2-6-6-2 Mallet Articulated

tt22cc

Jan 17, 2005
I have a model from United Scale. The box says Sierra RR. This one is built unlike the Arbour I have. Can anybody tell me about this models quality etc. I have had it in a display case for quite a while. Not sure when it was built but probably 80's or earlier.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
A pic would help a lot. Is it brass? Builtup kits have to be really well done and of fine quality and high initial desirabilty to be of any value, most folks prefer to build their own. There is also a number of people who collect the kits themselves, with no intention of assembling them. An example would be my Fine Scale Miniatures sawmill kit. Made in the early 70s, it retailed then for $33.95. Now, it is worth $150-180---as long as I leave it in its pristine, undisturbed state. The moment I open it up and start assembly, it loses its value nearly completely---unless---I source it out to a respected custom kit-builder. Then it would retain, even increase its value somewhat.

tt22cc

Jan 17, 2005
99% sure it is brass, very heavy, built by an expert and in great shape. I will try to get a pic up soon.

tt22cc

Jan 17, 2005
It is made in Japan. There are Japanese symbols on the box as well as the made in Japan on the bottom.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My quess w/o a pic is that you have a brass import. It wasn't a kit but was a fully assembled locomotive. Does the label look anything like this. If so, you have a nice loco there. Its value would be affected by the paint job. If it is factory original, it would be worth more than a custom painted one, even if that was done by a pro. It would then be based on whether it was prototypically accurate or if it was painted for a fantasy route.

Brass is the only true "investment" type model built. The loco below is a C&S 2-6-0 Mogul in HOn3. Originally released in the mid 1970s, it retailed at the time for $89.95. Now it's valued between $250-295, a nice return over the years. Do your research on this one before you sell it if that is your plan. A rough estimate on my part would put yours at between $350-750 with a lot of variables on final value.

Attachments

• brass.jpg
    brass.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 240

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Here's what I believe you have, a PFM/United Seirra 2-6-6-2 as seen on the back cover of MR magazine in June '72 (boy, I miss those ads). A Mitchel's ad in the July '76 issue sold it at $175-225, depending on the variation desired. It appears that you could get it painted from the factory by Terry Industries. If you want a copy of the full PFM ad, I'll email it to you. It's got a great shot of it, painted, weathered and photographed by the Wizard of Montery, John Allen, one of the early greats in model railroading.

Attachments

• brass3.jpg
    brass3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 226

tt22cc

Jan 17, 2005
That is the one and probably not looking to sell it for sentimental reasons. Thanks. I hope to have some pics up on it in a few day or so. I will also take some pics of another loco I have but with no information on it.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
tt22cc said:
That is the one and probably not looking to sell it for sentimental reasons. Thanks. I hope to have some pics up on it in a few day or so. I will also take some pics of another loco I have but with no information on it.

I'm glad I could help you. The Mogul I have I could never sell either. It was given to me by some folks I had known only a short time. I helped them dispose of a late friend's estate and they gave it to me, believing that their friend would have wanted it that way. It's the only brass loco I own and a cherished member of my engine roster. I'm hoping to find an original PFM ad to frame and display with it.

JBBVry

May 14, 2004
Thomasville NC
groups.yahoo.com
well what you have is a nice pice of brass if it does not work take it to somone and have them clean it, and it will work fine. there is allmost allways one or more of them on ebay for sale but they go pretty high at times.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One thing to be careful about is that some of the early brass from Japan received 2 volt motors instead of 12 volt motors by mistake. The affected engines were recalled for correction, but less than 10% were returned. It showed that most buyers were collecting brass, and not interested in running it. I'm not sure if your locomotive was one of those or not.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
While poking around at an antique store, I found a 9" X 13" black and white photo of Sierra Railways #38, the prototype for the United model.
They are a little noisy (gear tower whine), but otherwise are great running engines. Originally built as oil burners, I've converted mine to coal burners, adding a single cylinder mechanical stoker.

Attachments

• sierras.jpg
    sierras.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 130

tt22cc

Jan 17, 2005
Finally Have Pics

They arn't the greatest pics but it should give you an idea