome, now THATS what I call a beer!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I'm still here ....... ;)

The required electronics have been purchased today. :)
The new backdrop has been ordered at the printers, and should be ready in the middle of next week. :)
Tomorrow, I am taking the display case down from the wall, where it has been hanging steadfast for about a week and a half now. :)
This coming weekend, I am going to start experimenting with the lighting. :)

This journey is nearly over ........... :animated:

P.S: I have been admonished again by HAL, because even though he appreciates, that I have "AT LAST and FINALLY", constructed his home, the on going black-out and lack of power, is starting to wear his patience thin............ His constant complaints about warm beer and no hot water for tea in the morning, are starting to get on my nerves too...... :(

But, I have to agree with him, this project has been going on a long time, and I DO feel bad about it. I have tried to explain and apologise on many occasion to him, but the only response I get back from him lately is : :finger:

I am getting the feeling also, that he is upset and unsettled about something else too...... The other day I caught HAL and his mate whispering together and HAL kept looking over his shoulder at me with a knowing smirk on his face.. :shifty:

General_582.JPG

Other comments from him too, like : "When are you going to polish the silver ?" and "What do you see when you look in the shiny chrome mirror ?" and "You don't get that glint in your eye when you look at me" are rather unsettling.
I'm getting the feeling he is jealous over something........ I'm not sure what though ..........

General_584.JPG General_583.JPG

He does worry me when he is in this mood ........

Ref 1: Dave....? Are you awake.....? Dave... ?

Ref 2: "Chrome; The final insult."

Last edited: