1950 ho gauge steam type train set

popsmorris

need help finding out about this train (value etc.)
more info update: Scintilla (rail and power works) ho model u56a uncoupler re-railer ho gauge trestle set power pack-universal power master Allstate

Hello popsmorris

Do you have more info about the set (manufacturer, number and description of items in set, ...)?
It would be very useful too if you can post some pics of set. It's possible that, after seeing it, some member can give you any info.

Vic

Sounds like it may be a Louis Marx and Co. trainset that was marketed thru the Sears Catalog....They put the name Allstate on a lot of stuff back then. Can you post a picture???

Vic

Allstate Trainset

This is from an article written by Charles Dickson PHD. (whoever that is):D :D :D

In 1951 the Sears' toy catalog, now referred to as a "Wish Book" contained dolls for girls and trucks and trains for boys. A Lionel train set with a 671 turbine engine sold for a pricey $62. Today, the engine alone commands $300 or more. In the early to mid 1950s toy electric trains dominated the toy catalogs with Lionel and Marx leading the way. Sears used the term HAPPI-TIME, for its less-expensive Marx trains and this was later changed to a more serious sounding ALLSTATE. Virtually every type of electric accessory was offered as well as some non-electric wind-up trains by Marx which could be purchased for less than ten dollars. One man tells of how when he was a boy, he would cut out the catalog's pictures and paste them to his want list which he sent to Santa Claus. This was just an added measure to make sure Santa didn't make any mistakes in delivering him the exact toys he wanted. "I figured it was much easier than writing and surely faster for Santa" He went on to explain, "By the way, I never received a fraction of all that I wanted". That sure sounds familiar.