2-Truck Shay at Duncan BC

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
I happened to be out west on Vancouver Island on November 22 in the pouring rain when I came across the neatest little 2-truck Shay I've ever seen (not that I've seen a lot of Shays). Wouldn't it be nice to have something like this in your backyard?

Attachments

• shaya1.jpg
    shaya1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 147

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Bloedel, Stewart and Welch (BS&W) bought this locomotive and had it working at Myrtle point. Later, it was acquired by Great Central Sawmills at Great Central Lake near Port Alberni. BS&W took over the Great Central Sawmills company and #1 was once again owned by them. #1 went through another merger when BS&W became MacMillan Bloedel. In 1953, Gerry Wellburn acquired the locomotive from M&B and made it part of his collection at the British Columbia Forest Museum (now known as The British Columbia Forest Discovery Center) in Duncan. It is on display at the entrance of the center greeting visitors and railfans.

Attachments

• shaya3.jpg
    shaya3.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 184

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
But when I got back home, the two Roundhouse Shays in stock had been sold. And they were at such a good price! That'll teach me not to trust my instincts! Like my granny said, "If it feels good, do it!" I shoulda bought one of those Shays.

Attachments

• shaya5.jpg
    shaya5.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 144

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Oops, I forgot to get a good photo of that log truck. It's simply two trucks connected together with a wooden beam. I imagine in the early days, they didn't even use the wooden beam. Just load the logs between the two trucks, cinch the load down, and get the load outa here.

Imagine the feeling of bringing a load of logs down the side of the mountain - and no air brakes!?

(Maybe I should have posted these photos at the Logging Forum?)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
A neat find railwaybob. I saw some of these locos at a logging museum near Duncan.
Let me know if you want this thread to be moved to the logging forum and I will do it for you.

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
I posted a link at the logging group so they should find their way here.

The museum was closed for the weekend. If you follow the links on one of the top quotes, you'll see that there's a whole bunch of logging locos - Climax, Heisler and some more Shays.

Running the photo through my PaintShop Pro graphics software before I posted the photo helped to "dampen" the effect of the rain. It was pouring cats and dogs that day!

Gotta make sure I make it back to Vancouver Island some day!