1mm cardstock... where in calfornia?

BARX2

I happen to have quite a few sheets of balsa I bought when I was building model rockets (Estes type). I used 16th inch balsa to make the frame for Nobi's Horten XIIIb, which is almost completed. Something I didn't consider was that the thickness of the balsa changed the dimensions of the frame slightly and the skins didn't fit great. I ended up doing a lot of trimming and sanding to get it fit, though it's not the best fit. The 16th inch balsa is also pretty flimsy and warps when you wet it with glue. I won't do that again. :cry:

BARX2

I happen to have quite a few sheets of balsa I bought when I was building model rockets (Estes type). I used 16th inch balsa to make the frame for Nobi's Horten XIIIb, which is almost completed. Something I didn't consider was that the thickness of the balsa changed the dimensions of the frame slightly and the skins didn't fit great. I ended up doing a lot of trimming and sanding to get it fit, though it's not the best fit. The 16th inch balsa is also pretty flimsy and warps when you wet it with glue. I won't do that again. :cry:

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
Look up Matte Board at art supply stores. You can get it in large sheets. It's a good investment.

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
Look up Matte Board at art supply stores. You can get it in large sheets. It's a good investment.

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
Doh! (Slaps forehead) I recall know hearing the matte board suggestion before. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Cheers!

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
Doh! (Slaps forehead) I recall know hearing the matte board suggestion before. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Cheers!

sakrison

Banned
Jul 5, 2006
SCEtoAux said:
Check places that frame pictures and ask for the cast-off pieces of matte board. Some of those places will let you have the pieces for free. Saves them room in the dumpster. A small digital caliper like what you can get from Harbor Freight Tools will help in measuring the thickness.:)

Matte board is a problem. It's much denser than "paper board" that we modelers normally use; it's usually about 1.5-2mm thick, and unless you're building something really huge, it's going to be too thick and too much trouble to cut.

Yellow writing pads, candy boxes, and art supplies are a better bet.
--David

sakrison

Banned
Jul 5, 2006
SCEtoAux said:
Check places that frame pictures and ask for the cast-off pieces of matte board. Some of those places will let you have the pieces for free. Saves them room in the dumpster. A small digital caliper like what you can get from Harbor Freight Tools will help in measuring the thickness.:)

Matte board is a problem. It's much denser than "paper board" that we modelers normally use; it's usually about 1.5-2mm thick, and unless you're building something really huge, it's going to be too thick and too much trouble to cut.

Yellow writing pads, candy boxes, and art supplies are a better bet.
--David

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Thanks for lots of helps. After reading your replies, I searched my garage and surprized how many cardboards are there, all different kind of cardboards.

One thing I found really interested was 'LEGO star wars box (star destroyer)'. It is rigid and looks about 1mm and box itself is huge!!! Unfortunately, my son will not be happy if I take it.:cry:

Since I have no clear idea how 1mm or 2mm cardstock looks like, I am going to try some from www.papermodelstore.com. Once I see the actual 1mm cardstock, then I think I will be able to find a match in the stuff in garage.

By the way, is it right to use 1mm cardstock for the hull (specially Gremir onslow 1/200)?

Thanks again,

JN

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Thanks for lots of helps. After reading your replies, I searched my garage and surprized how many cardboards are there, all different kind of cardboards.

One thing I found really interested was 'LEGO star wars box (star destroyer)'. It is rigid and looks about 1mm and box itself is huge!!! Unfortunately, my son will not be happy if I take it.:cry:

Since I have no clear idea how 1mm or 2mm cardstock looks like, I am going to try some from www.papermodelstore.com. Once I see the actual 1mm cardstock, then I think I will be able to find a match in the stuff in garage.

By the way, is it right to use 1mm cardstock for the hull (specially Gremir onslow 1/200)?

Thanks again,

JN

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
I made a big order from www.papermodelstore.com (over $100) on various models. Originally, I intended to purchase only 1mm card stock. However, while browsing, I was again attracted by fantastic models. I kept push them into shopping cart and completely forgot about 1mm cardstock. And, pushed 'the payment button'.

After finishing the order, I felt something was missing. Oh...No.... I forgot to buy 1mm cardstock. I came back to the web site and tried to order 1mm cardstock. Ooooopppppsss.... The shipping charge is over $10. So, I gave up...

I don't know what I did... This hobby seems to drive me crazy (and very addictive).

I called my friend who is running a mailing service company and asked whether they carry 1mm cardstock. He suggested me to try 'Kelly Paper'. I drove there. One of the stores is located within 2 miles.

Thanks God! I found 0.036" cardstock there. It is not exactly 1mm, but with one sheet lamination, it is going to be very close to 1mm. 2$/sheet for 22x28 size. I purchased 5 of them.

Now mission completed...

Thanks

JN

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
I made a big order from www.papermodelstore.com (over $100) on various models. Originally, I intended to purchase only 1mm card stock. However, while browsing, I was again attracted by fantastic models. I kept push them into shopping cart and completely forgot about 1mm cardstock. And, pushed 'the payment button'.

After finishing the order, I felt something was missing. Oh...No.... I forgot to buy 1mm cardstock. I came back to the web site and tried to order 1mm cardstock. Ooooopppppsss.... The shipping charge is over $10. So, I gave up...

I don't know what I did... This hobby seems to drive me crazy (and very addictive).

I called my friend who is running a mailing service company and asked whether they carry 1mm cardstock. He suggested me to try 'Kelly Paper'. I drove there. One of the stores is located within 2 miles.

Thanks God! I found 0.036" cardstock there. It is not exactly 1mm, but with one sheet lamination, it is going to be very close to 1mm. 2$/sheet for 22x28 size. I purchased 5 of them.

Now mission completed...

Thanks

JN

J

Jim Nunn

JN

Where in California? If you are in Southern California drop me a personal note and I will give you my address and show you how to make your own card stock.

I prefer to make my own for several reasons first I can get the exact thickness. you would be surprised how the thickness of the backing stock will affect the finished model. Secondly laminated stock has a very fine consistency most scrap card stock is like working with chip board.

Jim Nunn

J

Jim Nunn

JN

Where in California? If you are in Southern California drop me a personal note and I will give you my address and show you how to make your own card stock.

I prefer to make my own for several reasons first I can get the exact thickness. you would be surprised how the thickness of the backing stock will affect the finished model. Secondly laminated stock has a very fine consistency most scrap card stock is like working with chip board.

Jim Nunn

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Roughly 16 answers to a question from a new modeler............ in less than a week. And I my add all were very good answers!

This is why this is such a good site.

Welcome to the hobby jnyoun! You will find that no question is dumb or stupid and you will get answers that are pretty close to more than you would have expected. Also you will get opinions, observations, and cold hard facts!

Post some pictures of your build, if you can. Remember that soki2000 is Michael Krol, who is GreMir models and will be very helpful IF you run into a problem. Also you just might be able to talk with the designer of a model you are working on, we get lots of them here too!

One more thing........... you will find that the habits, techniques, and tools you develope now, will effect how you do things later. Browse the site and look at the build thread that show tips, techniques, and have tool suggestions. Starting out right can save frustration later................and speaking from my experience........ bad habits are hard to break!

There are some great modelers here and you will be learning and asking some of the best................have fun! I personally think you just found the best hobby of your life!

john

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Roughly 16 answers to a question from a new modeler............ in less than a week. And I my add all were very good answers!

This is why this is such a good site.

Welcome to the hobby jnyoun! You will find that no question is dumb or stupid and you will get answers that are pretty close to more than you would have expected. Also you will get opinions, observations, and cold hard facts!

Post some pictures of your build, if you can. Remember that soki2000 is Michael Krol, who is GreMir models and will be very helpful IF you run into a problem. Also you just might be able to talk with the designer of a model you are working on, we get lots of them here too!

One more thing........... you will find that the habits, techniques, and tools you develope now, will effect how you do things later. Browse the site and look at the build thread that show tips, techniques, and have tool suggestions. Starting out right can save frustration later................and speaking from my experience........ bad habits are hard to break!

There are some great modelers here and you will be learning and asking some of the best................have fun! I personally think you just found the best hobby of your life!

john