20-Foot Ribbeds

rockislandmike

As I model in the era where 20-footers would have been even more dominant than 48's, I've been trying to develop 20-footers using cardstock.

My most recent draft is below; I'll tell you, those ribs are not easy to get across in cardstock. Although the containers do look better in person than in the photos.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to espouse some wisdom.

hanjin20.jpg

This is a farther back view, and also shows a 48-foot container I designed today for a fellow modeller's intermodal company (JENSON).

jenson.jpg

SLSF Freak

Those are pretty great looking - I need to get a regular ink jet so I can play around with this idea (my old one went kaput and now I only have the ALPS which I use strictly for decal work)

To get those ribs to stand out, your best bet is going with four colors: 1) Your base color 2&3) two highlight colors to define the edges of your ribs and 4) a shadow color for the recesssed portions of your container.

I made an example that illustrates various stages of detail. Moving left to right you have a two color method (edge color and base color), in the middle are three colors (base, and two highlight "edge" colors) and finally on the right you have the four colors.

Not sure what graphics program you're using - some would make doing this real easy, especially if you can use layers w/transparent settings, others would take a little more effort (like "MS Paint") Hope this helps...

ribbed.jpg

Regards, Mike

jmarksbery

Here is a quickie I did just to show you if you do the ribbs seperately and do just a slight shadow on them they will show great on the print and in photos. Jim:rolleyes:

Attachments

• hanjin.jpg
    hanjin.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 77