1st Attempt @ Mt. building

JKountz

Dec 31, 2005
Wild Wonderful WV
Hey folks, this is my first attempt at making a mountain for my new layout. Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome. My son and I made this thing last night and it went pretty good all considered. Been out of this hobby for about 25 years but am getting back into it now and Im loving it all over again!

Jim

Attachments

• Mountain 001.jpg
    Mountain 001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 35

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Congratulations on your first mountain scaling attempt. :thumb: It dose look like it needs another coat of plaster to cover up the texture of the substrate. I would also point out that although this is fun, you should have laid your track first, before building the mountain. Now it will be a challenge to lay the track inside the cavity and even harder to trouble shoot any problems that could crop up with the track. :rolleyes:

I don't want to discourage you, keep up the good work. I just think you need to get all your ducks in a row. ;) :D But then, I don't know how you plan to use this mountain.

TrainClown :wave:

L

lester perry

TrainClown said:
Now it will be a challenge to lay the track inside the cavity and even harder to trouble shoot any problems that could crop up with the track.
rolleyes.gif

TrainClown
wave.gif
Looks to me as though the back of it is open. I sure hope it is. If that is the case track should be no problem. Also I understand doing plaster first if possible, hard to get off track if you get it on it.

JKountz

Dec 31, 2005
Wild Wonderful WV
Hey thanks for the comments everyone, it was fun doing this and Im looking forward to doing some more of it. The scale is HO. The openings are a bit bigger than needed but they will get a portal in front later on then I'll just blend them in I guess. Lester, my son is 9 and seems to be into this stuff. Were going to a big show this weekend in Timonium, MD so that should really ignite some interest. And yes you;re right the back of the mountain was left open for installing track. Actually I kinda just built this one to see how hard or easy it was but then it turned out good enough to use I think. We'll see!!

Jim

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hi Jim,

I bought this old engine a few years ago in a box of junk I got at the local RR club auction. It had missing parts and was in bad need of a complete cleaning.

I rebuilt the motor, cleaned and lubed it. Made a new front for the boiler out of 2 buttons. Made the stack and the lamp. Installed a new cab off another engine shell that was in the junk box (the original was broke). Put on a new bell. Cobbled together the tender from junk parts. And painted it.

Still not done yet.

The stack needs rivets and a better fit to the boiler.
Lamp needs a liner so the light doesn't escape, and the lens installed.
Wood pile in the tender.
Additional pick ups on the tender wheels.
More and better rust.
Grab irons and hand rails.

But in the mean time, here's a better pic for you.
aal.sized.jpg

aam.jpg

Before Paint.

aap.jpg

It's current location in my fish tank display case.
aat.jpg

I just love those wood-burners.

TrainClown :wave:

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
JKountz said:
Hey folks, this is my first attempt at making a mountain for my new layout. Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome. My son and I made this thing last night and it went pretty good all considered. Been out of this hobby for about 25 years but am getting back into it now and Im loving it all over again!

Jim

very good, especially for your first time. you should post updated pics when you get it painted and have trees on it and all