2 engines at once

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
How bad is it? My son likes to take his Thomas and put him on the tracks to help out other engines. We are obviously running DC and reight now its juat an oval loop. So they're both being powered by one power pack.

What damage are we doing?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Running two locos on one single DC power pack won't hurt anything. It's equivalent to two motors being wired to a power source in a parallel circuit arrangement.

So don't worry, and have fun! :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you are dealing with the inexpensive power pack that comes with a typical train set, it may not have enough power to do the job and might burn out. In that case it isn't really a big loss. If you are running dc you want a good throttle anyway. You can pick up Bachmann Spectrum power pack or a MRC Tech 4 or whatever number they are up to for between $25.00-$50.00 depending on amount of power and the "bells and whistles." Good throttles will have circuit protection built in to keep your son from being able to overload the circuits. If you have one of the better throttles instead of the train set throttle, then it will have overload protection built in and he won't be able to hurt anything running two locomotives.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Make sure he watches the story where Thomas stays coupled to Gordon's express.

Shouldn't harm the locos unles one spins his wheels excessively. Some of mine are so incompatible that one doesn't run if the other is on the same track. I wouldn't allow it if the power pack is less than 1 amp.