1/96 LUT Papercard Model

Cyana

Dear all,

long time no see ;) . I just wanted to give you a quick preview of the oncoming second part of the moon landing trilogy, the LUT:

LUT23.jpg

The construction is about halfway through, you are looking at a rendering from the actual papercard model. As most of you might know, the Crawler has been finished in 2010 after a construction time of 10 years. Well, I hope the LUT will be done faster than that ;)

LUT24.jpg

Swing arm #1. The first stage of the Saturn V is just a quick'n'dirty mock-up for illustration purpose.

sa124.jpg

Test build of swing arm #1. The arms will be swingable, and also the white service platform is movable to adjust the distance to the Saturn.

best greetings and thanks for looking
Cyana

Shipscape

It's going to look fantastic on top of the crawler.

Actually, the crawler that arrived a month ago may just take me 10 years to build so hopefully the LUT will be ready then. sign1
A beautiful kit.

Regards,
Fred

P_Luna

That's an incredible amount of detail! How many man-hours do you think it would take to build the LUT? I've always wanted to build a Vostok or Soyuz on a launchpad, but this looks like the winner of all launchpads!

Z

Zathros

Very detailed. The test build would be more than good enough for me. It is fantastic looking! :)

Rogerio Silva

Omg!!!

Dear all,

long time no see ;) . I just wanted to give you a quick preview of the oncoming second part of the moon landing trilogy, the LUT:

LUT23.jpg

The construction is about halfway through, you are looking at a rendering from the actual papercard model. As most of you might know, the Crawler has been finished in 2010 after a construction time of 10 years. Well, I hope the LUT will be done faster than that ;)

LUT24.jpg

Swing arm #1. The first stage of the Saturn V is just a quick'n'dirty mock-up for illustration purpose.

sa124.jpg

Test build of swing arm #1. The arms will be swingable, and also the white service platform is movable to adjust the distance to the Saturn.

best greetings and thanks for looking
Cyana

OMGOMGOMGOMG!!! Is that REALLY made of paper? If it is, then I'M NOT WORTHY! GREEEEEEEAAAAAT JOB!!!!
Greetings (in awe) from Brazil.

Last edited by a moderator:

mknorr

The build of the swing arm looks great. Will those lights be lightable? They do make very small LEDs these days. :)

Looking forward to more.

Cheers.
Manfred

Ridgeback

Cyana, you are one crazy dude! Magnificent work, but many of us will never have the skill, patience or dedication, LOL! You obviously have it all ... and more! :thumb:

Cyana

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your enthusiastic comments :) !
To answer the raised questions - the Crawler has 11.000 parts and takes 1 to 1.5 years to build. My estimate for the LUT is about three times more (parts as well as building time).

As for the lights - they are tiny. Not sure if there are LEDs available that would fit. The picture of the swing arm prototype was made against a smart cover of an 10" iPad. The actual length of the swing arm model is about 115mm / 4.5", so depending on your screen resolution the picture will be enlarged, more or less around 10 to 20%

LUT30.jpg

LUT36.jpg

best greetings and thanks!
cyana
(edit - enclosed latest pictures from the model rendering)

Ridgeback

I know it seems mean to say it, but it is your eventual forthcoming model of the Saturn V that I really want to see. The crawler was magnificent, and this LUT will no doubt be just as stunning, but for me it is the great, big, brooding hulk of a booster with it's relatively tiny CSM sitting on top that gets my imagination going (heavy sigh ...).

In any event, Cyana, it is a privilege to watch your utter dedication in producing these models - there just aren't any other models out there like these, in any genre! World class, without a doubt! :thumb:

Cyana

Thanks a lot Ridgeback, I really appreciate your kind comment. Actually, the Saturn V will widely be designed together with the LUT, to ensure the interfaces to the swing arms will fit. I had the great pleasure to see and touch the real Saturn V at KSC, and took tons of pictures. I'll never forget the moment when I stepped into the hall, having the first glance at the tail section with the giant F-1 engines of the first stage. It simply left me speechless. And I swear I will bring all that admiration and respect into the Saturn V model I felt in that very moment ...

Cyana

Dear all,

another huge milestone is cleared. The command module service arm or swing arm #9 is one of the most complicated substructures of the LUT, and namely the White Room caused a lot of investigations for references, drawings and fortune teller consultancies.

LUT50.png

And here we go. The comparison with the real thing looks promising. However, once the design was finished, I got an uneasy feeling about the construction. Is this thing buildable, anyway? So it was time for another test build. Also, the building instructions started to turn out overwhelming, something had to be done here either.

It was just by luck that I came across a nice piece of software right at that time. Basically, it converts your 3D-model into a 3D-PDF-file, simply viewable with Acrobat Reader. You can zoom, pan and rotate the model, isolate parts or group of parts, and capture scenes from different build stages. Unbelievable.

sa943.jpg

And this is how the model looks like. The display stands are models from the ones that were used during the construction of the real swing arm.

sa945.jpg

sa946.jpg

sa950.jpg

sa952.jpg

sa953.jpg

sa949.jpg

So, because this is a fundamental decision, I want to hear your opinion about the new way of publishing assembly procedures. I for myself am convinced this is the way to go - it's fast to create (the building instructions for the Crawler Transporter took about a half year to design), no production costs, and easy to update. For the builder no more guesswork how those damned parts are ment to be folded and fit together.

So for those who are interested and want to see how the oncoming LUT kit and its instructions will look like, the 1/96 Command Module Service Arm paper model kit is availabe as free download - please look here for the PDFs

enjoy
Cyana

Bhelliom

Thank you Cyana! All I can say is, WOW! Tye model looks amazing. I also had no idea a pdf could do that. The only problem I can see though, is for those who can't build near their computer. Can flat pages still be printed form the 3D instructions? I didn't think to test that when I looked at them.

Scott K.

McGee

Cory
I seriously cant even speak right now. all my words just packed their bags and left for the moon.