2 Q's about switches & DCC

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Howdy,

got 2 questions I can't seem to find anything on.

I'm plannining on using Atlas Code 55 N-scale track on my layout. It looks like all the 55 switches are manual based, where as the code 80 has remote switches available. Can the code 55 switches be made remote? I can't find anything on this.
confused.gif

Before I go an purchase the track I wanna make sure this is doable (and not to difficult).

Question #2 is on DCC and power. I'm getting a Digitrax set with a DCS100 Command Station/Booster.

Now, the CS/Booster is what you connect to the track for power and all right?

If I'm corrent, how do you manage hooking up multiple feeder lines throughout the layout? Say you have layout with... I don't know, 25 feeders. How are they all connected to this single booster box? Some kind of breakout box, or just wires spliced into wires spliced into more?

Thanks,
Shaun

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Scratch Question #1. I'm gonna go ahead with the code 80 track since the turnouts are already ready for remote operation. Simplier the better, heh. :) 55 would be nice, but i can live with the 80.

But still would like some info on the DCC stuff on branching out power wires throughout the layout.

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Shaun,
You use a 'buss wire' which is normally a 14 or 16 gage wire, (one each red & black). These come out of the booster and travel under the layout, under the track is the best place, and then come back to the booster to complete the circuit. Then you attach feeder wires, 20 or 22 gage works pretty good, to each section of track. I use 1 pair per track section between rail joints, I don't like to rely on the rail joiners to supply power might seem like overkill but that's the way I do it. On turnouts you will need to attach more feeders. Here is a good link which goes into more detail:Wiring for DCC

2slim

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
nolatron said:
Ah. Makes sense with the single bus running under the whole layout that you just tap feeders into. I thought running a ton of cables back to a single booster seemed kinda odd :)

Thanks.
Don't forget reverse sections (loops etc) require isolation and a separate bus fed off an "auto reverser". Also depending on how big the layout (or complicated the track plan) you might want to have separate "power districts" run off electronic breakers. That way a short in one area dosen't shut down the whole layout. You can wire it as one big district, but I'd put in the insolated joiners and feed around them for now.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
The blue lines not part of the loop appear to be two legs of a wye which is another reversing situation. It dosen't necessarily need an auto reverser but does need special attention. I just laid about 175' of track for my lower level and plan to run feeders every 6' (actually at rail joints) but "Y" them at the end to get both tracks. My reverse loops have a lot of soldered joint rail on the curves so will not have to Y them there.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Code 55 turnouts use under table switch motors or manual throws.

I will be using code 55 when I get to laying track. I just finished retrofiting my rolling stock so it can run on code 40 or 55 rail.

It is still a while before I get to spiking track.

Now it is time for me to call it a day and turn off this one eyed monster. I've been looking at for better than 9 hours today.