Let's get back to business, folks! :)

Reactions: zathros

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
There are good leaks, and bad leaks ~ Anthony Scaramucci

This has been a bloody headache ........... :hammerhead:

I decided to use LED strip for the lighting of the interior consoles.
My reasoning for use: Consistency and uniformity of LED spacing, colour and lumens; minimal soldering; and being a flat tape, easily workable in narrow spaces.......
A perfect combination!
Apart from the 'easily workable' part ........!

I made carrier trays, from stiff black card, around the perimeter of the console assembly, to accommodate the LED strips for mounting.

IMG-20180320-03124.jpg

Where the nightmare began, was my choice of LED strip....... It was a left over section from my Discovery build, just enough in length for my needs.
The backing strip was very stiff and unforgiving, which required complex bends and twists to follow the contour of the panels.

IMG-20180320-03126.jpg

This created unwanted stress on the various joints of the paper sub-assembly, and pulled them apart.
It was a repetitious, vicious circle of getting one section in good adjustment, moving on to the next section and getting it right, which caused the first section joints to pop apart, so back to section 1, then 2, then 3, then 2 again, then 3, then 4, then 1 & 2, then,...... etc.... etc ...... etc.....

Well, after lots of beers and other relaxing organics, I got the lighting fitted and ready for a light-leak test.
I need to perform this test before I seal up the surrounding light baffles.......

I used a new 9V battery, so that the resulting emitted light was strong and bright, allowing me to see the light leaks better. (The finished lighting for the model, will be dimmed considerably)

These are the photos I used for my 'light-leak' test, and as can be clearly seen, I have still a bit of work to do ........ But, I like the way it's going, so far .......

20180430_210524.jpg 20180430_210533.jpg 20180430_210542.jpg 20180430_210552.jpg 20180430_210750.jpg

Laters......... :)

:wave:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There are good leaks, and bad leaks ~ Anthony Scaramucci

This has been a bloody headache ........... :hammerhead:

I decided to use LED strip for the lighting of the interior consoles.
My reasoning for use: Consistency and uniformity of LED spacing, colour and lumens; minimal soldering; and being a flat tape, easily workable in narrow spaces.......
A perfect combination!
Apart from the 'easily workable' part ........!

I made carrier trays, from stiff black card, around the perimeter of the console assembly, to accommodate the LED strips for mounting.

View attachment 164812

Where the nightmare began, was my choice of LED strip....... It was a left over section from my Discovery build, just enough in length for my needs.
The backing strip was very stiff and unforgiving, which required complex bends and twists to follow the contour of the panels.

View attachment 164805

This created unwanted stress on the various joints of the paper sub-assembly, and pulled them apart.
It was a repetitious, vicious circle of getting one section in good adjustment, moving on to the next section and getting it right, which caused the first section joints to pop apart, so back to section 1, then 2, then 3, then 2 again, then 3, then 4, then 1 & 2, then,...... etc.... etc ...... etc.....

Well, after lots of beers and other relaxing organics, I got the lighting fitted and ready for a light-leak test.
I need to perform this test before I seal up the surrounding light baffles.......

I used a new 9V battery, so that the resulting emitted light was strong and bright, allowing me to see the light leaks better. (The finished lighting for the model, will be dimmed considerably)

These are the photos I used for my 'light-leak' test, and as can be clearly seen, I have still a bit of work to do ........ But, I like the way it's going, so far .......

View attachment 164806 View attachment 164807 View attachment 164808 View attachment 164809 View attachment 164810

Laters......... :)

:wave:

Only you could complain about that. It looks fantastic, and nobody else carries the credentials to bitch!

Reactions: DanBKing

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Thank you for the kind comments everyone. thumbsup

UHU's models are a perfect example of paper engineering precision, and the cutting, folding and gluing of his models needs to respect that.
However, the templates, in some cases, could be improved upon.

The Discovery model is stunning, but it has a large flaw...... The cockpit windows on the model are too high/wide, making it look like it is gawking........

12604852_1555250641432118_1442257851055480453_o.jpg 9274385380_b1810b442e_b.jpg

The model of the subject of this thread, is one of his first designs, a scaled up, detailed version, with interior, of his first ever 2001 ASO paper model.
Again, it is a beautiful model, but UHU's skills have grown to epic proportions since then, and the template of this model is dated and needs to be updated/improved.
A re-work of the part layout of the outer shell, with regards to the uniformity of the 'petal' design, would be a good place to begin, to give a smoother, more uniform surface over all.

But then UHU took his skills to another level in the 2001 series, when he created Station V......
My first build attempt of it, did not end well ..... But, that story is for another thread.... ;)

13718694_1618662141757634_4348403423533907190_n (1).jpg 13734976_1619149788375536_6975566043928263154_o.jpg

My goal, as I have mentioned before, is to build a paper model of every major ship from the film 2001 ASO. As UHU has the ONLY comprehensive collection of this subject, I obviously have become an avid fan of his models. It was his Discovery model that actually got me into paper modelling in the first place, and of course finding ZEALOT!

UHU's templates provide a very detailed, textured and precision model. Using a bit of imagination, re-modelling of some template flaws, greebling, etc, the models can be improved upon immensely.
It just depends on how far you wanna go ....! ;)

I am going to go 'all in' with this current model, as I think you have already gathered...... :) ;)
It needs to compliment the Discovery, as it does in the film. It is an integral part of the end of the story......

The model build itself, is only half of it.......

How to display the model, is the other half........ ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The Discovery model is stunning, but it has a large flaw...... The cockpit windows on the model are too high/wide, making it look like it is gawking........
Easy fix by prolonging the "petals" or adding some paper strips.

It was his Discovery model that actually got me into paper modelling in the first place, and of course finding ZEALOT!;)
:King::King::King:

But then UHU took his skills to another level in the 2001 series, when he created Station V......
My first build attempt of it, did not end well ..... But, that story is for another thread.... ;)
You should have used a CUTTI for protection..! ;) :D

Reactions: DanBKing

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I like the Cat display option. You would have only Nano seconds to take your pics though. I imagine a giant Cat would do more damage than Mothra. Just by whizzing on what it idn't like, or kneading with it's claws, forget about the prancing, and batting up in the air of various creatures, like Elephants. Ever see a Cat eat a mouse, the definition of "no mercy". Mothra was slow compared to a giant Cat, which would jump up and eat Mothra on a fly by!!! :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
“The inner light shall never cease to burn.” ~ Lailah Gifty Akita

Damn! It has taken a long time to get to this stage. A bit here and a bit there and we get there in the end though.

I completed sealing up the 'light boxes' for the instrument consoles and fixed any light leaks with black silicone.

20180513_135854.JPG

The two joysticks were assembled and attached to the console. I shortened the supplied mounting tubes a bit as they looked too high.
Only one control pod for the waldoes was supplied. As there are two waldoes to control, I assumed there would be two control pods, so I added another one.
The seat I really didn't like and modified it a bit. I removed the sides of the chair, as in my eyes, it would be almost impossible for the pilot to get into the chair with sides.
Also the chair looked horrible just stuck to the floor and was way too low. I thickened up the base of the chair and made a pedestal to raise it up and this also gives the impression that the chair can rotate for easier ingress and egress.

20180625_222911.JPG 20180625_223132.JPG 20180625_223200.JPG

The parts for the interior roof were added next...

20180619_230934.JPG 20180621_210531.JPG

I made light boxes from black card, lined with aluminium foil.

20180621_210513.JPG

The lighting strips were added. This made the roof dome look like an electrode brain cap from an old horror sci-fi movie ......

20180627_093033_010.JPG

I then attached the roof to the interior. I attached it first to the window opening and with a bit of trimming here and there, I fitted the rest.
I still need to do a bit of tweaking and twisting, but it looks ok.

20180627_121856.JPG

And then all that was left, was to test the lighting...........
Beauty pics in the next post........