2 rail O scale flatcar

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Ray Marinaccio, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I got this car in a box lot.
    I plan to restore it and was wondering who made it and if it was a kit or built from scratch.
    It's wood with metal sides and ends and has a nice set of sprung trucks.

Attached Files:

2. Ray Marinaccio

Here's a closer photo of one of the trucks.

Attached Files:

3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Neat car Ray. Are the sides stamped metal or cast? They look stamped to me in the second photo. Also can you tell what kind of metal they are? There were some kits offered after WWII but IIRC they had cast sides. Walthers may have offered a stamped tin plate kit. The ends look comercial and the trucks look like Athearn O scale trucks. Are they metal or plastic?

Greg
  4. Ray Marinaccio

Hi Greg,
    The sides are stamped tin.
    The trucks are cast metal also.
    I think that after I restore this one I may try to copy it and build a few more. I will have to hunt around for some more trucks and couplers.
    Thanks for the info.
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Ray,
    Are the couplers operating or dummy? I'm guessing they are metal and they may still be available, will have to look into who makes them now though. I've seen plastic versions that will mate with them. Also don't forget Kadee makes O scale couplers.

Weaver sells metal trucks with metal wheels, very nice trucks. Other trucks sold are Accurate O scale, Athearn and Weaver and are plastic. The Accurate O scale trucks do come with metal wheels, otherwise if you want metal wheels you will have to buy them and replace the plastic ones.

Greg
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Its really neat to find something like this in a box lot Ray.
  7. Ray Marinaccio

The couplers are dummies.
    I may go with the KDs so it will be compatible with what the other members of the club are running.
    I will have to look at the weaver trucks.
    I have worked with the Athearn plastic trucks, they went on an H&B 2-6-0. The bolsters were weak and cracked.
    I have a couple of Weaver cars that I have Lionel trucks on at the moment that will be changed to 2 rail.
    Robin, Ever since the RTR craze, the box lots keep getting better and better.

Attached Files:

8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Weaver offers Arch Bar, Bettendorf and roller bearing die cast trucks. All very good trucks and listed on their web page under parts and trucks of the products page. Nice job on the Athearn truck for the wipers.

Greg
  9. Ray Marinaccio

I checked out the Weaver trucks, they look great.
    The prices aren't that bad either.