2001 ASO. Uhu02's EVA Pod by DanBKing

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Haha. It is all about getting your balls as smooth as possible. ..... Not easy to do in paper....... But, there again, for the dirty minded among us........

Hemostats :)

Reactions: DanBKing

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There's a really funny joke in Spanish that basically tells of a poor man selling his last basket of eggs, he trips and falls down on them, breaking his now dead chicken's last batch. A woman was standing near and she hears him say: "Hay, que lastima, voy a colgarme!! The women responded "Por los juevos?" The man replied, "No! Por el cuello!!". :smoker:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Wow!! That really looks great! Makes the ship "Pop". :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Looks great; the detail adds a lot.

You should look into a Japanese book punch, if you don't have one already.

Thanks!
I do not have a Japanese book punch.
I use normal (sharpend) metal punches from 2.5mm up to 25mm and also a rotary leather punch tool. I'm limited to a minimum of 2mm punch size. I could use smaller though.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
A Watched Pot Never Boils. ~ Poor Richard (aka. Benjamin Franklin)

Sorry for the long delay with updating this thread. I wish I could find more time for this hobby...... :(

The project is progressing though.....

The front half of the outer shell has been finalized with all its protrusions and recesses.
As I water-formed and assembled the shell without cutting out any holes where needed, these were cut out using one of the ball halves as a 'cutting mat', trying not to cut too deep into the plastic surface.
Cutting out the holes after shaping and assembly, maintains the uniform integrity of the surface of the water-formed half-sphere.
The recessed window section was rolled into shape on the back of a mouse-mat with a 5 mm wooden dowel, making sure that the dowel lined up parallel with the printed radial lines while shaping.
A bit of raised detail was added here and there too......

20180411_201240.jpg 20180411_201408.jpg

To make HAL's 'eye', I used a high intensity, red 5mm LED. I masked the wire legs and sprayed the LED with 4 coats of gloss black paint. Once dry, I used some 600 grit sandpaper and just 'tipped' the black paint off of the tip of the LED. The LED was then glued to the back of the front panel, with just the tip protruding. The effect is not perfect, but, close ...

20180411_201716.jpg

The rear half of the sphere was finished off too. However, there were two issues here that bugged me and needed rectifying ........ ;)

There is one grab-handle recess that is not included in the template, but was only represented by two black printed blobs instead. This grab-handle is to left of the door, which you can see clearly in the studio shots below, including Dave using it, to aid getting into the pod.
IMG-20180221-03072.jpg Pod004.jpg dave_enters_pod.jpg
I scratch-built this recess and also added various recessed and raised panels and parts to better detail the rear.
20180411_202538.jpg

The louvred assembly above the door is a frustrating piece of work. I built it twice, and I am still not happy with it. When attaching the stupidly thin strip of the leading edge of the louvre assembly, (part 76), I found it was better to leave it attached to a larger piece of card, glue it to the leading edge and then cut the extra card away with curved scissors, once the glue had dried.
IMG-20180304-03117.jpg IMG-20180304-03115.jpg

More --->

Last edited:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
<--- Continued ......

The louvered section directly above the door on the model, does not match the studio model, which was the second thing that bugged me which I modified ;)
The 'stepped' version of the model (ringed in red in the first pic of the instructions) compared to the studio set 'model'... The bottom panel of the louvre falls seamlessly to the door on the studio model.

Pod004.jpg 2001-32.jpg

I modified the last louvre section to match.

IMG-20180304-03114.jpg

The louvre and door parts were finalized, ready for final assembly.....

20180411_202127.jpg

I tacked the two sphere halves together with tape, tacked the door into place also with tape and placed the assembly into the chassis to see how it all looks. The louvre assembly is not glued yet and the shape of it will be bettered once it is ......

But the model is taking on a familiar form now ............

20180411_203215.jpg 20180411_203057.jpg

Still a hell of a lot of work to do yet........ But, it's getting there ...

See you when I see you ...... :wave:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The larger than life photos you posted showed outstanding craftsmanship. Few would have the courage to post such large clear pictures of seams, even fewer would look so perfect, especially being that they are on a Spherical surface!!! Outstanding!!:Bravo:

Reactions: DanBKing

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
I was expecting updates from this thread being sure they would have been amazing... I wasn't disappointed at all!
Everytime I look at this model I cannot believe to the perfection of its spherical surfaces...
Can't wait to see inside shoots with lights!

Wonderful work so far Dan!