13 year old need help with layout

TC, it will be suported by 2' x 4' all around the 2x4s will be on hingins for easy storge. the tracks will be be disconected and stored against the wall when i am not useing it. The layout has to make a U around the first layout (4' x 8'). the U shape can be 5' on the ends of the U shape and on the sides it can be 8' and on the top it can be 2' wide. is that all the specifics you need.

brakie

TC,That layout would not be all that hard to wire even for a beginner..You see by using Atlas remote switches and selectors that layout would be a breeze to wire. :thumb: I seen layouts more complicated then that in the Atlas layout books.
However,one might need a Government bailout for his railroad just to pay for the switches. :eek: :rolleyes: :wave: :D

TrainClown

13MT

Well, I was more interested in weather the benchwork was the sort of thing you wanted. No use me putting time into making a bunch of switches and stuff if it's not the right benchwork. A second mainline is no problem. I will add the stuff now, if the benchwork is right. That plan has the benchwork at 1.5 feet wide. Would you rather have it 2 feet wide? Tell me now and I'll make the change.

TrainClown
smilyengineer.gif

TrainClown

Yep. You got a good point there Ray. The lad will have to get himself a reacher or take the wing in the way off every time that happens. To each, his own, I guess. Personally I wouldn't set up a layout like this, but the lad has a dream and an idea of his own. And hey, this shouldn't be his last layout. He has lots to learn. Trial and error were always good teachers to me, but I did manage to glean pearls of wisdom from experienced friends I met along the way that helped me avoid what turned out to be obvious flaws, in what ever I was doing.

I think it's real neat that 13MT is so enthusiastic and eager to bring his vision to life.

Do what you really want to do,13MT. Make your best choice on the information you have assembled, as long as it makes you happy. Because, if your not happy, then you wont be a model railroader for long.

Update on the plan is on it's way soon. ;)

TrainClown :)

TrainClown

Okay, here it is. Alternat tracks could be placed as you see fit.

If you build it this way, then your going to need to have tracks that connect tabletop tp tabletop. check out this site on making lift bridges. It has alot of tricks that will help you make life more simple. Like PCB ties, etc.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/model-book/liftout/liftout.html

let me know what you think of this plan. :confused: :p

TrainClown
smilyengineer.gif

Attachments

• 13MT layout U 2.jpg
    13MT layout U 2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 192
hey TC, you out did your self on this one. i love this layout. but do you think you could make me one more? this time on the sides can you make it 4ft wide? and add a helix to go up to a second layout? i know this is a lot and will take me years to do but i want to get ahead of the game with layouts. and i am just gathering ideas all around

thans agian,
13MT

13Mtrainer said:
hey TC, you out did your self on this one. i love this layout. but do you think you could make me one more? this time on the sides can you make it 4ft wide? and add a helix to go up to a second layout? i know this is a lot and will take me years to do but i want to get ahead of the game with layouts. and i am just gathering ideas all around

thans agian,
13MT

13, before you make an 8x12 layout like that, as yourself if you can reach everything -- you don't want to climb all over the scenery, you'll break it!

More importantly, ask yourself if you are biting off more than you can chew. Since this is a first layout, I'd stick initially with just the 4x8 to start, then add the other parts _later_

the only change I'l make to what TC posted to make it 4 feet would be to make a 2-foot wide aisle between the other benchwork and the 4x8 so you can reach everything, connecting the two with a small module.

TrainClown

13MT. I think you have enough to get started. You know, putting down a bunch of tracks on a plan willy nilly is a bad idea. You need to have a better idea about what you want your railroad to do. Trains should be designed to do more than just make laps around a loop. My advice to you is to get started on your 4.5' x 8' layout and concentrate on that. Through working on that, you will get a better idea about what is possible and what is not.

Good luck with your first layout, and post some pix here on the Gauge to show us how it's going.

TrainClown ;)

13M, good luck with the layout. I agree that you should keep with the 4.5x8 and don't change your idea every post. Start with that and expand as time and money permits. Get some benchwork done, and post some pics!

You should thank TrainClown for all his help too, he's been informative. Even if he stole my engineer smiley face I created.:p