1st structure in my sawmill complex complete

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by rlundy90, Nov 7, 2007.

1. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

I managed to get the wood glued into the lumber rack. I wanted it to look like a busy lumber yard so cut a bunch of my own out of tongue depressors to load the shelves. The kit doesn't supply much for the lumber rack and in very limited sizes.

Attached Files:

2. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Neat work. I've got to build a small rack for my sawmill myself.
  3. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

Now its time to add a few sub assemblies and trial fit the roof before adding the roof covering.

Attached Files:

4. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

I use real cedar shingles for most of my structures as I really like the look of them. Takes forever to apply them, though.

Attached Files:

5. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

its good to hear from you again rlundy :thumb: you have got some GREAT looking structures there! cant wait to see'em on a layout :D --josh
  6. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

as for shingles,what company do you use? i was going to try sierra scale models shingle strips.--josh
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I'm going to make an assumption here, that these are individual shingles cut from cigar wrappers, or from plane shavings.
    Taking forever?, shingle strips can be just as time consuming...getting each strip properly lined up with the previously applied strip. Individual shingles produce a true random color pattern that can't be done well, any other way.
  8. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

Hi guys. The shingles I am using come from Seirra Scale Models. They come in packs with five sheets 2 1/2" X 5 1/2".They are then cut to size. They also come in three different thicknesses. I am using the middle thickness now, but next time will try the thin ones also. It is very labour intensive, but I am shingling while watching TV so it goes along at a fairly steady pace. As for weathering them I am still experimenting with them. I have tried several different ways now and am still not thoroughly pleased with the results, although they all look ok. Here's the completed roof. Now just the tarpaper roof to do.

Attached Files:

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Beautiful...
  10. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

Thanks Mountainman. Taking a day off from modelling so nothing new to show today. Have to get my garden cultivated so we can plant by the weekend. So far it has been too cold and wet for gardening.
  11. willy4

willy4 Member

rlundy

Very nice work. Maybe I missed it, but what scale. In the first pictures, is that a tin roof?

Bill or willy4
  12. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

They are both Campbell Scale model kits in HO scale. The main roof on the first structure is metal that comes in the kit. It looks like tin foil before it is painted. Ron.
  13. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

Well I finally managed to get some time for a little modelling.Only a little more to go now. Just have to join this building to the 1st one with a pipe from the cyclone assembly to the mill building.

Attached Files:

14. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

This is how the models look when put together. Just have to plant the buildings now and do a few details. Then it will be ready for the layout when it gets underway.

Attached Files:

15. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

WoW...That's some excellent modeling..!! I too like to work with wood kits...but something like that would drive me up a wall....Congrats on a couple of really beautiful structures....!!

You say you used tongue depressors for lumber..?? I need to fill up some racks on a wood distributor...
  16. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

Thanks Steamhead. Yes, most of the lumber is made from tongue depressors I bought at a dollar store. I just cut them to length and then slice em up in the size I want. I also used balso wood to get some different color and texture.
  17. willy4

willy4 Member

Very nice work. I like the background, it looks like mine.

Bill:thumb:
  18. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I think we all share pretty much that same background....!!! :roll1:
  19. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

Here's a better picture of the background. My next project is a DVD on how to make this realistic backdrop in just a few evenings. Its so easy anyone can do it.

Attached Files:

20. inqzitr

inqzitr Member

hahahahahahaha!