17th Century Naval Cannon

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I've aluded to this project in other threads, but as it is very close to completion I think it a great time to show some teaser build shots. This (like most of my models) will be available in 1:50 and 1:35 scale, and will eventually be accompanied by an appropriate British Naval crew.

The title says it all, but the cannon will be made of detailed components and will feature a pivoting (elevation) assembly, potentially moving wheels and chock-block wedges for elevation support. I've not decided yet (although if I do it will extend release probably until Christmas) but I may include a second bore size with a shorter barrel. (I'd estimate this at the standard 32 lb shot, although at this scale it is really impossible to notice minor variations).

This is the first of my builds that was fully textured before I printed any part of it, with only minor component details (rivets, etc) missing from the final wood carriage textures. It might be hard to tell from the pictures, but the detail on the cannon is laminate build-up, a feature which worked better than I hoped. Note that the second shot is showing the barrel assembly, which fits into the cannon exterior tube.

I intend to work on the carriage tomorrow, and will likely have it complete (sans wheels) for more shots then.

Enjoy!
Tirick

100_2698.jpg

100_2699.jpg

100_2701.jpg

100_2708.jpg

100_2704.jpg

100_2702.jpg

(yes, I'm building two; as two fit on a page currently)

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I've finished the full assembly (of the modeled components), and aside from some minor tweaks, I think it works quite well. I've included some pictures with a 35mm Reaper miniature for scaling. As 35mm is very close to 1:50, I'm certain you'll get the idea. The entire model is about 5cm long, or 2.5 m (8 ft, 2 inches (or so)) to scale. I've built it with freely rotating wheels and a loose wedge (although the little blighter does keep falling out when shifted). Easy enough to tack them in place if you prefer. I hope to finish the modifications (and blocks/tools) and instructions within a few weeks, so easily before Christmas.

Little bits

Components

100_2725.jpg

100_2726.jpg

Another shot

Top View

100_2730.jpg

100_2731.jpg

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I've been playing around a little this morning, and I have a rough mock-up now for the cannon emplacement. It's not textured, but will serve as a good tool to showcase the gun and the blocks/tools that will be included (not yet modeled). I'll eventually clean it up and texture it, perhaps detailing better the upper deck. I know that the deck is probably a little tall (I've use a touch more than 6 ft from the deck to the beams), but it will show a little better this way I suspect.

I also did some closer examinations of my measurements. This bore is closer to an 18 lb shot, rather that the 32 I'd assumed. As such it is more suited to an upper deck, or 'castle, although some frigates still carried 18-24 pounders on their main gun deck.

Off to model the bits...

Cannon-006.jpg

Cannon-008.jpg

Cannon-010.jpg

Cannon-009.jpg

Cannon-011.jpg

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I'm glad I could be an inspiration. Were I tackling that I would likely start with a 12-sided tapered cylinder, easy enough in a 3d modeling program (I use Blender).

I have some texture tweaking to do (I'm not happy with the carriage), but all of the modeling is now complete. I've attached some pictures so that you can see what to expect with regards to the parts that will be included.

While I will not be texturing it anytime soon, I will make available the 'set' parts for posing and display purposes. I imagine I will just bundle it in with the cannon itself.

Cannon-012.jpg

Cannon-013.jpg

Cannon-014.jpg

Note that the third image shows the blocks that open the gunport. There are also little ring-bolts that will be included to attach to the gunport door.

I have the 'set' parts printed and I hope to have (assuming I can find thread/twine in the right sizes) a display put together within a week or so.

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Emplacement rough-ins are now built. I have an upper deck section, but for display I may use a clear acetate panel. Aside from some minor adjustments to the door, I'm nearly done. All of the components are modeled and printed, I hope to build those over the next few days.

100_2735.jpg

100_2736.jpg

100_2737.jpg

100_2739.jpg

With instructions and the holidays I imagine this will drift into a new-year release.

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
The Naval cannon, complete with fittings, tools and emplacement, is now available in the TCF Gaming store. In the next week or so I plan to put together a proper diorama with some of the display options. I don't have 'duck' trousers modeled yet to show figurines with, but I imagine the tunic and trousers of the Man at Arms set might serve for a sans culottes seaman.

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
The diorama is now complete, using a bit of thin thread, embroidery floss and parts from the Man at Arms and Expansion. Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with the result (although its used up my 'store' of pre-built figurine components).

I've a large collection of images, although I'll only display a few here, the rest will be in the inline links.

To start, I've a few shots of the emplacement before I added figures. I regret not using a white background, but its too late to correct now. I used thick thread for the tackle and embroidery floss for the cascabel rope. The floss is very lightly woven, so I had a bit of a fight keeping it together. They are about 1" and 2" to scale respectively (I built it to 1:50).

100_2835.jpg

A side angle

Top down

Another angle

Assembling the figures took about 2-3 hours, about 1/2 hour per figure. I only modeled 5, rather than the typical 6 as I do not have a figure suitable for a powder monkey. These first few shots are before I touched up the white spaces, to give you an idea of the detail right from assembly.

100_2845.jpg

Side View

Along the gun

From above

Another angle

To give you a sense of scale, the whole assembly fits in the palm of my hand:

100_2855.jpg

Finally, I took a 1/2 hour to touch up the obvious whitespaces, and present the final diorama.

100_2859.jpg

Side view

Along the gun

Opposite side

Bit of a top-angle view

Enjoy!
Tirick