1mm cardstock... where in calfornia?

jnyoun

Yeh... You are absolutely right. I am very glad to get great helps from this site. Also, I appreciate all the answers on my question.

I will post the pictures of my current buidlings soon. In fact, I finished the hull building two days ago. It was so nice and I myself was very proud of it. Unfortunately, a bad thing happened and I am thinking to build it again this weekend.

What happened was I was trying to clean some glue residue on the hull bottome (red aread). I thought it might be cleaned with a little wet paper towel. So, I soaked a paper tower and squeezed it. However, I forgot to dry my hand. When I picked up the hull for cleaning, water dropped from my hand TO the hull. I haven't coated anything yet and I forgot it was inkjet printing. The worst thing was I tried to sweep the water with the wet paper towel. (All this thing happened so quickly without a time to think about consequence). Now, you can guess how the hull looks like.

The lesson I learned.... Don't clean the surface with wet towel. :)

I will post a picture this evening...

Thanks

JN

jnyoun

Yeh... You are absolutely right. I am very glad to get great helps from this site. Also, I appreciate all the answers on my question.

I will post the pictures of my current buidlings soon. In fact, I finished the hull building two days ago. It was so nice and I myself was very proud of it. Unfortunately, a bad thing happened and I am thinking to build it again this weekend.

What happened was I was trying to clean some glue residue on the hull bottome (red aread). I thought it might be cleaned with a little wet paper towel. So, I soaked a paper tower and squeezed it. However, I forgot to dry my hand. When I picked up the hull for cleaning, water dropped from my hand TO the hull. I haven't coated anything yet and I forgot it was inkjet printing. The worst thing was I tried to sweep the water with the wet paper towel. (All this thing happened so quickly without a time to think about consequence). Now, you can guess how the hull looks like.

The lesson I learned.... Don't clean the surface with wet towel. :)

I will post a picture this evening...

Thanks

JN

jnyoun

Jim Nunn said:
JN

Where in California? If you are in Southern California drop me a personal note and I will give you my address and show you how to make your own card stock.

I prefer to make my own for several reasons first I can get the exact thickness. you would be surprised how the thickness of the backing stock will affect the finished model. Secondly laminated stock has a very fine consistency most scrap card stock is like working with chip board.

Jim Nunn

I wish I live in Southern California. I live in San Jose and I think it is Northern California, right? Thanks for your help.

JN

jnyoun

Jim Nunn said:
JN

Where in California? If you are in Southern California drop me a personal note and I will give you my address and show you how to make your own card stock.

I prefer to make my own for several reasons first I can get the exact thickness. you would be surprised how the thickness of the backing stock will affect the finished model. Secondly laminated stock has a very fine consistency most scrap card stock is like working with chip board.

Jim Nunn

I wish I live in Southern California. I live in San Jose and I think it is Northern California, right? Thanks for your help.

JN

cdcoyle

jnyoun said:
I wish I live in Southern California. I live in San Jose and I think it is Northern California, right?

I lived in Humboldt County for many years...we considered Southern California to start at the Mendocino/Sonoma county line. :wink:

Back to the topic...

cdcoyle

jnyoun said:
I wish I live in Southern California. I live in San Jose and I think it is Northern California, right?

I lived in Humboldt County for many years...we considered Southern California to start at the Mendocino/Sonoma county line. :wink:

Back to the topic...

jnyoun

Here comes the pictures. This is my first trial with Paper Model. I just learned many things by building this. I hope to be much better in my second trial. You see the spot I mentioned by wiping out the water with wet towel. :grin:

jnyoun

Here comes the pictures. This is my first trial with Paper Model. I just learned many things by building this. I hope to be much better in my second trial. You see the spot I mentioned by wiping out the water with wet towel. :grin:

J

Jim Nunn

jnyoun said:
This is my first trial with Paper Model. I just learned many things by building this. I hope to be much better in my second trial. You see the spot I mentioned by wiping out the water with wet towel.

My first impression is that this is shows very good workmanship and when you consider that this is your first model I would say that you are well on your way to becoming a skilled paper modeler.

As for the water mark next time try blotting the spot not wiping it less ink is removed. On the other hand I have been under large ships when they are in dry dock and the paint is various shades of color so just call it “weathering”. If you want to try to patch it get some watercolor paints and see if you can match the color of the hull, with a little practice you can hide a lot of errors with a little color matching.

Jim Nunn

J

Jim Nunn

jnyoun said:
This is my first trial with Paper Model. I just learned many things by building this. I hope to be much better in my second trial. You see the spot I mentioned by wiping out the water with wet towel.

My first impression is that this is shows very good workmanship and when you consider that this is your first model I would say that you are well on your way to becoming a skilled paper modeler.

As for the water mark next time try blotting the spot not wiping it less ink is removed. On the other hand I have been under large ships when they are in dry dock and the paint is various shades of color so just call it “weathering”. If you want to try to patch it get some watercolor paints and see if you can match the color of the hull, with a little practice you can hide a lot of errors with a little color matching.

Jim Nunn

Bowdenja

It's on the bottom....................... the the person that picks it up, turns it over and says something............. well just go ahead and slap them............ I'm sure everyone here will agree!:grin:

It looks fantastic. I have YET to make a ship that I can take a picture of and anyone will go "Hey nice ship!"

I get it..........Ummmm....... miss the trash can........did ya?

You might want to try some edge coloring..............or it could just be the camera angle and flash. AND like Jim suggested..........you could always paint the hull bottom.

But I think it looks great now!

john

Bowdenja

It's on the bottom....................... the the person that picks it up, turns it over and says something............. well just go ahead and slap them............ I'm sure everyone here will agree!:grin:

It looks fantastic. I have YET to make a ship that I can take a picture of and anyone will go "Hey nice ship!"

I get it..........Ummmm....... miss the trash can........did ya?

You might want to try some edge coloring..............or it could just be the camera angle and flash. AND like Jim suggested..........you could always paint the hull bottom.

But I think it looks great now!

john

MOS95B

For your first model, you picked a ship??? Braver man than I...

I think it looks great!! What's one minor paint flaw among friends?? And I agree with Bowdenja, if anyone feels like pointing it out, give them on of these...
slap.gif
Tell them it's from us if it helps....

MOS95B

For your first model, you picked a ship??? Braver man than I...

I think it looks great!! What's one minor paint flaw among friends?? And I agree with Bowdenja, if anyone feels like pointing it out, give them on of these...
slap.gif
Tell them it's from us if it helps....

jnyoun

jnyoun said:
I will post the pictures of my current buidlings soon. In fact, I finished the hull building two days ago. It was so nice and I myself was very proud of it.

I told you.:grin: It was not bad. Actually I like the hull.

jnyoun said:
I am very glad to get great helps from this site. Also, I appreciate all the answers on my question.

Also, I got a lot of techniques and know-hows from this site. Once again, thanks to all.

I had been building 'plastic models' for years. However, I was so tired with 'putting', 'sanding' and 'painting' things. It requires too much time for 3 kids' father. More than 10 kits are still on the shelf. However, it is hard to take one and start to build it because of limited time and space. Maybe reserved after retirement.

With paper model, I thought I can work with my kids (of course, when I built this, I said too many times 'Don't touch please...' to them). I might be too nervous because it was my first model. I think it will be better sooner.

This time, I decided to try 'laser print version'. I hope it is more water-resistent. I already printed all the diagrams and started to make hull. The color looks more crisp and clean.

I am thinking to make another 'My first model Building: Gremir's HMS Onslow' thread soon. Please feel free to visit there.

Thanks again,

JN

jnyoun

jnyoun said:
I will post the pictures of my current buidlings soon. In fact, I finished the hull building two days ago. It was so nice and I myself was very proud of it.

I told you.:grin: It was not bad. Actually I like the hull.

jnyoun said:
I am very glad to get great helps from this site. Also, I appreciate all the answers on my question.

Also, I got a lot of techniques and know-hows from this site. Once again, thanks to all.

I had been building 'plastic models' for years. However, I was so tired with 'putting', 'sanding' and 'painting' things. It requires too much time for 3 kids' father. More than 10 kits are still on the shelf. However, it is hard to take one and start to build it because of limited time and space. Maybe reserved after retirement.

With paper model, I thought I can work with my kids (of course, when I built this, I said too many times 'Don't touch please...' to them). I might be too nervous because it was my first model. I think it will be better sooner.

This time, I decided to try 'laser print version'. I hope it is more water-resistent. I already printed all the diagrams and started to make hull. The color looks more crisp and clean.

I am thinking to make another 'My first model Building: Gremir's HMS Onslow' thread soon. Please feel free to visit there.

Thanks again,

JN

Bowdenja

Be careful with the laser print............ it is heat treated to the surface of the paper, so therefore it breaks and flakes whenever a part has to be bent.

Most folks don't like it................. on the inkjet print you can set the ink and protect it better by applying a finish spary over top of the print. The omes made for artist to cover their work do well, thewre are several suggested brands to try. This will allow a little more leeway as far as water on paper or glue resedue..................also makes a more durable (color lasting) model.

john

Bowdenja

Be careful with the laser print............ it is heat treated to the surface of the paper, so therefore it breaks and flakes whenever a part has to be bent.

Most folks don't like it................. on the inkjet print you can set the ink and protect it better by applying a finish spary over top of the print. The omes made for artist to cover their work do well, thewre are several suggested brands to try. This will allow a little more leeway as far as water on paper or glue resedue..................also makes a more durable (color lasting) model.

john