1 x 3 ft town

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Still working on my "N" track modules, working on my town of "Grizzly Summit". Setting an entire town up in such a limited space has been a real challange, I drew on a lot of ideas put out in this forum, especially some of yours Charlie. Have built all the structures up to a point to get their footprint and every night for several weeks I would rearrange the whole town, think I got it now. The town is laid out on a piece of 1/8" ply which I plan on cutting up for each building and it's surrounding lot. This jig-saw puzzle like idea will allow me to work at my bench on each stucture and it's landscaping. I'm pretty sure I can hide all the seams with sidewalk overlaps on the road, hedge rows and what not. Working at a bench will allow for a lot more detailing without having to bend over the layout. Each structure section will get glued in place as I complete them. The blue masking tape is the road outline, that and the spur track bed will be one continuous and interesting looking piece.

Attachments

• mvc-010s.jpg
    mvc-010s.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 228

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Here is an overhead shot of the town. It should be pretty clear as to where I have to cut out and section the plywood for each structure.

Attachments

• mvc-003s.jpg
    mvc-003s.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 222

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Using my digital camera I was able to shot some structures I made on my home layout. I scaled, printed and attached them to foam. The foam I cut wedge shaped to provide a pleasing prespective.

Attachments

• mvc-007s.jpg
    mvc-007s.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 221

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hey we even got a main street. The structures in the background are from the DPM website. Cheated by copying and scaling them.
(Shame on me :rolleyes: )

Attachments

• mvc-008s.jpg
    mvc-008s.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 210

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Biull,
You've done a great job of creating that illusion of depth, where there is actuall very little...
I really like the way the RR, & the streets criss-cross through the town.
Would love to see more!

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks fellows. Just when I think I got things nailed down, I see things and make a change here and there. I have a feeling that this setup can be an advantage and disadvantage. Have to reach a point and say "that's it, go with it and get started!" So much to do before September. Here is a shot of both modules together.

Attachments

• mvc-014s.jpg
    mvc-014s.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 164

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bill,
Terrific photo's and great idea for low relief structures, I was into N-scale some years ago, and did a similar kind of thing, but used real buildings cut up to represent structures in the town.

Attachments

• bi4a.jpg
    bi4a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 149