1985 The last time the Southern was in Bryson City

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hey, Tyson! How 'bout you decide on twelve photos of your own that you like the best; convert them into about 600+ calendars for the year 2003, and send one to each member of The Gauge for Christmas this year. In fact, I'll take two!!!

Serio;) :) :cool: :D :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, your photos are works of art and I enjoy checking them out each time you post.
Even my non-trainnut wife likes them! Keep 'em coming....

Matt--Chocolatetown, Pa.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Tyson, That's a Grade A photo. It would have fooled me too had you not spilled the beans:D I've always liked B&W photos, seems like I can see more detail in them.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Tyson -

You do a Smokey Mountain train calendar, and I will buy a couple !!!

Trains, great photography, and the best spot on Earth - who could beat that!!!

- George

PS It would replace the Smokey Mountain National Park calendar I have for THIS year. Did I ever tell you my father was one of the civil engineers who built the Blue Ridge Parkway ???

- G

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
how far

Tyson, just wondering how far you are from I-95? I used to have an atlas but its gone and was going to buy one tonight but forgot.

the traction is slipping..the trannies slipping..the mind is gone:) :D :)

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Shane quite aways. As soon as you cross into N.C. you hit Roanoke Rapids, take 158 west to Henderson, pick-up I-85 south to Durham, then I-40 west to Waynesville, then 23/74 to Bryson City. Translated depending on your driving habits 7- 9 hours would be my guess.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Wow, thats quite a ways. I'm going to Florida for a week before I get surgery. I have to pick up my kids, but I figure I can check out some bikini's...I mean beaches when I get there. I know i'll be hitting a train store or three :D :D :D

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
FLASH........................

Word has it around the yards that the box car in Tyson's picture actually contains a certain "crate" which disappeared in Mexico. Sources report that some of the marking on the crate and the rather battered condition would suggest that it not only has been to Mexico, but also Scotland. The crate is so battered it can no longer be transported on a flatcar, but needs to be kept in out of the Tarheel weather (constant 100% humidity).:D :D

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shane;

I'm afraid the question goes begging?? What Rock Island trackage:confused: :confused:

I grew up in Council Bluffs, Iowa and in those days before TV the Rock Island Line was a mighty fine Road. Last time I looked under the bridge there were no tracks to be seen:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Even all the bankrupt blue hoppers were all gone!!

Bob