13 year old need help with layout

Nscalemodeler

Welcome to the hobby 13Mtrainer.

TrainClown, what program do you use to model the railroads and the scenery? You did an awesome job with the layout, it definitely has it all for such a small space.

spitfire

Nscalemodeler said:
Welcome to the hobby 13Mtrainer.

TrainClown, what program do you use to model the railroads and the scenery? You did an awesome job with the layout, it definitely has it all for such a small space.

I agree! Really nice work Chris!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Val

TrainClown

I use 3rd PlanIt to knock stuff up. A steep lerning curve, but now I can model almost anything in 3D (as long as the memory holds out) ;)

TrainClown :D

ausien

G`gay TC, re your post 08\22\04, great little plan, just right for a starter, but if HE is anything like me and other`s it wont stay simple or small for long, I modle in `N` gauge,my first wwas about 3x6, my fourth was 27x18x3levels, middle layer mostly hiden track. but was a problem (derailments from the kids bumping, fighting, ect...) My latest the Feather River is 12x14 15mths into building.

ausien

13 MT, hi and welcome the the hobby, you dont show your location, but where I hail from switches/turnouts are called points. here switches turn things on/off.... Have a good one..Steve..

ausien said:
13 MT, hi and welcome the the hobby, you dont show your location, but where I hail from switches/turnouts are called points. here switches turn things on/off.... Have a good one..Steve..

Turnouts are called 'Points' in teh UK and much of the commonwealth. In the US (and Canada?) they are called 'Switches'.

I presume 'points' comes from the 'pointed' tip of the actual turnout mechanism track. the US 'switch' comes from the lever used to change from one track to the other.

ausien

screwysquirrel said:
Turnouts are called 'Points' in teh UK and much of the commonwealth. In the US (and Canada?) they are called 'Switches'.

I presume 'points' comes from the 'pointed' tip of the actual turnout mechanism track. the US 'switch' comes from the lever used to change from one track to the other.

its more simple than that,points get there name from where 2 lines meet at a POINT.

sorry i have not posted on this thread for a long time but i was working hard on making my dream a reality. i started work on TrainClowns design. half way in i find my self in a perdicament. i could continue with this layout and finish it or i could start all over again in a biger space my basment. of course i chose the the bigger space because it would mean more space. what could be better. now that i have more room i have started an 8' by 8' layout. it is very simple planed. i have layed down a massive oval around the edges with a 5 track yard on on side. i know what i want to put in the middle of the layout. i will be putting in a steel mill and a scrap yard and a small mine, beside a mountain i put in for some scenery. i know what your all thinking he can't reach all of the tracks well heres the thing my layout is in the croll space. there is more room than than you think i just have to duck down. it is a sacrafice i was willing to make. my layout is 3" of the ground i can still wire my layout. so i can reach 4' in on 3 sides. i really like were my layout is because i can work with out disterbence. but i hate to bring this up but i do not know how to place my tracks for the steel mill, scrap yard and coal mine. if this helps my mountain is on the sid with the wall. i am not trying to be a pain about this because i ask for help in a newer thread. i forgot about this one.

KCS

Atlasrr.com has a new program that hasn't been out very long called RTS download. This is a free program that you can use to design a personal custom made layout to your liking's plus it keep's track of the cost as you build. I use it and it work's wonders. Do you have an AOL/AIM screen name I can reach you at? I'm a bit younger than most of these guy's on this site and I work with alot of younger people on thing's like this so it's nothing new to me.